mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?

I don't recall ever having read a positive review about this shock, since it was first introduced in 2011. Constant feedback seems to be that it lags behind the Monarch and the RP3 and feels over-damped on compression.

What do owners out there think?

mtbr member
    i've owened one of these 4 a couple of month's. took a"little" dialing. haven't had a problem yet. genius 730. best bike i"ve ever owned. others that have rode it, agree, it's way stiffer than their specialized, so on and so forth. don't know if it's the bike or the shock? or both?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I changed both fork and shock to CTD Fox and love it, plush yet firm. Climb mode is almost lockout. I didnt opt for remote as I had Fox remote control, but the CTD levers on the 2013 are large and easy to operate on the fly by hand.

I have three frıends who have the Nude, but the remote lever constantly breaks down!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0672.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0673.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0674.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0675.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0676.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0678.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0679.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0680.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0681.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0682.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0683.jpg  

Is the Nude2 rear shock really as bad as most reviews claim?-dsc_0684.jpg  

Outlaw
    I picked up a Genius 930 at the end of March. I had been on a HT forever so I don't have a ton of DS riding under my belt.

That being said I have no problem with the Nude2. It is super plush compared to what I know. If I notice anything that I can describe it is that the suspension compresses the right amount for my weight but seems sorta dampened. I'm comparing that to a Rocky and a Kona that I demoed.

All in all I have nothing negative to say about the suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cws196 View Post
    I don't recall ever having read a positive review about this shock, since it was first introduced in 2011. Constant feedback seems to be that it lags behind the Monarch and the RP3 and feels over-damped on compression.

What do owners out there think?
    I have spark 910 for a few months now, and after a lots of miles i can put my judgement now.
    I rode Trek Fuell ex before, with Fox rear shock, and i simple ignore those feedback. Why?
    First, as someone (i forgot who) well said, its different philosophy between nude and fox shocks. The biggest trick is, that you have to use your twin lock and adjust your rear shock, for example, you have traction mode on and you want to excelerate quickly, just completely lock rear shock, stand up and pedal like a crazy, no bobbing, nothing, your FS Scott will be as firm as HT scale. Then you want to drive slowly, simple, click, and you will have smaller absorb of rear shock, comfy ride, then, again, descent, you need full absorbtion, click click, you have it!
    Thats the point, just learn how to use your twin lock as you want to change your ride style. its not lock and forget kind of a shock.
    And small hint - simple put a little more pressure in the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodraider View Post
    I have spark 910 for a few months now, and after a lots of miles i can put my judgement now.
    I rode Trek Fuell ex before, with Fox rear shock, and i simple ignore those feedback. Why?
    First, as someone (i forgot who) well said, its different philosophy between nude and fox shocks. The biggest trick is, that you have to use your twin lock and adjust your rear shock, for example, you have traction mode on and you want to excelerate quickly, just completely lock rear shock, stand up and pedal like a crazy, no bobbing, nothing, your FS Scott will be as firm as HT scale. Then you want to drive slowly, simple, click, and you will have smaller absorb of rear shock, comfy ride, then, again, descent, you need full absorbtion, click click, you have it!
    Thats the point, just learn how to use your twin lock as you want to change your ride style. its not lock and forget kind of a shock.
    You are correct, the twin lock is the most important reason why people buy a Spark. The remote lever that Fox offers is bulky, ugly and you need two for both front and rear (though there is a new smaller remote lever that I recently saw on the web, but you still may need two of them yet again). I too bought a Spark but changed to Fox as a) the twin lock system broke down on three of my friends' bikes which irritated me and b) I prefer the Fox rear shock (especially with Kashima coating) but that is a personal matter.

The Spark is an amazing bicycle and I am more than happy to own it other than that.

Lusus Naturae
    Spesh, I need to know the exact bushings you used for that rear shock conversion! I have a new RP23 sitting around but not sure what bushings to use. The RP23 came with some bushings attached but they don't appear to be the right size exactly.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi, its 6mmx22.2
    r2-bike.com/Fox-Daempferbuchsen-Einbaubuchsen-6mm - Translator

Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance View Post
    Spesh, I need to know the exact bushings you used for that rear shock conversion! I have a new RP23 sitting around but not sure what bushings to use. The RP23 came with some bushings attached but they don't appear to be the right size exactly.

Thanks!

Lusus Naturae
    Great, is that just for the back end of the shock? What about the front? Do I need two sets? Is it 22.2mm in the front and the back?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Great, is that just for the back end of the shock? What about the front? Do I need two sets? Is it 22.2mm in the front and the back?
    Hi, you need 2 sets of 6mmx22.2 (one for the front and one for the rear end).

Lusus Naturae
    OK cool, picked up two sets from PricePoint, part num 803-03-144.
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...dwr_Chart.xlsx

Next up: replace the fork with my F120 w/remote lockout.

mtbr member
    It's not as bad as everyone says.

I've had a 2012 Spark 29 and a 2013 Spark 29. I used a single cable Trackloc lever for both, used an XX fork instead of the Twinloc.

The 2012 shock I liked, but as a racer. It really kind of sucked for trail riding and I can see why it got terrible reviews. The middle position was very highly damped for compression, which was awesome for climbing and hard race efforts. The open position pretty much had no compression damping and was too wallowy to perform well descending, but man could you maintain speed while pedaling over really rough terrain.

The 2013 shock is better all around. The traction mode is less firmly damped, and doesn't really lose anything to the 2012 on big pedaling efforts. The open mode has more compression damping, making it better for descending, it's just not quite as good at pedalling over rough terrain.

The 2013 overall is a better shock, and I can see where it would appeal to MANY more people. I don't think most would feel the need to swap out the 2013.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Yooo the guy from istambul how much does your bike weight? It seems to be veryyy light...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpri View Post
    Yooo the guy from istambul how much does your bike weight? It seems to be veryyy light...
    Hey PRI...Its been about 3 weeks that I got my Spark 900 SL and I did weigh the whole bike initially and when I swapped some parts (but I didn't write it all down).

The Spark 900 SL came in at 9.6kg (advertised at 9.2kg). The inner tubes were 400g together (maybe Scott weighed it without it??). I swapped the seat post and saddle and reduced the weight by 70-90g as far as I remember. Also swapped the stem (a weeney bit shorter) which made up another 30-40g. Changed front and rear quick releases to Tune (but its a pain to put on) which saved 70g. Fox fork added only 50g surprisingly. Ditched Nude2 and remote for Fox rear shock (didn't weigh both but loss of remote handle maybe 70g?). Changed Furious Fred to Racing Ralph (rear) and Nobby Nick (front) which added 450g plus.

Bottom line, it weighs 9.55kg currently without pedals and is a size medium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

The nude is a piece of crap really

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I agree with brentos and Woodraider (above) with regard the 2013 Nude2.

For most of us riding recent Scotts it is the Twinloc AND the Nude2 vs various Fox shocks +/- the CTD levers. I'm really liking the opportunity to dynamically change not only the suspension of the bike according to trail conditions, but also the geometry of the bike. Then there are the esthetics of the Fox CTD levers ... a major reason I'm not riding a Rocky Mountain bike now.

I have moved on past set and forget.

best wishes all,

Kegor

Lusus Naturae
    Finally got the spark all dialed up with Fox: RP23 on the back and F120 remote on the front. Much better! Small bump compliance is much better and no trail chatter coming through.

SpeshIstambul: I noticed you have flat handlebars / race setup but the frame setting you have in more slack angle?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Your response is assuming every critic and owner of a bike with the "nude 2 or 3" shock is an idiot who doesn't know how to unlock their shock.

I'm pretty sure they fully understand and are aware of what the twinlok is for and how it works. For a lot of us twinlock owners that's the whole reason why we bought it in the first place!

A few critics and owners do complain because it isn't as plush nor easier to dial in as the FOX shocks.

I myself, have not had any suspension issues so far with my Genius. For me it just works and it works right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I believe you completely misunderstood my point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Finally got the spark all dialed up with Fox: RP23 on the back and F120 remote on the front. Much better! Small bump compliance is much better and no trail chatter coming through.

SpeshIstambul: I noticed you have flat handlebars / race setup but the frame setting you have in more slack angle?
    Hi,
    The handle bar is the stock one, I shortened it by 1.5cm each side and I changed the stem (a bit shorter). I am 173cm "tall" and have a medium frame, hence kept it in the slack angel (low).

By the way, the CTD lever on both fork and shock is very easy to move around, it almost makes the remote obsolete....almost!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I believe you completely misunderstood my point.
    I think I did misunderstand but I think you misunderstood the original posts question. He's asking if the Nude is inferior or as bad as the critics are saying. Your post you pointed out how the twinlock works. Sure the Fox CTD and Twinlock are a little different but his posts was specifically aimed at the nude 2 rear schock.

People complain about how unresponsive it is to bumps, it's not as plush as they would like it to be. Also, in terms of setting it up is a little more work then a FOX rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am firmly sure you completely misunderstood my point.
    My point how twinloc works is the main reason why ppl have problems with this shock over the fox or rs.
    Another point is setting shock up, wich is another reason why ppl have problems.

Genius
    I have Genius 2010. Two weeks ago Scott factory came to town with a fleet of demo bikes. I took out a Genius 29er and loved it. The Nude shock was perfect. It's all in the setup.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshIstanbul View Post
    I changed both fork and shock to CTD Fox and love it, plush yet firm. Climb mode is almost lockout. I didnt opt for remote as I had Fox remote control, but the CTD levers on the 2013 are large and easy to operate on the fly by hand.

I have three frıends who have the Nude, but the remote lever constantly breaks down!
    Can you tell me what you needed to do to change the shock to Fox - what bushes did you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Rear shock 6.5"x1.5" with 22mmx6mm hardware/bushes