mtbr member
    Oct 2007

scott ransom shock options ?

can anyone recommend me a shock to replace the equalizer shock off a ransom 40 ?
    thinking of a fox rp3 or rp23 was told 190mm eye 2 eye x 50mm stroke would fit and perform better than the equalizer ?
    any pointer welcome
    cheers D

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just wondering, have you acquired the bushings already or are you just thinking of doing this? If so where and how much? The only ones I could find were custom from UK at $70 each and you need four of them. I think there was another site a bit cheaper but still around $200 for all four and it was also in UK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    Just wondering, have you acquired the bushings already or are you just thinking of doing this? If so where and how much? The only ones I could find were custom from UK at $70 each and you need four of them. I think there was another site a bit cheaper but still around $200 for all four and it was also in UK.

Fox doesnt have bushings that will work? It would be a very simple part to make at a machine shop if not...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Fox doesnt have bushings that will work? It would be a very simple part to make at a machine shop if not...

I'm not sure if FOX offers the bushings for Scott. The online shops I found that have the bushings are in UK and were expensive but they did offer a custom choice. I doubt it would cost a lot less if I was to find a shop in town to make me custom bushings. I've always wanted a CNC machine though.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if FOX offers the bushings for Scott. The online shops I found that have the bushings are in UK and were expensive but they did offer a custom choice. I doubt it would cost a lot less if I was to find a shop in town to make me custom bushings. I've always wanted a CNC machine though.
    they are not Scott specific bushings. the only criteria here is the right width. find out what width you need and call Fox. we're talking about a very simple part here...

mtbr member
    I ran a Fox DHX 5 Air for a while and it worked very well on the downhill stuff. I missed the lockout option for climbing so now I am back to the Equalizer. I would definately get a DHX air over a RP23 due to the fact that the more progressive you can set up the shock the better for this frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW
    I ran a Fox DHX 5 Air for a while and it worked very well on the downhill stuff. I missed the lockout option for climbing so now I am back to the Equalizer. I would definately get a DHX air over a RP23 due to the fact that the more progressive you can set up the shock the better for this frame.
    Would you mind sharing where you got the bushings and the size?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    They are a standard size from Fox. I can't remember exactly but if you measure the distance between the mounts you will be fine.

mtbr member

No CNC machine needed - just a simple lathe like every high school metal shop has.

I know somebody that can get you some bushings for $50 shipped if you really have an aversion to calling Fox.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the help guys. The shock's back at the shop right now and Scott's supposed to be looking at it. I have another bike to ride at the moment, so I'm still hoping to get the equalizer back on the Ransom; I really do like that shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

shock measurements

I am looking towards the same route with changing my equalizer out for a DHX 5 coil. I wanted to make SURE that 7.5 2.0 (190, 50mm) is the correct shock length and stroke for our frames? Anyone have experience with the coil in the rear instead of air? Thanks a lot guys, looking forward to hearing some responses

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbines
    I am looking towards the same route with changing my equalizer out for a DHX 5 coil. I wanted to make SURE that 7.5 2.0 (190, 50mm) is the correct shock length and stroke for our frames? Anyone have experience with the coil in the rear instead of air? Thanks a lot guys, looking forward to hearing some responses
    Did you finally change your equalizer by a fox?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi

I would like to refresh this topic couse my equalizer breaking to often. So I thought if it possible to install any other shock. As far as I'm concerned the lenght of shock should be 190 mm (one guy told me that 200mm also fits), bushings can be moved from Equalizer. Thing, that I'm wondering is how much pressure is needed in typical 190x50 (7.5x2) or 200x57(7.875x2.25) shock to guarantee proper work under 85kg (187 lbs) rider? Does anyone had experiences in it?

Best regards and sorry for poor language
    Jacek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vacoo
    Hi

I would like to refresh this topic couse my equalizer breaking to often. So I thought if it possible to install any other shock. As far as I'm concerned the lenght of shock should be 190 mm (one guy told me that 200mm also fits), bushings can be moved from Equalizer. Thing, that I'm wondering is how much pressure is needed in typical 190x50 (7.5x2) or 200x57(7.875x2.25) shock to guarantee proper work under 85kg (187 lbs) rider? Does anyone had experiences in it?

