Thread: Scale 940

mtbr member

Scale 940

The wife let me bring home a Scale 940 tonight. I'm pretty pumped about it. I wish I could've hit the trail with it tonight, but it'll probably be Wednesday before I can get it out. Who else has one? What have you changed so far? My last bike, and I still own it, is a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper HT. I added a set of BB7 brakes, and recently changed out the 580mm handle bar for a 700mm. I haven't had a lot of time on the Scale yet, but it already feels like home. Scale 940-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375155607.983087.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a small 940. Love it!

Upgrades:
    Industry Nine Hubs (Grey Hub / Blue Spokes) with Arch EX Rims
    Fizik saddle
    Ergon Grips
    XT Pedals
    Maxxis Ikon tires

Have a Ritchey Pro 30 degree stem ordered to lower my handlebar position.

Thinking about carbon handlebar and seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I hope TS dont mind me cutting in here, but I would love to here your opinion too.

I'm considering buying a 940 as my first "real" bike. Mostly looking at doing trail riding around lakes with some roots and stones mixed with lighter stuff. Think the 940 will fit me good?

Also, since it's a HT and I plan on running some more technical trails I'm thinking some bigger tire volume would be good. I see 2.1 inch tires are fitted stock, but how big will I be able to fit, considering the clearance? Is 2.1 max?

Also, how do you think the fork is behaving? Heard alot of complains about some Fox CTDs.

I see now my questions added up. Sorry TS. Your bike is looks amazing and I'm just a little eager

mtbr member

Scale 940

Quote Originally Posted by ubergn0men View Post
    I hope TS dont mind me cutting in here, but I would love to here your opinion too.

I'm considering buying a 940 as my first "real" bike. Mostly looking at doing trail riding around lakes with some roots and stones mixed with lighter stuff. Think the 940 will fit me good?

Also, since it's a HT and I plan on running some more technical trails I'm thinking some bigger tire volume would be good. I see 2.1 inch tires are fitted stock, but how big will I be able to fit, considering the clearance? Is 2.1 max?

Also, how do you think the fork is behaving? Heard alot of complains about some Fox CTDs.

I see now my questions added up. Sorry TS. Your bike is looks amazing and I'm just a little eager
    I got the first ride in this evening. I love it! Our local trails are fairly technical as far as tight corners, descents, and climbing are concerned. These trails are a mix of hardpack, loose soil, loose rock, roots, and also some rock wash board areas sprinkled in for good measure. I have no complaints with the Schwalbe Rocket Rons as of yet. They were compliant and provided good traction in all of these conditions, perhaps better if I reduce the air pressure a touch. The drivetrain is great, with the standard new-bike minor adjustments for trim, etc. I actually like the seat, but I was only on it for half an hour to 45 minutes. The fork soaked up the trail fantastically. I did tinker with the CTD system but need some more time to test the descend and trail settings, as I had them backwards in my mind. The climb function worked great on every climb I hammered. The bike feels as nimble as my 26" Stumpy w/ a Fox F90RL with the added stability of a 29er. The Shimano 596 brakes have much better feel and modulation than my BB7s on my previous steed. All things I considered, I'm extremely happy with this bike so far.

mtbr member

Scale 940

Quote Originally Posted by mitchg View Post
    I have a small 940. Love it!

Upgrades:
    Industry Nine Hubs (Grey Hub / Blue Spokes) with Arch EX Rims
    Fizik saddle
    Ergon Grips
    XT Pedals
    Maxxis Ikon tires

Have a Ritchey Pro 30 degree stem ordered to lower my handlebar position.

Thinking about carbon handlebar and seatpost.
    I think I'm fine with the handlebar position so far. I've added my Shimano 520 pedals, but that is it so far. Anything nicer about the XTs other than weight? I've ridden on a set of Arch EX with Hope Pro hubs recently. I wouldn't mind having a set. I think tubeless is my next step. If I get in to weight weenie status, I may look in to some carbon bits and lighter wheelset. I amazed the Rocket Rons weigh less than some of the 26" tires I've used in the past. I imagine that will come at the expense of longevity.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebomberx View Post
    The wife let me bring home a Scale 940 tonight. I'm pretty pumped about it. I wish I could've hit the trail with it tonight, but it'll probably be Wednesday before I can get it out. Who else has one? What have you changed so far? My last bike, and I still own it, is a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper HT. I added a set of BB7 brakes, and recently changed out the 580mm handle bar for a 700mm. I haven't had a lot of time on the Scale yet, but it already feels like home. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375155607.983087.jpg 
Views:	5389 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	820434
    I have a 13' hard rock sport disk 29er.
    But this 940 is my soon to be next bike ! Looks awesome !

