lives to ride
    Feb 2005

Scale 35 vs Scale 30

I want a new bike for XC. I intend on racing it, doing the occasional leisure XC ride, and riding to work on it.

I really like the Scott Scale's, and have the budget to either get a Scale 35 or a Scale 30. Obviously a pretty big difference over the frame, however I don't know what I should do. The alloy frame is obviously something that should last for a fair while, while the carbon I have heard can fail with impact.

Since I'd prefer the bike to last 5 years or so, am I better off getting the Scale 35? It does have better components..

Also, on sizing, I am 179cm with an inseam of approx 87cm. On paper it looks like I could fit on the XL, but I'm probably more suited to the L - would you agree with this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just got a Scott Scale 20. I dont know if carbon is the right choice for you but I am sure that XL is realy big for you. I am 182 cm and I get a Large. It is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

30 vs 35

I was faced with the same choice when I bought my 30. They are within $200 here in Aus, so price is no issue. I knew I would end up upgrading my components anyway as I was planning to race the bike, and the carbon frame does ride a fair bit nicer than the alu. You should probably be able to pick one up from your lbs for a good price in a month or 2 due to the new model coming out as well. For what it's worth, I have spent some cash upgrading my medium Scale 30, and it's down to about 9.7 kg, with the original wheels, pedals and seat post
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nice bike. I am going to put Ritchey on mine too. I see XT parts...

What else have you done to it...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    how much was the scale 30 frame in AUS?

and how much is your overall setup cost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks
    My setup cost me $3200 originally. But I was getting started, so I needed co2 tanks, saddle bag, shoes, jersey, helmet and nicks also. Since then I have spent about $1500 more on it. It has:
    Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow
    Shimano XT cranks, shifters, brakes and cassette
    ODI Ruffian lock ons
    KMC X9 SL gold chain
    Schwalbe XX light tubes
    Ritchey WCS Carbon Riser bar and stem

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

just being an Ass

Just for the record, I spent $1350 for a Scott Scale 40 alloy frame (great price at my LBS) and the only things I changed were putting on an Easton EA70 MonkeyBars riser bar and a DT Swiss 4.2D wheelset ($550). Grand total $1900. It weighs in at 11.43kg.

So looks like it costs around $2500 to loose 2kg!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If that's in Oz then you got an awesome deal! I think from memory when I was looking, current year Scale 40's were somewhere near $2500, definately not under 2 grand though. You have a good lbs!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bought in U.S. at Bike line of Naperville, IL They had 2 Scale 40's tagged at $1600. Told them to make me a good deal and I'd walk out with one. Gave me a price and I couldn't refuse

They had also had an 07 Scale 30 for $1900 too! I weighed them both on their scale stand and they were within less than 1 lbs difference. So I went for the 40 with better components, instead of the carbon frame with lower grade components. (I think this is where people get out of hand with costs. It's always much cheaper to get the components with the bike rather than individually.) Treated me pretty well, I'd recommend them if your looking fo r a Scott here in northern Illinois.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice one mate, but you can't really compare prices in the US to those in Aus. We are a much smaller market, so our prices will always be higher. As far as buying in Aus, I think I got a pretty good deal, and I have had unbelievable service from my store since I bought the bike in Feb. I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Primative Screwhead

Deals...

Quote Originally Posted by rookiemistake
    Nice one mate, but you can't really compare prices in the US to those in Aus. We are a much smaller market, so our prices will always be higher. As far as buying in Aus, I think I got a pretty good deal, and I have had unbelievable service from my store since I bought the bike in Feb. I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Hey Bro, I got my 2008 Scale 30 for $2700 last October down here in Tassie

$3200 is the RRP.

BTW, nice build. I bought a set of 2008 XTR wheels for mine and they make the thing freakishly fast! particularly with the RR tyres which I am a fan of. The only other upgrade I've put on is an SLR XP in white

F.

PS: I'm 184cm and I got an XL. I prefer a larger frame as I find them easier to drift at speed.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice one mate. I do like the white saddle, but I when I was looking they only had the one I wanted in black. I would have paid about what you paid if I didn't have to get all my gear as well. I do find the handling pretty quick with the smaller frame, but I am getting used to it now. I am thinking about doing wheels as well, but not sure which ones to get (DT Swiss) maybe. I have a WCS Carbon seatpost in the mail

Fired Up, Here We Go
    Ah, Pinnacle Cycles...Paul is a great guy.

Did you previously compete in the Summer dirt crits at Bushy Park?
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiemistake
    Nice one mate. I do like the white saddle, but I when I was looking they only had the one I wanted in black. I would have paid about what you paid if I didn't have to get all my gear as well. I do find the handling pretty quick with the smaller frame, but I am getting used to it now. I am thinking about doing wheels as well, but not sure which ones to get (DT Swiss) maybe. I have a WCS Carbon seatpost in the mail

WCS - nice post - look into getting some anti-slip compound before you insert it as this can be an issue on the top-end scales with that spec. Scott make a batch of the stuff, but chalk would probably do just as well (?).

A light wheelset is the number one investment you can make! I rate the XTRs, but then of course I'm biased. Having said that, along with backwoods commuting and aggressive trail riding, I've raced a 100km marathon, a couple of XC races and a six hour on them and they have remained completely true. I weigh 80kg. The 'native tubeless' rims are a hell of a lot less hassle than stans too, if you're interested in going that direction.

Good luck!
    F.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have only started riding this year. Paul has gotten me to come down to a couple of the crit races, but I usually can't make them due to work.

As far as the seat post goes, I have some of the Ritchey liquid torque. is this appropriate? I am thinking about some DT Swiss wheels, but really not sure yet.
    Cheers

Fired Up, Here We Go
    Yeah, the Ritchey liquid torque is perfect for that. My Spark came with the exact stuff to tighen the clamp onto the integrated seatpost.
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Scales rock!

I was posed with the exact question Scale 35 v Scale 30 (after I found out the 35 existed!)
    Ended up with the 35 after some careful consideration
    Stock had run out at the wholesaler but I found a 30 medium & a 35 medium in 2 different shops.
    Didn't test ride either so it was the confidence in the ally frame, which looks cool with the hydro forming - some people mistake it for carbon because there are no welds around the head set & the Shimano XT components that made up my mind.
    The other reason was the price - 20% off sale at Cyclelogical = $2,400 ride away.
    How good is that!
    I think it would be cool to ride your favourite trail on both carbon & ally to help make up your mind - but how do you do that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    one or another,there are great bikes