mtbr member

Opinions - Scott Spark 70

After much looking, huge changes to original budget, many LBS visits and a multitde of rides............i think i have my choice narrowed down to 2. I dont think i have seen any reviews on this bike, so i want the Scott faithful to chime in. Its brand new and i negotiated a fair discount. Well, let the comments flow for a noob joining the ranks of modern day moungain biking in Florida!!!!!!
    Last edited by iamspartacus; 06-05-2012 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Where in Florida you at?

mtbr member
    Central Florida (Tampa/Ocala/Gainesville/Orlando)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ooooph, I'm in South Florida. I work for a Scott Dealer.

mtbr member
    Well then you are the perfect one to give me the scoop on the bike!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What do you want to know?

mtbr member
    I have seen ZERO reviews on this Spark 70. Does anyone own it? Is it a good bike? Is it the same frame as all the other Spark 26", with the exception of the carbon frames? Is it being discontinued after 2012? I just haven't been able to read up on it at all. Thanks for any and all information.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well all the Sparks for 2012 are redesigned, they're pretty much like the Spark 29 but in 26" version. The pivots and rear triangle were beefed up to eliminate the problem the earlier Spark generation experienced which was broken pivot links and broken chainstays.

I spoke to the Scott warranty manager, aside from crash replacements they have told me no warranty have been filed in terms of the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Ok, that is good news, but have you personally sold any Spark 70's? Are people just paying more for some better component groups?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    When it comes to Scott, you truly do get a lot more bang the more you pay.

I've sold Spark 70's, 60's, 50's, SL, Premium.

But it all depends on your budget, go as high as you can. Just the step into the 60 you get a better fork, shock, twinlock out.

mtbr member
    I am already 600 bucks over my budget. This started as me going from an 8 y/o 26 HT into a new 29er. I was about to buy a Scott Scale 29 Comp, but got a good deal on the one I am looking at now. The FS just felt every bit as cushy as the 29er, plus a lot of people said if you can get into a FS, do it if it is the only bike you will own. More flexibility. One day, I will get that 29er. I have wanted a Scott for a while, but the stars never aligned. Looks like they are working in my favor now. I am hoping this bang for my buck is stepping me up then other Specialized, Cannondale and Giants I have looked at........at least I think I am getting a much better bike from components I have compared. I just hope the quality and reliability is there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    With these bikes, quality and reliability are gonna be the least of your worries. Your worry is gonna be, when do I stop riding.

mtbr member
    That is the kind of review I like to read!!!!! I can't wait to get my new bike and get out on those trails we have around here. My helmet and gloves are ready to go!!!!

mtbr member
    Pumaking: Is the Spark 70 considered a Cross Country or All-Mountain bike/frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All Sparks are considered Cross Country, the Genius is considered the Trail and Genius LT is the all mountain.

mtbr member
    So where does this all fall in the categories........XC, AM, Trail? Which am I in if I ride out at Santos Trailhead?? By the way, I pick up my Spark tomorrow and am sooooooooo excited!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Spark's are considered XC, but dont worry they're more than capable in Splaantos. I got first in Santos.

mtbr member
    Here comes the noob in me.............what is the splaantos reference? Is this a race?