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The wife let me bring home a Scale 940 tonight. I'm pretty pumped about it. I wish I could've hit the trail with it tonight, but it'll probably be Wednesday before I can get it out. Who else has one? What have you changed so far? My last bike, and I still own it, is a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper HT. I added a set of BB7 brakes, and recently changed out the 580mm handle bar for a 700mm. I haven't had a lot of time on the Scale yet, but it already feels like home. Click image for larger version. 

Thats a sweet looking bike, I like the blue accents. Enjoy!
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ubergn0men View Post

you can fit 2.25 schwalbe's. i ran them but am now running 2.2 Maxxis IKON on my scale 29RC

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Have you hit the trails ? how does it ride ?

mtbr member
    The Scale 29ers have a really nice ride. I've put about 40 miles or so on it since I've had it. The bike accelerates well and the Fox Float CTD has been flawless so far. It is as nimble as my 26" Stumpjumper HT and the XT/SLX drivetrain is a noticeable upgrade from the 2006 XT/LX mix on the Stumpjumper. The brakes are fantastic, but I have some learning curve with them. I removed the front wheel last week to compare weight with a 26" wheel. When I reinstalled it, the brakes were dragging. I readjusted the caliper and eliminated the rubbing. Fast forward to this evening. I pinch flatted my rear tonight so I needed to do a trailside tube replacement - same issue. My back brake was dragging bad enough that my lever barely had any travel. I put it in the stand once I got home and readjusted the caliper again. Problem solved. Is that a common issue with hydraulic brakes, or did I do something wrong?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hydraulics are sensitive, my bike shop told me that.
    If you remove a wheel you have to be careful with the levers. Thats what might have happened ive removed mine several times and never had that problem.
    Also the wheels if not well inserted will also drag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've had my Scale 940 about a month now and love it! It's my first bike in quite some time but it is Awesome. I wanna buy a quick release fork mount for the back of my truck for transport instead of just throwing it in there. I can't find what size Skewers I have so that i can get the right mount. could someone please let me know what size skewers the 2013 Scale 940 have. Thanks!

mtbr member

Scale 940

Should be 9mm QR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

How's that Scale treating you? Have you done any upgrades yet? Just checking back to see if your still as happy with yours as I am mine? I've upgraded my pedals,bars,grips,rims,hubs,stem and gone tubeless! Been riding at least 3 times a week and I have more fun every time!
    VP flat pedals
    Renthal stem
    Renthal Carbon Fatbars
    Flow EX wheels
    Chris King blue hubs
    Easton grips
    Tubeless
    6 bolt Shimano rotors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scale 940-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Y did u change parts? Is there something wrong? Thinkn to get one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpcloud View Post
    Y did u change parts? Is there something wrong? Thinkn to get one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Nothing wrong! It's an AWESOME bike I just wanted to customize mine how I wanted it! I don't like mine looking like everyone else's. The rims are kinda weak but I was about 240 when I started riding it. I researched a lot of bikes unless your planning on spending BIG $ your gonna get cheap wheels. I would recommend a Scale to anyone! My cousin just bought a Scale 740 and love it also!

mtbr member

Scale 940

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy jr. View Post
    How's that Scale treating you? Have you done any upgrades yet? Just checking back to see if your still as happy with yours as I am mine? I've upgraded my pedals,bars,grips,rims,hubs,stem and gone tubeless! Been riding at least 3 times a week and I have more fun every time!
    VP flat pedals
    Renthal stem
    Renthal Carbon Fatbars
    Flow EX wheels
    Chris King blue hubs
    Easton grips
    Tubeless
    6 bolt Shimano rotors
    I haven't made too many upgrades. I've been through a set of pads and added blue Oury lockon grips. I went through several tire combinations. Started with the Rocket Rons, then went to Bontrager 29-3 / 29-2 combo. Then Bontrager 29-4 / Racing Ralph combo. I'm currently running a set of Continental X-King Protection. Just built a new wheelset for it last night - Stan's Crest with XT 785 hubs and DT Comp spokes / gold nipples. Rode really well and shaved some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk