mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Scale head angle, how ya liking it now?

For those with some time on your Scale 29er how do you like the slacker head angle for XC riding and racing? Any setup changes from your previous steeper geometry bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Love mine. After years of racing twitchy head angle roadie influenced XC hardtails I can say I'm done with them. I suppose some people might have problems if you are used to keeping the bike upright and steering, rather than contemporary dh/enduro cornering style of leaning the bike more than your body - or cornering with a more upright body position versus in an attack position. I never had a problem adjusting, from the first ride it was better all around. Best of both worlds, XC weight with all mountain handling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with everything above, I've had my Scale 29er for about a year now and still love the handling. I'll just add that the short stays/slack HA make technical climbing where you are getting the front wheel up and over stuff really fun. The only area of potential adjustment for you would be on flat, loose corners where you kind of have to purposely weight the front wheel to get the bite you need. All in all, though, I find it to be a really versatile bike that will let you do the head down and hammer thing when you want to but by the same token is an absolute blast to ride on a real trail where you are in the mood to dance with the bike and throw it around.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC