Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Scale cable routing

Thinking of getting a scale 740 frame (was originally going to go direct buy carbon but having doubts) can someone confirm the cable routing for me?

I think rear derailler internal till bb then external along chainstay, rear brake external whole way (downtube and chainstay)?

For reasons of rock strikes to the hydraulic cable and mud to the rear mech, I'm not wild on this routing. Anyone had issues?

I wont be using front mech, can i use fr. mech internal routing for rear brake?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlife View Post
    Thinking of getting a scale 740 frame (was originally going to go direct buy carbon but having doubts) can someone confirm the cable routing for me?

I think rear derailler internal till bb then external along chainstay, rear brake external whole way (downtube and chainstay)?

For reasons of rock strikes to the hydraulic cable and mud to the rear mech, I'm not wild on this routing. Anyone had issues?

I wont be using front mech, can i use fr. mech internal routing for rear brake?
    http://assets.scott-sports.com.s3.am...N_complete.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ah brilliant, thank you - should have been alert enough to look in the manual myself

Clearly can't fit the brake hose through the FD housing then. Really not sold on that routing. Where I live in Wales, UK, we get a LOT of mud which would knacker that RD cable fairly swiftly. If the trails aren't muddy they are probably rocky and I can just imagine a stray rock puncturing the hydraulic hose miles from home. shame as the frame gets such good reviews ride wise

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Really? You mean your going to land your frame on a rock? Because its not a motorcycle, rocks are not going to have much force from flying off your wheels, could take a chance and live dangerously? The Scotts are good, too good to pass on because of a .01% chance of something possibly happening like that

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nah but if you saw the rock chips in my current downtube! However, I've pretty much come to the conlusion its the right frameset for me anyway. Just got to a) pop to te local dealer to decide on small or medium b) sell my old frame and c) deterine if there is any differnece between the 2015 and 2016 frames beyond the inexplicable change in colour from understated to disgusting!