mtbr member
    May 2013

Q's for Scott Genius LT (2012) owners

I'm wondering if anyone who owns a genius LT has been using it for park riding. I'm trying to get better at jumping it, but seemed to be getting bucked forward a lot. Have not gone over the bars, but it is keeping me hesitant from going full speed into jumps.

I road at Stevens pass and Whistler last year and plan to again this summer. Not gonna blame the bike, as I'm sure a lot of it is skill related. I notice on my other bike, which is a shorter travel 29er that I feel more confident going into jumps, basically it feels more predictable.

Any setup types for the suspension that may help? Does the high low setting on the bottom bracket have an much of impact when it comes to jumping? I know it slackens it about 1 degree.

I've been playing w the idea of swapping some parts over to a used Voltage frame for this summer, but don't know if that would change anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No idea as I don't jump but interested in the thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a 2011 LT-40 which I've used extensively for jumping (non-resort but built jumps - mostly Soquel Demo near Santa Cruz), and a couple days at a resort (Northstar), including a lot of rides down a very smooth but kind of big jump trail with a lot of tabletops (Livewire if you're familiar with Northstar). The kind of trail where if you know what you're doing you could probably take the whole thing with a very light bike with not much travel, but if you land the jumps wrong it's super nice to have plenty. I don't know if I can help with your questions though, since a lot must be dependent on the bike sizing and weight vs. your weight, plus what you were used to previously. I never tried anywhere as big jumps on my old bike (2007 full suspension Stumpjumper), but for similar size smaller jumps they handled so differently that it was hard to compare - although I don't remember feeling like I was getting bucked forward. For my size/weight (6', 190), the (30.5 lb) Stumpjumper feels squirrelly compared to the (34 lb) LT-40. Both bikes feel a bit "small" for me since I have long legs, I could probably have gone up to XL in the Stumpjumper (and they didn't make an XL in the LT to compare).

So on the bigger jumps, there were a few times I went too big and landed nose down, and it sure felt like I would have crumpled the Stumpy but the LT handled it. And there were times I landed tail heavy too. But I worked up slowly, taking jumps of one size a whole bunch before trying the next up, and since the entire bike is fairly heavy, it seems well balanced - if you have a higher end LT then the balance may be different.

Don't know if any of that rambling helps answer your questions though, seems like you'd need someone with similar bikes who's near your size/weight to really give you good answers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A lot will be technique...also I would imagine your rebound settings could have an effect too.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you mean bucked forward on launch, not after landing. My older Devinci Johnson did that once I took the flood gate out of the totem fork. (Softened compression big time). It sounds like suspension setup to me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the help everyone. Yes its occurring in the air, I find it happening more on steeper lips/take offs. So do think its more of a fork setup issue?

mtbr member
    could be the shock too I think. rebound too fast?? maybe ask in the suspension forum.

bike rider
    I used to take my 2012 LT to the dirt jumps a lot. I'd run higher air pressure in the shock (basically set it up for someone 20lbs heavier) and set the rebound slow enough to avoid bucking. I've still got the carbon frame and 2 shocks for sale if anyone's interested.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's what I recently discovered. Way more air made a huge difference.