mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Upset Scott Aspect Problems! HELP!

I'm a new biker and my girlfriend and I both purchased brand new Scott mountain bikes. She has the Aspect 50 and I have the Aspect 60. We love the light weight frames but we've had the bikes for less than 2 months and have had tubes blow between us 7 times, out of 10 trips on our bikes together.

My rear tube has gone flat 3 times, 2 in one day! We don't ride them rough - yet! I keep having to take them into the dealer who is now putting some cloth rip strips to try and prevent this from happening.

Has anyone else had a Scott Aspect with this problem? The tires are the standard Ozon 2.0
    Any suggestions out there to try? The dealer inspected the rim and tire today and told me it didn't seem to have any problem. Is it common to have so many blown tubes?!? It's frustrating! I need help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What tyres are you using? And what pressure are you inflating to? Have you inspected the blown tubes to see what kind of puncture you are getting? Do you hear a sudden "pffffff", or do they slowly go down?

I expect it's more to do with the method you've been using to replace the tube than the bike. Try pumping up just until it's barely inflated, then slowly work your way around the wheel squeezing the tyre completely until your fingers touch. Do this a couple of time the whole way around the wheel and it may help un-twist the tube. Make sure when you finally inflate it, you inflate it to a high enough pressure. Max pressure should be written on the tyre.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanstan
    I'm a new biker and my girlfriend and I both purchased brand new Scott mountain bikes. She has the Aspect 50 and I have the Aspect 60. We love the light weight frames but we've had the bikes for less than 2 months and have had tubes blow between us 7 times, out of 10 trips on our bikes together.

My rear tube has gone flat 3 times, 2 in one day! We don't ride them rough - yet! I keep having to take them into the dealer who is now putting some cloth rip strips to try and prevent this from happening.

Has anyone else had a Scott Aspect with this problem? The tires are the standard Ozon 2.0
    Any suggestions out there to try? The dealer inspected the rim and tire today and told me it didn't seem to have any problem. Is it common to have so many blown tubes?!? It's frustrating! I need help!
    I've had the Aspect 60 for a couple of months now. When I first got it, I felt like I was getting flats all the time in one of my tubes. When checking the tubes, the punctures were not on the tire side, but the rim side. The first thing I did was replace the cheap-ish rim strip with some good rim tape (it covers the spokes and any sharp edges of the rim from the tubes). This seemed to work.

I've also used Slime tubes just in case I get a cacti puncture. I ride some relatively rocky stuff in Phoenix Mountain Preserves and ride on the Black Canyon Trail. I've only flatted one since changing out the rim tape (cactus).

Change the rim tape first and see if this helps. The tips from the previous post are also good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

My problem continues...

Thanks for all your help... I'm still having problems...
    To give you more details... I have changed some of my flats when I'm stuck out somewhere... the dealer I bought from changes them when it's possible, so there won't be any excuse to blame me for improper tube installation, even though it isn't very difficult if you go step by step.

They installed cloth rip strips on both bikes and we took them out this weekend. Saturday I rode around for a couple hours, no problem. I got home and checked tired again before going to bed. In the morning it was flat. I took out the tube and it was approx. 1/4" tear in the tube, facing the center of the rim. I measured the tear from the stem and it is exactly at a point where the spoke connects through the rim. AND I could already see another worn spot on the tube in the exact area of the next adjacent spoke/screw.

So, I changed the flat, marked the spot where it tore and rode Sunday for 2 hours, came home and everything was OK. I was sitting up doing some work late at night and heard it suddenly releasing massive air, bursting in the hallway. I took out the tube and it is at the exact same spot as the first and again, same size tear.

This makes the 3rd front tire tube on my bike that's blown in the 2 months I've had it. I've had 3 blow in the rear. 6 just on my bike in approx. 12 trips out. I always inflate to the standard pressure before going out. I had a cheap $70 bike from Academy that I never checked inflation every trip out and rode through woods, gravel, etc. with never a problem. My girlfriend had a road bike that she would even go off road sometimes without a single flat in over 10 years!

