mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Replacing the brick-heavy 34.9 post may not be worth it...

Doing the 34.9 lightweight seatpost search, and it seems there are maybe 3 which aren't heavy pigs, and all are somewhat expensive.

Stock post and hardware is 295 grams.

Many expensive posts are about 240 to 290 grams and about $100-ish.
    From my searching it seems 100 grams and $125 is the best.
    And a shim such as eXotic Carbon Seat Post Shim 34.9 mm to 31.6 mm Spacer | eBay is about 45 grams before the approximately 180-200 gram 31.6 post at around 100 on average.

I'm the 34.9 newbie, maybe someone can show the way to a reliable lightweight post which won't break the bank. Sure was easier in the 27.2 world.
    Last edited by westin; 08-08-2012 at 03:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Your options (that I know of) are the Ritchey WCS carbon or the USE Sumo carbon. Personally I would NOT use a post with a shim - Scott state that the warranty is invalid if you use a shim, and whilst I'm sure many are running shims, do you really want to splay the seat tube and have to buy a new mainframe....?

Your other option is to got the other way and get a Reverb - they're coming through in 34.9mm shortly.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I don't like that Scott uses such an odd size and that there's not much to choose from....but I wouldn't feel comfortable using a shim on my high dollar carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    About $125 for a 34.9 KCNC which weighs about 100 grams less than stock. Rode some nasty rough trails today and between the oem post, my bibs and comfy WTB Devo and the tubeless tire at 25 psi it did not beat me to death.

I'd rather spend $125 toward rotating weight such as shoes or pedals or tires.

What an oddball seatpost size, huh!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I bought a Ritchey carbon 34.9 on ebay & shaved off 115 grams under $80.