mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Scott Scale 29 Comp is equivalent to?

I was reading this review:

Best Mountain Bikes Under $1,000 - Updated For 2012 - BikeRadar

That had good mentioning of the "Scott Scale 29 Comp" but i noticed all the model names/numbers on their website are different.

I'm interested in this bike as they mentioned it's handling characteristics are awesome due to sharing same geometry as a much higher end XC bike and that overall it is a really good package overall. Just kinda confused on their current model scheme. I guess it is a Scale 9xx, I wonder how the Aspec 9xx compares.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Scott Scale 970 is the equivalent to the Comp.

The Aspect is considered an All-Mountain/Trail hardtail, while the Scale is a Lightweight XC race frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Okay, that makes sense. I was actually at the Scott dealer today, test rode the Scale 29er Comp, and saw in their 2013 catalog that the 970 was the only thing equivalent.

The Scale felt light in total and in rotational weight. Pedaling position felt good, i could feel the short chainstays, but the front end felt weird. I think it felt weird as i was on a large and should have been on a medium (they didn't have one). I could also feel the slacker than norm headtube angle...not sure if i'm down with that.