If you look at any company who tests their product and it fails 50% of the time - it would be considered a defective product. I took the rim and tubes to another dealer and he was stumped, saying usually one rim strip should fix the problem but I could try two strips or look into warranty issues for defective rims. Every tear I've had is either on the edge of the rim side or center on rim side, never on the tire side. It is never a two hole puncture but a small gash.

I've been looking into the tubes and even though they are not the best rated ones out there - both dealers in my area carry them as their main stock tube - the same ones that GIANT sells - Kenda. GIANT dealer here seems to think it isn't a tube problem but something with the rim. I'm hoping they will not give me too much hassle in replacing the rims, if that's the problem here. I've had bikes since I was a kid and never had a tire problem of this nature. I just started riding mountain bikes less than a year ago and my main reason for contacting experienced riders on this forum was to see if this was common in mountain bikes or anyone owning a scott aspect 2010???

Out of the six tubes I've had blow - I changed two of them on the road. All I wanted was a bike I could rely on. It is really depressing having to do this over and over again. I did fork over cash for the first few blown tubes we've had. The dealer is trying to help me get to the root of the problem and installed free rim strips and free tubes. I'll post whatever results I end up with. I hope it isn't an ad for anyone interested in a new bike! HAHA!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So where exactly is the hole in the tube, and what shape is it?

From what I understand, it's on the RIM-side of the tube, not the tyre-side? Is it right in the middle? Perhaps one of the spokes is too long? Or the spokes on the other side aren't tight? These all seem like unlikely reasons though. If it keeps happening at the same spoke-hole, perhaps you could put a thin piece of foam between the rim and the tyre for a few weeks and then get it out after a few rides and look for any kind of abrasion?

Sorry mate, can't help too much! It all seems very odd to me.

Proud lame eBiker
    You keep saying they put new rim strips in but haven't told us what kind.

Ask your dealer to install VELOX RIM TAPE. Nothing is better. Even if a spoke it the cause, the velox is sturdy enough to solve that issue.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Update2

Well, after riding the bike Sunday and getting the 2nd flat that night - I took the front rim, tire and 2 tubes to the dealer and he's been looking into the problem. This morning I was in bed and suddenly heard the fsssttt! sound of air blowing! Oh, no! I got up and sure enough my back tire was now flat. It had sat, upside down, for three days and suddenly blows. I took off the tire and inspected the tube. It has a small puncture tear on the center rim side near the stem where a spoke nipple sits. And there's even a good indention on the next spoke nipple area on the tube where it looks like it was wearing down!

I have velox cloth rim strips and they don't seem to be helping! I'm going to take the back wheel in today and talk to the dealer about double-walled rims and double rim strips on each rim, maybe cloth and rubber combined. My rims currently are single-wall.

Seeing that my girlfriend had some problems with her wheels, I'm wondering if this edition of Scott Aspect has rims that are slightly defective, meaning the ones who manufacture the rims, the actual detailed specific mechanical design of these rims are slightly wider than others, allowing more pressure on the tubes pushing against the rims, whereas other rims may be more narrow?!? At this point I'm not really sure. It could simply be my specific rims having some mechanical defect. She's blown 3 tubes and I've blown 7... since she got cloth rim strips, her problems seem, so far, to have ended.

I don't notice any loose spokes on either of my wheels and the nipples on the areas where the tears and puncture have occurred doesn't look or feel much different than any other spot on the rim. All the spoke nipples, of course, protrude slightly up from the rim...

Anyway, I consider the entire ordeal a bit humorous when I owned a $70 Academy Ozone that never had a flat and here I am with my first bike on the higher end and all I seem to be doing is taking it into the shop! Haha! Oh well, I hope I can figure this out or the dealer will cut me a deal on some double-wall rims!

- madmanstan