mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Scott Bikes Sizing Chart

Hi,

I've been looking for a new bike to ride this season and I'm interested in the Scott genius 29er. However I have noticed that Scott frames have very long top tubes and reach compared to other brands.

As 192 cm (6 foot 3.5 inches) tall the size chart recommend me to buy an XL frame but it has a massive 65 cm top tube and 47 cm reach, which is way more compared to what other brands use to recommend at my size.

I can ofcourse ride an XL genius but with a 60-70 mm stem, or a Large frame with 90-100 stem.

How do you guys feel about the Scott sizing chart? Is it accurate for what you ride and your size? Would it be better for me to go with the XL frame as suggested? They both feel great if I change the stem length.

I will also put on a dropper post which I havent tested yet. Is that an argument to go for the larger sized frame?

http://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net/...original_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi Rularn,

I'm on the same boat for trying to figure out the size chart. For my height of 5'11" is states a Large but a Med, can still be used or so it seems. However I have a 31.5" inseam length and the stand-over height for a large is 31.5" and the Med. is 30.4" so I'm kind of confused that they recommend a large for my height. My nuts are not in agreement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Stand over first, reach second. Scott bikes do tend to be long relative to other brands. If you are on the fence, double check that stand over height. You can swap a stem, but not a top tube

mtbr member

I'm 5.9 and tested the M...

It was too big for me.

If you feel good with both sizes, shorter wheelbase always wins.

Riding on Spark 26 RC M, Scale 29 S, Genius LT S.

Quote Originally Posted by rularn View Post
    Hi,

I've been looking for a new bike to ride this season and I'm interested in the Scott genius 29er. However I have noticed that Scott frames have very long top tubes and reach compared to other brands.

As 192 cm (6 foot 3.5 inches) tall the size chart recommend me to buy an XL frame but it has a massive 65 cm top tube and 47 cm reach, which is way more compared to what other brands use to recommend at my size.

I can ofcourse ride an XL genius but with a 60-70 mm stem, or a Large frame with 90-100 stem.

How do you guys feel about the Scott sizing chart? Is it accurate for what you ride and your size? Would it be better for me to go with the XL frame as suggested? They both feel great if I change the stem length.

I will also put on a dropper post which I havent tested yet. Is that an argument to go for the larger sized frame?

http://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net/...original_1.jpg
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]http://bike-improve.com/[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nintense View Post
    It was too big for me.

If you feel good with both sizes, shorter wheelbase always wins.

Riding on Spark 26 RC M, Scale 29 S, Genius LT S.
    What made it feel big? I'm 5'9 w/ 32" inseam and I ended up on a M Scale....but I have a zero offset post on it. I tested a L once because they didn't have an M available and it was wayyyyyyyy tooo long. I'm kinda curious on what an S would feel like.

The plus side though is that with the offset post I felt totally comfortable on an 18mile ride.

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 5'10", 30" inseam. Just picked up Genius 930 yesterday. Had ordered a medium but a large was delivered. The Scott rep, also at 5'10" said he always rides a L in Scott bikes. I took the bike out when I got home and found it to be just right lengthwise and completely acceptable as far as standover goes. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    What made it feel big? I'm 5'9 w/ 32" inseam and I ended up on a M Scale....but I have a zero offset post on it. I tested a L once because they didn't have an M available and it was wayyyyyyyy tooo long. I'm kinda curious on what an S would feel like.

The plus side though is that with the offset post I felt totally comfortable on an 18mile ride.
    Cornering and overall bike handling was a lot better on the smaller bike.
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]http://bike-improve.com/[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nintense View Post
    Cornering and overall bike handling was a lot better on the smaller bike.
    I can imagine that, the Scale is a lot bigger than my Hardrock!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi all, was wondering what bike the op decided to get in the end I'm 6ft 2 1/2" and a inside leg of 33 1/2" and in the market for a Scott genius 920, again i fall into two differents sizes, the large and xl, the bikes on eBay so I can't try before I buy Many thanks
    Last edited by burnsie1; 03-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I recently bought a Scale 970. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, longish torso and LONG arms. I was concerned about standover clearance as the L 970 doesn't provide much, but the M didn't provide substantially more and felt cramped. I love the Large I bought.