mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Scale 29 Carbon frame question

The Scott Scale 29 RC has received glowing reviews. If I could afford one, I would buy it. I am looking at the Scale 29 Pro, which is more in my price range. Obviously, the Expert and the Pro have different frames than the RC; is there a tremendous difference in frame quality? I know that a lot of lower cost carbon frames (road and mountain) are made with vastly different carbon layups and designs which greatly affect weight and ride quality. I don't want to buy a carbon bike just to have a carbon bike; I want to know I am getting a good ride, not just a good deal. Any input appreciated.

mtbr member

Scale

Good question I'm looking at one as well and would like more details. I'm currently on an AL version and love the ride.

mtbr member
    the Pro and Expert frame weight more than the RC by about 150 grms I believe. I can tell you that the expert carbon frame really does absorb the trail chatter a lot! In a blind taste test, I don't think most folks will be able to tell the difference between the Rc and the Pro, but they should be able tell the difference between the carbon vs the alum versions!
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Your Best Friend
    The RC uses HMX carbon which lighter and stronger than the HMF carbon used on the lower models. This means they can use less carbon fiber in the build of the frame but get the same strength. The frames should ride the same, the RC will just be lighter.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Because of the stiffness, the RC has a firmer ride as opposed to the Expert/Pro.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The difference in weight has nothing to do with the front triangle. The RC is the only model w/ a full carbon front and rear triangle, the Pro/Expert frames have the same carbon front triangle and aluminum rear triangle. Hope that helps.

Chris

Your Best Friend
    [QUOTE=pumaking;8880385]Because of the stiffness, the RC has a firmer ride as opposed to the Expert/Pro.[/QUOTE

I have ridden an RC for thousands of miles and a Pro for almost 100. The only difference I could feel was in how the bike was set up, not frame stiffness. So, IMO this is not true.

[QUOTE=WaitWienie;8880426]The difference in weight has nothing to do with the front triangle. The RC is the only model w/ a full carbon front and rear triangle, the Pro/Expert frames have the same carbon front triangle and aluminum rear triangle. Hope that helps.

Chris[/QUOTE

Huh? The RC/Pro/and Expert are all COMPLETELY carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Per Scott Website for the PRO: Alloy Swingarm

Spark Carbon, IMP5 technology, HMF NET, BB 92, Alloy swingarm with 160PM, U-Mono Link, Tapered Headtube, IDS SL dropouts for 142 x 12mm, BB height adjustable, 100mm rear travel

Per Scott Website for the RC: Carbon Swingarm

Spark Carbon, IMP5 technology, HMX NET, BB 92, Carbon swingarm with 160PM, U-Mono Link, Tapered Headtube, IDS SL dropouts for 142 x 12mm, BB height adjustable, 100mm rear travel

Like I said the only differance is the rear swingarm that is the extra weight. Front Mainframes are exactly the same.

Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    WaitWiene,

You are quoting information about the Scott Spark, which has a full suspension frame. This thread and the OP's original question concern the Scott Scale, which is a hardtail.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by coldryder View Post
    WaitWiene,

You are quoting information about the Scott Spark, which has a full suspension frame. This thread and the OP's original question concern the Scott Scale, which is a hardtail.
    Thanks. +1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Damn I didn't look at that. I always get the two names mixed up. Sorry.

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I have ridden an RC for thousands of miles and a Pro for almost 100. The only difference I could feel was in how the bike was set up, not frame stiffness. So, IMO this is not true.

Good thing I've ridden more miles, on a wide assortment of terrains, raced both. I've had pro's, expert's ride both and all have confirmed the RC was harsher. So, IMO it is true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Good thing I've ridden more miles, on a wide assortment of terrains, raced both. I've had pro's, expert's ride both and all have confirmed the RC was harsher. So, IMO it is true.

I bet the difference would be like less than 1/2 a psi in your tires. So if you can tell the difference between having 27 1/2 psi in your tires vs 28 than you might be able to feel the difference.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog