Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Scott Genius LT 30 -- Here!

I picked up my new bike this week, but my ride this morning was rained out. I'm hoping tomorrow I'll get a chance to ride. Until then, I can't offer any review, other than to say that I am as excited as a kid getting his first bike. This is the first mountain bike I have purchased in almost 20 years.

I ride a road bike regularly, but I live within a very short ride of the Santa Monica mountains, and I have been growing jealous of all the mountain bike riders I see riding up the hill near my house, so I decided to join them!

I'll admit that I picked the Genius LT almost entirely based on marketing hype. My local bike shop (literally a 10 minute ride away) sells almost exclusively Scott, and I like my local bike shop a lot. I read and watched everything I could about the Genius LT. I only had a chance to ride it in the parking lot, but I really liked they way it fit me, and felt to me. I test rode probably 10 other bikes over the course of a couple of months.

I can't wait to go out and ride this bike! Until then, I took a bunch of pics today that I thought I would share. It is entirely stock, except that I traded out he Fat Albert tires it comes with for slightly smaller Nobby Nics.

See you on the trails!

CaliforniaJed

Photobucket
    Last edited by CaliforniaJed; 02-27-2011 at 01:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Sorry, Pics Here!

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    Looks good. You're making me jealous!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Don't be! You're gonna have pics of your own to post soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Got to take it out for a ride today!

Wow, what a blast. I only had a couple of hours to ride, and it was literally the first time I have ridden anything but a road bike in 20 years.

I wish I could compare this to other bikes for you, but I can't. This was the first time I have had the pleasure to ride a full-suspension bike in the dirt. I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott Genius LT 30 -- Here!-scottgeniuslt30.jpg  

Scott Genius LT 30 -- Here!-20110227_0212.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Jed you are a lucky boy....
    I have just bought the LT 20 and I can't keep the smile off my face!
    I have just come of a Giant trance X0 -another beautiful bike
    What I am most impressed about is how well the LT climbs (that it is a great descender is a no brainer!!)
    I was going into it for the plush travel on the downs etc(had a reign before the trance) ,but I was worried that it might be 'too much bike' on the climbs.Well I can honestly say that any anxiety I had has been laid to rest.
    To anyone who is feeling that they may like the extra travel over the standard genius,but is worried about how the bike pedals all I can say is go for it!
    You won't win any marathon races but you will keep up with the crew on regular trail rides
    Hope to see more posts as they make there way out there -will be interested in other riders impressions
    I'm in Australia by the way ..
    Happy riding Jed

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Toady, sounds like you're the lucky one with a LT 20! Congrats on that. I can echo what you've said about climbing on this bike. I was worried it was maybe too heavy for me, but I really enjoyed the twinlock, and even for a sloooow guy like me, this bike moves pretty quick up and down.

How about some pics, Toady?

mtbr member
    It looks way too clean to have been out on the trails!! Did you wipe it down before taking the shots??

Those look like some sweet hills to ride on, more than I'm likely to find in DFW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour
    It looks way too clean to have been out on the trails!! Did you wipe it down before taking the shots??
    That's Scott's new "CleanLock"! It wipes itself down!

No, I didn't get too dirty. It was surprisingly dry up there even after two days of rain. I avoided the mud a couple of times, mostly because i was by myself and not familiar with the trail.
    Last edited by CaliforniaJed; 02-28-2011 at 10:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey,

Do you think you can get a weight on that bad boy? Just curious...

Thanks!

-Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mike, I'll try. Earliest I can do it will be next week, though. I think the Scott site lists it at 31.5, and I think that's without pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds good, thanks! I am just curious how accurate Scott was/is in that weight. I am considering an LT to become my do everything bike, from enduro stuff up to North Vancouver and the occasional park day.

I currently have a Spark 35, and a Voltage FR, but am finding less and less that I need two distinctly different bikes, as my riding style is changing to one more conservative and more generally strictly trail riding with the occasional endurance/marathon race.

I have some tubeless wheels and stuff that I would spec on to it, to lighten it up a bit.

I am curious if the 5 or 6 lbs extra beef it has over my Spark (which comes in around 27 lbs with pedals) is something that will be overly inhibiting for the marathon stuff. I am also considering having a Revelation to spec on to the bike for those events (and keeping the Lyrik for the everything else....).

How do you find it's small bump sensitivity? That's the main "issue" people seem to have with it, but alot of that seems to be theoretical based off their experiences with the equalizer 2 on the regular Genius and little to no experience with the Equalizer 3 on the LT. The 3 seems to be a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the 2, but I am curious if that improvement translates into better small bump stuff (which our trails in the Interior of BC have ALOT of) when compared to the Equalizer 2, which seemed to lack convincing small bump performance.

Thanks!

-Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike9699
    How do you find it's small bump sensitivity? That's the main "issue" people seem to have with it, but alot of that seems to be theoretical based off their experiences with the equalizer 2 on the regular Genius and little to no experience with the Equalizer 3 on the LT.
    Mike, I wish I could give you an answer, but I never rode a Genius with an Equalizer 2 for comparison (other than in a parking lot), I have only taken the LT out once, and I am still getting it dialed in. My ride last weekend was on really rutted trails, and I tried to take the downhills as aggressively as I could, noting I am in my 40s and just back to MTB riding after a 20 year hiatus. I was really impressed with the handling of the small stuff, and of course with the bigger stuff, but you have to take my conclusions with a grain of salt, given my re-noob status.

