Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So, just wanted to thank this thread for giving great guidance when tinkering with my Equalizer.
    Have been struggling to get it to work correctly and think I have nailed it with the last 5th oil change/bleed/service. Started out as that normal service because of oil puking out of the positive air chamber. Opened it up and cleaned and lubed everything and got it back together. But after a couple of rides the same symptom appeared. Oil in the air/air in the oil. Ordered new IFP seals, changed them and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately this only worked for a couple of rides more until this strange other symptom appeared. With the shock newly bled and mounted on the bike the shock just sunk to the bottom of the travel once I sat on it. Then once I got off it slowly went back to top again, like if the rebound was set to full damping. This worried me since I thought I had thrashed the shock completely. I opened it up again and found a massive amount of air in the oil, the IFPs almost at the top of the chambers. After some thought, I decided to change to a new piston seal because I suspected that air was bleeding into the oil through the seal from the negative chamber. So I ordered and changed the piston seal, making sure to bleed it thoroughly once again. And Now I think that I got it right. I've changed to Motul 2.,5wt oil and that really adds a lot in small bump sensitivity. I hope that it will still handle bigger hits well, but it fells very responsive right now.

A note on bleeding the air of the shock, since i've now done it a lot of times.
    After pumping in new oil and doing a first bleed, make sure to let the shock rest for a while to let the bubbles collect.

Keep ifp screws fastened, don't mount the positive chamber lids.

Then slowly turn the shock over (rebound knob end upwards).

Push lever and compress the shock slowly halfway. You will probably feel an initial burp of air when the air collected moves through the rebound valve.

Now, while keeping the shock half compressed, turn it over again so the rebound knob end aims downward. This will let that escaped air to collect under the ifps.

Keep shock half compressed! Pour some oil on top of the ifps and then unscrew the ifp screws.

Carefully press the air out from under the ifps, release shock and let it suck in fresh oil.

Now here's what i had trouble with. If you don't unscrew the negative valve core you might have some air left in the negative chamber and that will restrict the piston to fully extend. so make sure to pull the piston end fully out and press the valve to release that last millimeter of air.

Now, set the ifps correctly and mount the ifp screws.

Now you can turn the shock over again, wait a couple of secs and check that you don't have that burping sensation again. If so, you have to repeat the whole sequence again until it is a fully smooth sensation (this can take up to 5 times).

Yeah, and then I modified the ransom to 650B and corrected the geometry a bit but that's a different story.

Sorry for a long post.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice to see someone still tinkering into EQ. I gave up last year, currently riding RS Monarch + with fully closed compression damping. Start of stroke is little bit more stiff than EQ in traction, but mid and end seems to be more controlled though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ditto.
    Never quite got the liveliness I wanted out of the equalizers.

Switched to a Xfusion O2 R.
    Just had to tune the aircan to lower the chamber volume and it works a treat.
    Ramps up nicely at the end of stroke where the ransom linkage can get a bit nasty.

Sold the frame now though, as your always fighting a compromise with the wild leverage ratio changes the linkage has.

Scar

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Exactly, the thing now climbs like a goat and still is plush enough downhill (due to that crazy leverage) and very eager to go airborne

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I can report after 2 rides that the shock now works like a treat. All initial stroke roughness is gone and it feels very plush, controlled and bottomless. I bought the frame used and might never have felt what the shock should feel like but even when it worked the best for me it was still kind of rough. That 2.5wt really opened up the small bump responsiveness totally. In combination with 27,5 wheels and corrected angles it is like a new bike. Love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi everybody - and thanks for the thread. I`m planning service for my Equalizer 2 and I`ll do it on my own and wondering where you order the seals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2