mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Scott scale 29er 960

Can anyone find a review of the Scott scale 29er 960. I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone who owns the 960 have an opinion and have you test ridden vs other brands. I went to my lbs but they didn't let me test ride. It feels super light for the price and seems to have good specs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    interested as well. specially compared to the 950 for $400 more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just looking at the specs, they have the same frame. The most significant difference is the coil with rebound adjustable fork on the 960. The 950 ha a new model Fox CTD air fork. From some early reviews it lacks some tunability. Last year the Reba had dual air with both positive and negative adjustable. RockShox made all their forks solo air, taking that away. I would get the 960 and bargain the price down 15-20%.. Scott raised prices 18% so there is room. Sell the XC 32 fork for 100 on ebay or craigslist. Buy a 2012 or 11 Reba from bluesky for 350. Or a Manitou Tower Pro. And come out way ahead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Why wouldn't they let you test ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow&Steady View Post
    Can anyone find a review of the Scott scale 29er 960. I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone who owns the 960 have an opinion and have you test ridden vs other brands. I went to my lbs but they didn't let me test ride. It feels super light for the price and seems to have good specs.
    I'm looking at this same bike. Ironically when I put it my wish list online at REI, 3 days later they went up $50 on the retail from $1299 to $1349. Doing the right thing when I called to complain they said they would honor the $1299 but for only 10 days. (I have 5 more days)

I have looked at just about every hardtail 29er in the Charlotte Metro area and been researching this stuff for 2 months now. From I can see the Scott Scale 960 is the best mix of components on any bike under $1300. IMO The added lever to lockout the fork from the bar is nice and not found on many bikes this range.

As far as the test ride, the above retailer has 100% satisfaction guarantee so I'll ride it and if I don't like it... will return.

Edit: Best components meaning for a brand new 2013 bike under $1,300. There are some very nice bikes out there to be found from 2012 or 2011 with great discounts. Unfortunately have not found my size.

mtbr member
    *EDIT* Nevermind
    Last edited by quote; 10-01-2012 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by quote View Post
    Wait, $1300? How?
    How what? What are you asking about $1,300 ?

mtbr member
    Sorry, thought we were talking about the Spark. :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is the XC 32 fork any good?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroge View Post
    is the XC 32 fork any good?
    It is a solo air version. Last year's Elite had the dual air version of the Reba.
    For 2013 Sram has dropped all dual air versions of their forks.
    If it turns out to be less than what you want, because it's new without any reviews, you can put a dual air Reba from bluesky on it for 350. Or a Manitou Tower Pro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    back to the subject matter...

Will be able to report on this bike soon. Feel like I got a decent deal since REI is now $1,419 and most online retails I find for this bike are over $1,400. REI honored the originally posted price of $1,299. Should have it in about a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've had my Scale 960 for about a two weeks now. It's fantastic for the riding and skill level I am at. I'm still getting used to the 29" wheels and how it turns, but it's fast and light. I knocked down the bar width some already. I have nothing to complain about so far, this bike is fast and it is everthing I expected! I can't wait to race it next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Great bike for $

Coming from an old 26er with weak components, this bike has exceeded my expectations. On purpose I rode the same trail 3-4 times in the 10 days before I got the Scott, rode nothing else and then rode the Scott on that trail 2-3 times and must say my times improved dramatically, places that I would sometimes slow to a stop or roots that would challenge me to no end became no problem.

The kicker to it all is I am a dude in his 40's that just got back on a bike after not riding at all the last 5-6 years and when I got this bike I decided man up and go clipless for the first time ever. So I got the shimmano XT pedals installed on it.. (yea I know, not a difficult install)... Everyone was like... oh man such a learning curve prepare to fail etc etc... Really? I say...

I watched 20 minutes of youtube on using clipless then rode around at a parking lot where the trail is for about 10 minutes and I must say... I don't see where the big learning curve is for clipless... but then again, I'm not getting airborn on the big jumps just the little drops and occasional very small jump...

I did test a Specialized and a Cannon in a price range very close to the Scott and found those bikes a bit lacking top to bottom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CLTncTRAILman View Post
    Coming from an old 26er with weak components, this bike has exceeded my expectations. On purpose I rode the same trail 3-4 times in the 10 days before I got the Scott, rode nothing else and then rode the Scott on that trail 2-3 times and must say my times improved dramatically, places that I would sometimes slow to a stop or roots that would challenge me to no end became no problem.

The kicker to it all is I am a dude in his 40's that just got back on a bike after not riding at all the last 5-6 years and when I got this bike I decided man up and go clipless for the first time ever. So I got the shimmano XT pedals installed on it.. (yea I know, not a difficult install)... Everyone was like... oh man such a learning curve prepare to fail etc etc... Really? I say...

I watched 20 minutes of youtube on using clipless then rode around at a parking lot where the trail is for about 10 minutes and I must say... I don't see where the big learning curve is for clipless... but then again, I'm not getting airborn on the big jumps just the little drops and occasional very small jump...

I did test a Specialized and a Cannon in a price range very close to the Scott and found those bikes a bit lacking top to bottom.
    What did ya not like about the Spec? I think the Scale is lighter overall and in rotational. I've been curious on Scott's more slack headtube angle.
    Last edited by zephxiii; 10-24-2012 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    What did ya like about the Spec? I think the Scale is lighter overall and in rotational. I've been curious on Scott's more slack headtube angle.
    I'm not a big fan of Suntour products and most bikes in the $1,000 to $1,400 range either had a Suntour fork, crank, or other. A lot of the others had Avid Alixer 1 (sp) breaks which I had read multiple negative things about those. The scott was mostly Shimmano.

Keep in mind I am only a few months back in to riding and I just came off an old Trek 4300 26er so the head tube angle of the Scott is a non issue for me. So far everything about the ride is an improvement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDrilz View Post
    interested as well. specially compared to the 950 for $400 more.
    Just bought one of these, love it! I must point out that it's a better frame than the 970 (which went back to an older frame for the 2013 models). Feels great to ride and so fair I am loving the RockShocks compared to previous spring forks.

Cheers,
    Karl

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is the bike I want

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Still loving the bike. There is one small change I will make in the spring. Change out the Rocket Ron tires... these tires are nice but built more for speed and does not handle the roots well if you catch them on a side angle. The tread pattern does fades quick as it approaches side wall.

Anyone have a suggestion for good set of 29er tires for trails in the Charlotte NC area? I don'twant to go tubeless.

Just to clarify the rockets and 29 rims handle rolling over roots well... can be tricky if not hit straight on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CLTncTRAILman View Post
    Still loving the bike. There is one small change I will make in the spring. Change out the Rocket Ron tires... these tires are nice but built more for speed and does not handle the roots well if you catch them on a side angle. The tread pattern does fades quick as it approaches side wall.
    I'm not a big fan of these tires either. Two rides, two flat tires. The trails in KC are a good mixture of rock, limestone ledges, roots, and hard pack clay. The tires feel soft when I hit edges of rocks and they don't inspire me to ride hard through them. I'm considering the Conti Trail King or the Conti Mountain King with the black chili compound. The reviews seem positive for both grip and protection. Not going to try tubeless just yet. Still not sure what size tire I can run yet but thinking 2.4 fr/2.2 rear.

Btw, bought the Scale 960 last month and love the bike! Great, I mean GREAT climber as well as doing an acceptable job of soaking up the bumps with the solo air fork. Will probably upgrade on the fork when/if it wears out. I'm just a weekend warrior so nothing too fancy for me. Really like the slacker head tube angle but I agree that the bars seem a little wide. The XT rear shifts quickly and confidently. Overall very pleased and can't wait to drier, warmer weather. It's 16 this morning. Brrr!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

... and if we just ...

Rockets have done a little better with less air pressure in regards to handling roots etc but I prefer more pressure. Let me know if you replace.
    More rides and bike is giving me more confidence. Took a few jumps I normally would ride through getting some modest air time
    and like how bike handles the small landings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2012 Scott 960 29er

I have a 2012 Scott 960 29er that I am selling for $1200. Buyer pays shipping. It was ridden one time. Email if interested. I will send the pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey Rob,

on the used 960...I can't email or PM because I am a newb. Do you still have it? If so, what size and where are you? You can actually send me an email, I believe.