Best regards and sorry for poor language
    Jacek
    Hey Jacek

You would need to make a 190mm DHX air more progressive to get it to work well with the Ransom. You can get it tuned by someone or you can change the air can to a small volume RP23 by yourself. It is not too hard. There are a couple more things you could do but would need to be done by a suspension tuner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbines
    A coil shock won't clear the linkage. Air shock only and I have had good results with a DHX air.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wrote to guy, who built ransom with dhx5 and that's what he answer:
    I built Scott Ransom aluminium with a Fox DHX air 5.0. First impressions while trail riding were quite good. It was compliant, reliable, and not connected to my handlebar. However, on agressive compression the bike would bottom out. I cranked the bottom out resistance and eventually pumped the shock up to nearly 250psi (max:300psi rider weight:147lb). It would still bottom out hard. To understand the reason for this we have to look at the concept of the ransom. This bike has a reverse leverage ratio meaning the lever pushes with less force at the beginning of the shock stroke and the most force at the end of it. That features gives the ransom its firm pedaling platform and smooth midstroke. Virtually all other bicycles do the exact opposite to achieve a "ramp up" at the end of the stroke and prevent the bike from bottoming harshly. The continuous smashing took it's toll and over the summer I blew up the main pivot, bent three shock bolts, and smashed the bearings in the shock link. 3 weeks into September the bottom brackett almost tore off below the shock mount.
    Pros: can ride for more than 6 weeks without 2 week rear shock overhaul
    Cons: Piddly Ransom will smash to pieces
    bottom line: if your freeriding and under 6' get yourself the new Scott Voltage Fr. That's what I got and it shreds. If your looking for more of trailriding machine, just get a Trek Remedy.

Sum: If you arn not lucky guy - don't buy this ****. You will lose your money and pleasure of riding.

mtbr member
    The DHX air needs a smaller air can and a bottom out bumper from a DHX coil on the main shaft. It is very easy to do and will get rid of the bottoming. When set up correctly it works great. A stock DHX air with a big air can will not work well. You don't even have to rebleed the shock to do the things mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So if it's that easy can you describe this operation precisly or post the link to some step-by-step tutorial?

Thanks for answering

mtbr member
    Here is a tech video for changing the air sleeve. The DHX Air usually has a two chamber air sleeve and on the Ransom I find that the smallest volume air can from an RP23 works best. When you have the air can off of the shock you can cut a bottomout bumper off of another coil shock and superglue it back together on the main shaft to help ramp up the end stroke. The Ransom works very well with these two mods. The frame is too light to handle repeated bottom outs just like most frames.

Let me know if it is not clear enough.

This would be the easiest if that looks too complicated or if you are in Europe, Suspension Center out of Switzerland can do DHX air shocks for Ransoms. http://www.foxracingshox.com/protune/?utm_source=bignewsbike&utm_medium=banners&utm_cam paign=protunelinks

Here is a shot of me road gapping my Ransom with a tuned DHX air

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for your support. I'm afraid that I can not afford to buy Float and dhx air just to make one shock of them. It is cheaper for me to repair the equalizer, then sell frameset and look for sth more conventional.

mtbr member
    You can buy just the aircan from a RP23. It is very accessible. Or you can shim the second air chamber to reduce the air volume with a piece of P-tex if cost is an issue. That is a ten minute process with little to no cost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vacoo
    Thanks for your support. I'm afraid that I can not afford to buy Float and dhx air just to make one shock of them. It is cheaper for me to repair the equalizer, then sell frameset and look for sth more conventional.

It's an apparently cheap mod. $35 for the can and $6 for the seals. There has been a post about this mod already (not Ransom specific - just the can mod, no bumper mod) the poster included the part numbers too:

DHX air upgraded with the RP3 air sleeve

I have a DHX Air 5.0 with the can mod... ransom rides sweet.

Now I just need to learn to huck like Bucko!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So I should now start looking for an dhx air shock Thanks a lot guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was looking on ebay and found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/FOX-DHX-Air-5-0-2...n%3D3%26ps%3D6

As I see it doesn't need described mod. Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    You need the 190mm i2i shock and yes that is the aircan you need. The newer DHX airs like the one in the link work much better in stock form in a Ransom than the older ones.

mtbr member
    I have been offered a 2010 rp23 boost valve shock for a hell cheap price and was just wondering if that might work in the ransom with out any sort of mods.

mtbr member
    It might bottom out too hard and need a bit more progression.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just a question concerning the travel change when using a 50mm stroke shock (normal 190mm shock stroke) instead of the equalizers 40mm. Would that not change the travel accordingly to 50/40=+25% which would add 25% on top of the 165mm (1,25*165) making it an actual 206,2mm. Can the linkage really handle that and will not the rear tyre bottom out on the seat tube? What is your experience with this?

/Lars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LasseB
    Just a question concerning the travel change when using a 50mm stroke shock (normal 190mm shock stroke) instead of the equalizers 40mm. Would that not change the travel accordingly to 50/40=+25% which would add 25% on top of the 165mm (1,25*165) making it an actual 206,2mm. Can the linkage really handle that and will not the rear tyre bottom out on the seat tube? What is your experience with this?

/Lars
    My shock was tuned for the frame and had an extremely progressive end stroke. It was custom built and Scott does not recommend doing this. Mine also had extra bottom out bumpers on the shaft. I now ride the Voltage FR for that type of riding.

mtbr member
    My knowlegde is very limited so if someone can verify this or provide more accurate info please help us out...

From what I've read the Ransom suspension design doesn't have a constant ratio (rear axle relative to shock stroke) throughout the travel. I remember reading on a mtb magazine web review that towards the end of the stroke the ratio is very high... something like 10:1.

So the travel shouldn't be increased by 25% with a 50mm stroke shock. It should be much less than this. But the geometry of the bike is designed for 165mm of travel so will perform best with this amount of travel.

I have a DHX Air 5 with 50mm of stroke but I bought the bike second hand (with DHX shock) from a person who works for Fox so I don't know what's been done to it internally (if anything). The bike rides well and has no issues with rockers, etc hitting and I've noticed that the shock never bottoms out regardless of how much pressure is in the main chamber so maybe the stroke has actually been reduced with bottom out bumpers too. I'm yet to let all the air out of the shock and see how much travel the rear wheel actually takes (and to see how much stroke there really is in the shock). I can do that if anyone's interested?

I thought that the consensus was that there would be an approx increase in rear wheel travel of 10mm, making it 175mm of travel rather than +200mm.

By the way, I set the sag at 30% based on the original 40mm of stroke on the DHX rather than 50mm because the bike wallows terribly and the bottom bracket is too low when it's set at 30% of 50mm of stroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oh you have a point there, the main rocker link is probably at the end of it's path at 165mm already so the aditional travel will mostly be spent out of the direction of travel of the shock. Am I right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by <Steven>
    My knowlegde is very limited so if someone can verify this or provide more accurate info please help us out...

From what I've read the Ransom suspension design doesn't have a constant ratio (rear axle relative to shock stroke) throughout the travel. I remember reading on a mtb magazine web review that towards the end of the stroke the ratio is very high... something like 10:1.

So the travel shouldn't be increased by 25% with a 50mm stroke shock. It should be much less than this. But the geometry of the bike is designed for 165mm of travel so will perform best with this amount of travel.

I have a DHX Air 5 with 50mm of stroke but I bought the bike second hand (with DHX shock) from a person who works for Fox so I don't know what's been done to it internally (if anything). The bike rides well and has no issues with rockers, etc hitting and I've noticed that the shock never bottoms out regardless of how much pressure is in the main chamber so maybe the stroke has actually been reduced with bottom out bumpers too. I'm yet to let all the air out of the shock and see how much travel the rear wheel actually takes (and to see how much stroke there really is in the shock). I can do that if anyone's interested?

I thought that the consensus was that there would be an approx increase in rear wheel travel of 10mm, making it 175mm of travel rather than +200mm.

By the way, I set the sag at 30% based on the original 40mm of stroke on the DHX rather than 50mm because the bike wallows terribly and the bottom bracket is too low when it's set at 30% of 50mm of stroke.

Sounds like yours has the good tune. You wouldn't be feeling those things if it were stock. I ran the sag by feel of the suspension and didn't worry too much by the precise sag %.

mtbr member
    So...anywhere you could buy a DHX with this mod? I'm not up for doing it myself, but I'd gladly pay someone to do it for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olijay
    So...anywhere you could buy a DHX with this mod? I'm not up for doing it myself, but I'd gladly pay someone to do it for me
    I only know a place in Switzerland and I don't think they can ship out of the country.

mtbr member
    Well... doesn't matter, I just sent my Equalizer to be serviced, to Switzerland coincidentally!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olijay
    Well... doesn't matter, I just sent my Equalizer to be serviced, to Switzerland coincidentally!
    To Suspension Center or DT Swiss? If you sent it to Suspension Center then ask JT about the Ransom tuned DHX air.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Suspension Center. I figure it's cheaper to get the Equalizer rebuilt instead of getting a new shock, but thanks anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New question here. Dhx air 4.0

Hi everyone, I have the same problem, my Equalizer shock broke after three days of light freeriding (no drops). I found this Fox DHX AIR 4.0 shock, which seems to have a smaller volume one-chamber air can already installed from factory, what do you think?

traildevils.ch/marketentry.php?eid=39272

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just to make sure will these work for this mod? I love my Ransom but the Equalizer is giving me problems now.

Fox-Float-RP23-air-sleeve-185-190mm-air canister

2012-Fox-DHX-Air-5-0-Rear-Air-Shock-7-5-x-2-0-Kashima

Found them on ebay but for some reason Im not allowed to post links here, sorry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by delrogr View Post
    Just to make sure will these work for this mod? I love my Ransom but the Equalizer is giving me problems now.

Fox-Float-RP23-air-sleeve-185-190mm-air canister

2012-Fox-DHX-Air-5-0-Rear-Air-Shock-7-5-x-2-0-Kashima

Found them on ebay but for some reason Im not allowed to post links here, sorry.
    I know this is late replying to this but as long as that air can is for a 7.5" shock, then you're ok. But the problem with the DHX is you might end up bottoming out a lot more depending on your weight. The mid stroke damping, or lack of, will let you blow through the travel even if you max'd out the air pressure in the reservoir and have the bottom out dial all the way in.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I know this thread is old by now but is anyone here still have the ransom with the dhx air 5?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Re: scott ransom shock options ?

I still do although no real riding time. I'm currently waiting for Craig over at Avalanche to tune it for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just picked one up a few weeks ago and I love it so far but I do need to replace the equalizer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Consider getting an RP3 and have Push Industries tune it. I got off the phone with Craig yesterday and he told me for my weight (212lbs), I'll be pushing the DHX Air to the limit... to the point where it wasn't designed to work with a ridiculous leverage that the Ransom has. He worked his magic and should be getting it back next week. We'll see what happens. I might have to get my Equalizer rebuilt just in case my DHX Air takes a dump.
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    Consider getting an RP3 and have Push Industries tune it. I got off the phone with Craig yesterday and he told me for my weight (212lbs), I'll be pushing the DHX Air to the limit... to the point where it wasn't designed to work with a ridiculous leverage that the Ransom has. He worked his magic and should be getting it back next week. We'll see what happens. I might have to get my Equalizer rebuilt just in case my DHX Air takes a dump.
    I heard the RP3 doesn't work with the ransom? I only weigh 150lbs so maybe I could get away with it and save some money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Re: scott ransom shock options ?

And I thought I heard the RP3 was the better choice for the Ransom.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2003 Balfa BB7
    2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *break*
    2011 Intense M9
    2014 Intense C29
    2015 Intense 951evo

Members who have read this thread: 3