I have ridden a Spark 35, and this bike definitetly feels much bigger, but to me it handles as responsively, if that makes sense, particularly with the twinlock capability.

bike rider
    My rebound dials were way off. I had to turn them all the way in, remove the dials, and re-install them so "1" was on the line when they are all the way in. I've been running them out at 8 or 9. I'm also running 10psi less negative air pressure than recommended. I've been happy so far with the performance of the rear shock (small bump, control, big hit) but have more testing to do.

In the pics I see you have it in the "low" position. I really like the handling there and will keep it in "low" for most riding but you should try "high" for the heck of it. The climbing position is better and pedal clearance is better if you have techy climbs with rocks and steps.

These bikes deserve a double ring with guide setup considering the kind of riding they're capable of. I recommend 26T and 36T rings with an E13 DRS. However, the red guide plate Scott includes for triple ring use is a good design.

I see you have both spacers below the stem. I tried both, one, and none and preferred the feel with one. I'm 6'2", have a large frame, and a 40mm rise bar. Your bar looks flatter so maybe we're at the same height but play with the spacers to see what you like.

Here's my bike, built up from an LT10 frame. 29.4lbs with very heavy tires:
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That bike looks great!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got lots to learn. Mine was set up in the low position when I got it. I'll eventually try it in high, but at this point that's not a priority. I am not ready to do anything technical enough yet that I need more clearance! (But give me time!)

I definitely have some dialing in to do. I rode today and I was getting some bob on the climbs. I'm not sure if that's a function of pressure or rebound adjustment? I'll have to hit the books (and the trail) to figure that out. All in all, though, I had a great day on the bike. I really do have to be careful not to over-ride my skills on the downhills. I just have a ton of confidence on it.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaJed
    I was getting some bob on the climbs. I'm not sure if that's a function of pressure or rebound adjustment?
    Mostly that's just a function of rear suspension. Rebound should be set so the rear end comes back slow enough to not buck you but not so slow that it packs down on multiple hits and can't be hopped. Unless the spring rate and compression damping are really stiff you'll get some bob. It will be less in the shorter travel mode than long travel cuz switching that increases the spring rate. On smooth climbs use lock-out* and on bumpy climbs use short travel. Dropping the fork to short travel on climbs will take weight off the rear and make it bob less. The reason I run 10psi less pressure in the negative chamber than recommended is to reduce sag and bobbing a little.

*You may want to remove the cable from the fork so you can lock the rear while keeping the fork active.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Lelandjt or CaliforniaJed, are either of you able to measure your BB height of bike with the fork in the lowered (140mm??) position? On the website, its 14.1/14.4, I assume with the fork in the full travel mode, just curious how low it goes.

I am a stone's throw away from pulling the trigger on one, just trying to make sure it's the right choice (geometry wise).

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

-Mike

bike rider
    With the rear end in "low", 2.5" WTB Prowler MX tires, and the TALAS fork in 180: 13.5" BB
    With the fork in 140: 13.0" BB

With the rear end in "high" and the fork in 180: 14" BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Awesome, thanks so much!

fan of maple syrup
    Fwoar ... they're a nice lookin rig that's for sure. Would almost tempt me back to riding Scott again I must say. The Alloy looks considerably tougher than my old original Genius MC - wish they'd been as liberal with tube diameters and strengthening in general back then.

Hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I measure 12.5 inches with the rear end in low and the fork in 140, but I guess I lost a little when I switched from the Fat Alberts to the Nobby Nics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Am I admitting how old I am if I acknowledge that I had to look up "fwoar"?! Thanks. I have been having a blast on it!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Scott Genius LT 30

Hi,
    I've been looking at purchasing a Scott Genius LT 30 2011. Reading this forum it appears everyone is very happy with this bike and Scott bikes in general. I am open minded to any brand. I have never owned a dually before. I have also been looking at a Giant Reign O. The Reign is a good 3kg lighter than the Genius. Also Giant use the Maestro system which is great for peddlable power. How does the Scott rear suspension design compare?
    Cheers

bike rider
    Reign vs Genius LT
    I was cross shopping the Reign X because it has similar geometry and travel to the Genius LT. The standard Reign has less travel in the rear, accepts a shorter fork, and has a steeper headtube angle. It won't be quite as DH capable.

The carbon Genius LT frame is 2/3lb lighter than the Reign X so the aluminum is probably close to the same weight as the Reign. Components are the source of the weight difference and I think you're overstating it by at least a kg.

Suspension
    Giant's design does a good job of resisting pedal bob and lets you use any shock, even custom tuned ones. It will make you happy when riding trails worthy of 6" of travel and using a ProPedal type switch will make it reasonable on smoother trails. When combined with a 160mm fork it will not let you hang it out on DH like the Genius LT will with a 180mm fork.
    Scott's design has a good pivot placement and I don't notice bad pedaling or braking traits. The multiple travel modes work well to adjust the sag to the type of riding you're doing and lock-out is nice for smooth sections. This shock let's a 7" essentially DH bike do a great job as a trail bike. The downside is you can't custom tune it or swap for different shocks. The tuning will probably be good for most riders though fast riders will wish for more LSC.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    good looking bikes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast