mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Off Angled Rear Drops on Scale Pro 29?

I noticed shortly after buying my Scott Scale Pro 29er that my rear wheel was closer to the non-drive side chain stay. I figured it had to do with the stock wheels and I would wait until I got new wheels to assess the problem again. I recently purchased a set of custom wheels. They are true and the problem still persists. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think it affects my riding but it does limit the tire size I can run on the wheels before the tire rubs again the carbon chain stay. I sent out an email to Scott and I am waiting their response. Is this a warranty issue? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It sounds like it could be the wheel dish is slightly off favoring the non-drive side. I have a 2011 Scale 29er pro with American Classic wheels and the rear tire/rim is spaced evenly between the seat stays. I would have the rear wheel dish rechecked.

Edit: Just noticed you said chain stays. I will have a look at mine, but I can't say I remember there being an issue. I do know the non-drive side stay does have a cut-out section towards the BB area for tire tread that is not as previlant on the drive side.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am in contact with Scott and apparently it was an issue with very few of their bikes. I am currently working through it and will post another reply when I get it resolved. FYI, they are super timely with responces.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Did you try string measurement? Did you check rear wheel alignment with front one? Dropouts do not have to be symmetrical.
    Try to perform string check first, this will give you idea on rear tubing alignment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's looking like a warranty issue. I still have to send in my bike for final confirmation, but I will wait for frames to come in before I do so. Thanks for the help everyone but Scott has been very responsive and is now taking care of it.

mtbr member
    Hi, I think I might have the same problem with my scale 29 expert. Do you have a picture of the tire and chain stay?

mtbr member
    Same issue here w/ the stock tire rubbing against the non drive side chainstay. I tape up the chainstay as best as I can to protect it but on the longer ride, the tire will chew through the tape and start eating at the carbon. I put a clear coat of epoxy to protect the area and that seems to be holding pretty good. Glad you started this thread as it's good to know I am not the only one!
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob View Post
    Same issue here w/ the stock tire rubbing against the non drive side chainstay. I tape up the chainstay as best as I can to protect it but on the longer ride, the tire will chew through the tape and start eating at the carbon. I put a clear coat of epoxy to protect the area and that seems to be holding pretty good. Glad you started this thread as it's good to know I am not the only one!
    You should get the frame to the shop and have it looked at. It should not be like that and if the frame is misaligned it is covered by warranty. On the other hand, the frame might not be the culprit here:

In my case it seems that the stock wheels are not dished correctly. It rubs on the left chain stay, but when I flip the wheel around and mount it with the cassette on the brake side, the gap between tire and chain stay is big enough. The wheels are machine-built and my guess is that they haven’t been stressed enough and lose tension when used. The drive side has higher tension than the non-drive side, so a possible explanation is that this side has lost more tension and the wheel becomes out of dish to the non-drive side.

I’m taking the bike back to the shop on Tuesday. Hopefully the little rub I’ve had has only damaged the clear coat and not the carbon fibre structure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does this affect the 2012 carbon models too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Pardon me to repeat myself... Did anyone actually perform string test? String test is easiest, the most accurate HOME method of checking frame alignment. It don't check rear to front wheel alignment but definitely can provide meaningful information on frame rear triangle alignment.

Once string test is done, well you have fact based information to make warranty claim. Eye tests are just good for first examination.

P.S. Please make sure you are using rear hub-inner dropout surfaces for measurement.

mtbr member
    I took my bike to the shop today and the mechanic concluded that the frame was bad. It seems that the left dropout that is slightly misaligned resulting in tire rub, not a crooked rear triangle per se. They will talk to the distributor on Tuesday (when the holidays are over) and I'll know what they'll do about it. This is a 2012 scale 29 expert.

I did the string test, but it was hard for me to judge anything from it. This might be due to the problem being in the dropout and not the rear triangle, but it is hard to tell. The misalignment is just a few millimetres, but with the stock 2.25 tires the clearance is pretty tight in the first place, so the tire rubs in hard corners etc. Even with a straight frame I would make sure that the wheels and QRs are pretty tight to avoid possible rubbing in hard turns.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi from France

Xcuse my english

I ve got the same problem on my scott scale 29 pro (2011) i ve bought it on september 2011. Scott decide to change my frame to an 2012 frame model. They said they known this problem.
    And guess what..... the problem is still the same on the 2012 frame.

Next week I m going to bring my bike directly to their repair office and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into the entire scale frame's stock ,

I ll give you some news maybe from my cell.

See ya guys
    Last edited by khobayashi; 04-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    I talked to the distributor today and they couldn't find anything wrong with the frame. They claimed that the clearance was tight, but that the frame was straight and that the rubbing was caused by the wheel flexing. I am not entirely convinced, but will increase the tension in the rear wheel and see if the problem persists.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any news, my 2012 Scale 29er Expert is also like this and it bugs the heck out of me every time I ride..... at almost $3000.00 there has to be a reason for this.... the $500 bikes are perfect???? LBS said its probably OK and just ride it... but now why would I spend $2000 later on a nice set of new wheels when they will run crooked. . Very frustrating… Another LBS said it was supposed to be like this due to the extra sprocket on the drive side (10 instead of 9) and it off-sets the wheel to the left…mmmmm

mtbr member
    My bike is now being looked at for the second time by the distributor. They claim that it is caused by the dish of the wheel and has sent the wheel to our DT-rep. for a checkup. This bugs me, as correcting the dish is something any wheelbuilder can straighten up in a matter of minutes. The whole thing is pretty annoying as they had the frame AND wheel the first time around, but back then everything was ok.

I am still not convinced that the wheel is to blame, since I both checked the wheel myself and tried another wheel in the frame.

JCWorx: The LBS claiming that the wheel has a different off-set due to 10-speed vs. 9-speed is plainly wrong. Both standards fit the same driveshells so that any bike can be upgraded. Have they really heard about anyone rebuilding their wheel when they converted to 10-speed?

mtbr member
    JCXWorx,

I agree that your lbs is treating you like an idiot! You can fit a 9 or 10 speed cassette on the same hub of the same wheel on the same bike!

My lbs is in talks w/ Scott as well. It's been checked very carefully by my lbs and it's definitely the drop outs that are misaligned. No doubt about it. They have a tool that mounts to each chainstay and then lines up w/ itself and you can see that it does not line up straight!

The question is going to be if Scott considers this problematic enough to warranty.

I hope they do cause I spend the last race having to dismount four or five time to realign the wheel and pull it over so it would stop chopping up my left chainstay. Lost at least a minute & half having to do. Not something you want to loose because of manufacturing issues when you are killing yourself!

My fix for now has been to put two layers of helicopter tape right under the left dropout. This prevents the wheel from sitting all the way in the left dropout an realigns the wheel a little better. The problem is that eventually the tape wears through and then the rubbing starts!

W/ the rubbing of course comes the left chainstay being completely chewed up! I try to protect it w/ the helicopter tape as well but most often that gets cut through by the tire before my race or my ride are over. I fear that one day it will cut all the way through or damage the chainstay enough for it to snap and that I'll take one hell of a fall.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah, my LBS tried to pull the same thing but I new they were full of it. I went directly to Scott.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I from france 2 (the revenge)

2 weeks ago during a run,i've stuck my wheel and broke the "derailleur hanger" because of to this problem. I ve repair my bike in the forrest to change him to a single speed to go back home

then I bring back my bike to the shop with my Armalite AR10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon and tell them i don't want to keep this carbon frame anymore.

they ask about the problem to scott who decide to replace my frame by a spark elite's frame for free or by a spark RC carbon for 800 Euros

I decide to replace my frame with the spark elite even if it s a not a carbon frame

i ve take some picture in bike shop and all the scale 29 pro carbon got the same problem.
    So 2 explications :
    The problem come from the frame
    The problem come from the rear wheel (i really doubt about that)

See ya guys
    and excuse my english again

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Same problem in italia :
    29pollici.com/hubpub/showthread.php?t=7913]Scott scale pro 29 problema - Hubpub il forum di 29pollici.com dedicato alle mtb 29ers

A video on youtube about the problem
    youtube.com/watch?v=wxL2wn2LTg4

See ya guys and good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by khobayashi View Post

A video on youtube about the problem
    youtube.com/watch?v=wxL2wn2LTg4
    This is crazy. I would imagine this could happen on DRIVE side - due to space consumed by chainrings...
    Market trend is to make as short chainstays as possible, thus they are not necessarily symmetrical.

In my opinion there is no excuse to such small clearance on NON drive side. Anyway, sad to see this, good luck