mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. Scott Aspect Sport vs Scale Comp

Hello! I'm looking at potentially purchasing a Scott bike tomorrow and I wanted to poll the audience on a question.

I'm considering between an Aspect Sport ($819 MSRP) and a Scale Comp ($999 MSRP).
    Basically I'll end up out the door at $692 or $845 respectively.

So, the question is: Is there an overwhelming reason to put out the extra $150 for the Scale Comp? I'm a beginner mountain biker, and am doing it mostly for trail riding and exercise.

Looking at the specs, they have the same fork (XCR 100mm),
    similar running gear (Alivio Fr/ Deore R vs Alivio Fr/SLX R)
    both have hydraulic brakes: (Shimano BR-M446 vs Tektro Draco),
    Different rims: (Araya DS-700 Disc vs Alex XC-49 Disc)
    Different tires: (Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 29x2.2 vs Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 29x2.25)
    Same BB and Crank:
    ~2 lbs weight difference: 30.1 pounds vs 28.6 pounds

I'm guessing the weight difference is worth $150 to some, but from my standpoint, I don't know that the difference in brakes and weight is a big deal to me. Does anyone have a good reference on how much better the Scale is than the Aspect? Is the frame better? Can it take more abuse?

One of my main concerns is durability (I'm ~235lbs) and would rather have a stronger bike than lighter bike... since they have the same fork, I'm assuming all the weight difference is in the wheels.

I also like a green a bit better than than the black/grey/red combo, but that ranks below performance by a longshot.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, I ended up going with the Scale Comp 29er. I test rode both, and the Scale Comp in a medium felt a little bigger than the Aspect, and the larges were too big for me. I have a long torso and short legs, so it is annoying because bigger bikes feel better on my torso, but smaller bikes feel better for pedaling.

The brakes felt way better too. There is a very noticeable difference between the Shimano BR-M446 and the Tektro Draco. And the SLX rear derailleur felt WAY better than the Alivio. I'm ok with the Alivio front, since I've got the "cheap front derailleur technique" down already.

In the end though, it was $150 difference, and the Scale fit me a little better. I wanted to just be happy with the Aspect, but the brakes kind of put me off. They were very "on-off", with little progressiveness. It could have been how they were set up.

I also test drove the Scale Team (next step up). That one was nice the biggest difference was the fork. The Rockshox XC 32 felt quite a bit better than the XCR. The XCR was actually noisy on the Aspect (the spring would creak), and I suspect it needed to be re-lubed or something. The one on the Comp felt much better, and the progressive lockout function let me set it to a good stiffness for my weight and to match the terrain (I had already set preload all the way up).

In the end, I didn't think it was worth the $300 difference between the Comp and the Team, especially since the Team is white, with white seats, and white grips. If I'm spending that much more, I don't think I would want to go out right away and spend more money... or ride around with a dirt-colored white seat.

The bummer was they have to assemble the Scale Comp in a medium for me (I tried a Scale Team medium, Comp Large, and Aspect Medium), and it won't be available until Monday! So pictures will come then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Congrats dude. I see I'm a day late, but I would have the same advice for you. I just swapped over from a Voodoo Canzo to a Scale comp (frame, my components are different), and this bike is AMAZING. I began to hate my canzo- the ultra long chainstays and steep HA made for a bad handling bike...like really bad. Scott has the geometry dialed on the Scale. It's a great frame and you can think about upgrading in the future or just ride the pants off it. Mine is all XT with an early Reba. I'm clearing obstacles my Canzo would just wobble at, and I feel more comfortable in the turns and climbs.

I'm not sure of the whole parts list, but it looks like you get a better rear derailleur and the Rocket Rons, which are quite a bit better. I wouldn't worry about the brakes, low end is low end so as long as they work, that's all you need. If you find yourself doing 2.5mi downhills, get new ones. The only thing to really watch out for is that fork...I test rode my frame with the previous owners build and it sounded like a soda can filled with rocks....but take care of it and it'll probably treat you well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Woot! Bike was ready today. I picked her up and promptly took her to the trail. The Scale rides much better for me than the hardrock! Probably because it is actually the correct size for me, but I found myself not nearly as strained up hills.

More to come, I've attached the first pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Are you still happy with the Scale? I'm facing a dilemma, bought a 26" Scale 70 in XL, love riding but unavoidably now think it's slightly too large and I'd be happier on a Scale Team/Comp in L.

What do you think, effectively a beginner so no ingrained preference either way, would it be better to start out on a 29er? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you tried putting a shorter stem on there? The Scale 29's eTT is 24.4", the Scale 70 appears to be 25.2", with a 90mm stem on the 29 and a 110 on the 70. If you do the math (which I did) you can get a 70mm stem and have the same cockpit as the Scale 29.

If you haven't ridden the bike yet, and have the ability to return it, you may as well go ahead, but if you don't, I suggest you buy a $30 stem to try it out before you sell it for a loss and buy another bike.

As for 26 or 29, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. I think each has its benefits, but I think as a beginner I'd rather start on 26, as I do feel they're more playful and you have such a variety (20 years) of used parts that are great for somebody just starting out. By comparison, I'm the only person around me that uses 29" wheels, everybody else is on 26s. If I get a flat on trail, I'm SOL.

Hope that helps. I really enjoyed riding my Scale (only have one ride on this bike so far) but it was way better than I expected it to be.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My question continued in a new thread - can't post the link don't have enough posts!! Title: Scott Scale - 26 vs 29 and frame size in Beginner's.

I've already swapped the XL's stock 110mm stem for an 80mm. It's better but still feel really on top of the bike, it feels large.

Also, using the heel-on-pedal rule I don't seem to have nearly as much seat post showing as in just about any photo of a rider on whichever size bike I've looked at. I have around 5 1/2" of seat post exposed to the rails.

Standover is a little closer than feels comfortable with the XL. Not touching but definitely closer than I like hard metal objects to be!

I tried an Aspect in L, but that seemed smallish (I think?) - but the large Scale seems to be a better fit?

Model/Seatpost/eTT

Aspect L - 19.7" - 23.0" - felt too small
    Scale 26 L - 18.9" - 24.0"
    Scale 29 L - 18.9" - 24.4"
    Scale 26 XL - 20.9" - 25.2" - feels too big

Seems like I could or should have the seat higher, there should be plenty of tube to go before the mark on the L?

Any advice much appreciated. Perhaps I am over thinking it but I'd like to get the right bike now to last a few years.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jsamuelson; 05-21-2012 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Scale is larger than the Aspect for the same size. The Aspect medium felt too cramped for me, but the Scale Comp 29er medium felt perfect!

I personally like the 29er much better than my old 29er hardtail. It is more fun for me, and easier to roll over roots (which are plentiful on my trails).

I had a similar problem where I was on a 21" Hardrock 29er, and it was borderline too big. I tried a Scale large, and it was still too big for me (seat all the way down), so I went with the medium and am extremely happy with my choice! If in doubt, do a size smaller. You can always put on a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Compared to the Scott 29er Comp, did you ever ride the Cannondale Trail SL 4 29er or Specialized Rockhopper 29er? I am choosing between these 3 in a small frame. The only thing that bugs me about Scott is they only warranty their frames for 5 years. Everyone else is lifetime. Thanks for any and all advice.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    According to the shop, you will struggle to find any Scale 29ers for sale - there is no stock and no information on when there might be availability…at least in Europe.

So that might make your decision for you!

I am always quite sceptical about so-called lifetime guarantees, and at this price range five years is OK.

I will parrot the advice given by most people who know what they are talking about here - ride them all!

mtbr member
    The good news is......I found a small Scott at an LBS 38 miles from me. I am going to ride it this weekend. Also, another shop is getting a small in the 2013 Specialized Rockhopper 29. I already have a Cannondale Trail SL 4 29er on hold at a third LBS. As everyone, you want to make a good choice, especially with all the research I am doing in this process. Thanks agian for all the input everyone.

mtbr member
    I rode the Scale Comp 29 in a Small and loved it. I also rode the 2013 Rockhopper and did not like it at all. The LBS tried me out on a FS 26, the Spark 70. This is the bike I am going to probably buy. I liked the 29 wheels for comfort, but the FS is just as comfortable, but seems to be more agile. It was a tough choice, but I did my homework so I am happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Do the all Aspect series use the same frame? Mine is 40.
    Last edited by cassava; 07-16-2012 at 01:32 AM.

mtbr member
    From another noob perspective, the Aspect frames seem to be all 6061 aluminum with similar geometry. Again, I am a noob as well, so I could be wrong, but Scott's website doesn't indicate any frame differences that I could find for the Aspects.