mtbr member

SCALE 29 frame, RC or pro? HMF vs HMX?

I'm buying a new race frame for next year and am set on a Scale 29er RC or PRO. The frame cost difference is $300, the weight diff is 200g (.44lbs). But what else? Is the manufacturing of the RC to a higher standard, higher tolerances, are they more durable, better made? Does the HMX carbon on the RC have any better riding characteristics then the HMF carbon on the PRO? Basically do you guys think it is worth buying the RC over the PRO frame? What If I could get a new last year pro frame with a build on it for only $200 more then a RC frame, still worth it to buy the RC? Not that I would use the parts from the last years pro, but I could sell them for a good amount...

mtbr member
    When I was talking to the Scott Rep, he stated that the HMX is denser and therefor more resistant to impact. He did not know by how much but did not think it was a major difference. That's the only info I have...sorry.

If you can get a full '11 pro for the price of a frame and it's in great condition, I would choose that option. You can keep the wheels are beaters and sell the rest... though used x9 & x7 parts won't fetch a huge amount.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    HMF carbon is slightly heavier and not as modulus. Therefor giving it a softer ride and slightly more flex. The HMX carbon is the opposite of those properties.

Wicketed
    I've just ordered the HMX RC frame over the HMF. Partly because I got hung up on the weight difference, but I offset this to some extent by telling myself that the RC comes with a Ritchey carbon post which I could sell, whilst the standard frame came with a more mundane post.
    Also, depends if you want to know you're riding the absolute best frame as well, or happy to settle for a second tier model
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swan lee View Post
    I've just ordered the HMX RC frame over the HMF. Partly because I got hung up on the weight difference, but I offset this to some extent by telling myself that the RC comes with a Ritchey carbon post which I could sell, whilst the standard frame came with a more mundane post.
    Also, depends if you want to know you're riding the absolute best frame as well, or happy to settle for a second tier model
    Yeah I ended up getting the RC as well, I was thinking the same thing, the Ritchey seat post does offset the cost! haha.. Not sure if I will keep the ritchey though, or swap it for something a bit lighter. Now I'm looking at getting a nice carbon lefty to match the frame and keep this thing in the ridiculous light category.

Wicketed
    Now I'm looking at getting a nice carbon lefty to match the frame and keep this thing in the ridiculous light category.
    Do it do it do it!! And then post photo's!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B