Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

New 700 Genius WB....long

Anyone else notice that. 29'er long really. Of all the new 650B bikes I can check only the new Banshee is longer by .2" None of the short reviews I've read really mention it so perhaps not an issue to worry about? Still, this bike is almost 2" longer than my Jamis. I guess this is the "new school" geometry thing going on?

Here's what I found for size large frames

Banshee Spitfire..........46.8"
    Scott 700....................46.6"
    Ventana Zeus..............46.14"
    Intense Tracer 275.......46.0"
    Rocky Altitude.............45.8"
    Foes 275.....................45.8"
    Norco Sight.................45.7"
    Intense Carbine 275.....45.2"
    Jamis Dakar................44.76"
    Ibis Mojo HD 140.........44.4" (certified by Ibis for 650 in 140 mode)
    KHS 5500 650B/140....???

Thoughts/comments
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I noticed the same thing. Wonder how its gonna ride.

bike rider
    Wheelbase isn't a great number to think too much about cuz it's affected by too many things: chainstay, effective toptube, fork length, headtube angle.
    Instead look at toptube and chainstay length. The top tube is pretty standard at 24.6" for large. The chainstay at 17.3" is definitely .5"+ longer than most comparable 26" bikes and you'll feel that. Too bad they couldn't those wheels in a 16.8-17" chainstay. So the back'll probably feel a little longer than your current bike, the front you decide by picking the TT length you like.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, I know about all the other factors but when you stretch something out you're gonna lose something or at least change a feeling like liveliness, agility, turning etc. Personally I think people get way to hung up about CS length. If nothing else long stays aid in climbing and keeping the front end down (Turner found this out with the new Burner when he tried using short stays. Now check the length) The Scott WB is 2" longer than my Jamis which is huge for a bike IMO. I'm super keen on the new 650 Banshee Spitfire and that's the same way but it won't be ready for the test so I ask about the Scott since it mirrors the Banshee.

mtbr member
    I rode the genius 700 at a local demo and without even knowing any of the specs I could tell it was long. I got hung up on a log pile which I normally make on any of my other bikes I seem to think it was due to the longer wheelbase. The bike didn't really wow me and I felt like it had terrible steering. I think its off my list as a possible bike to replace my current trail bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I got my 730 yesterday.....I'll be riding it this weekend. First impressions are it is long, tall and very heavy! Gulp!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90mccall View Post
    I got my 730 yesterday.....I'll be riding it this weekend. First impressions are it is long, tall and very heavy! Gulp!
    Well, that's honesty Look forward to your thoughts after riding this weekend. And pics or it didn't happen

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I'll provide pics, but only after its built, no point in up loading pics of a big box! :-)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Tacked together now.....feels pretty big, quite tall, quite long, MASSIVE 2.35 tyres.

Weight is not TOO bad, but heavier than my old 8.5kg bike and my new 7.5kg cross bike, so maybe I just need to get used to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 700 Genius WB....long-img_20121114_212112.jpg  

New 700 Genius WB....long-img_20121114_212703.jpg  

New 700 Genius WB....long-img_20121114_212742.jpg  

New 700 Genius WB....long-img_20121114_212753.jpg  

New 700 Genius WB....long-img_20121114_212810.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lovely looking bike for sure. I've got a thing for blue so the black with blue trim just really appeals to me.

Tuck those cable up under the BB. Steerer tube looks quite short, especially in relation to seat height. Did you cut it down or did it come like that?

Oh, very glad you described the tires as huge since I have the same set arriving today or tomorrow.
    Last edited by skidad; 11-15-2012 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, serious cable work to do! The twinloc cables are stupid.

steerer tube is as-is...I have one spacer on top and one on the bottom. They are quite big spacers, maybe 10mm.....

My seat hight is 770mm from center BB to top of saddle. This is a large frame and I am 6'1"....a good fit.

I am getting a kashima upgrade, also gonna change the tallas internals to float, smoother.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What do you mean "Kashima upgrade"?. You send the fork to Fox to have the stanchions replaced?

That steerer would be an issue for me. I'm 6' and like my bars about level with the seat or just a tad lower. Both my bikes had 20mm spacers under the stem and the Prophet still needs a Hope 25 degree stem with 1" riser bars to get there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Jez, bars level with saddle, thats a bit high?

Fox agent here offered upgrade, so I'm taking it. New sanctions and inners.....he is waiting for 34mm 27.5 stations!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Jez, bars level with saddle, thats a bit high?

Fox agent here offered upgrade, so I'm taking it. New sanctions and inners.....he is waiting for 34mm 27.5 stations!
    Wow, nice on the upgrade

Bars....maybe it's the 30+ years on dirt bikes where bars are higher than the seat, or maybe my 55YO back but for the super rocky technical trails I ride it works, is comfy and allows me to get the front wheel up fairly easy. An inch lower than seat height is as low as I'll go for all around use.

Some good reading BetterRide Mountain Bike Skills Tips

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Joe,
    Does the Aluminum frame have the routing ports for a Reverb Stealth seatpost like the Carbon frame does?

Baby Bear is in the house
    I got my 730 yesterday.... very heavy! Gulp!
    Based on your other post lower down, I'm thinking you mean 11kg?
    Did you get to weigh it at all? Just curious...
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    KHS 5500 650B/140....???

Thoughts/comments
    It's strange that KHS don't publish their wheelbases. But going by the 17.5" chainstays of the 5500, one could deduce that the WB is probably also long.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Based on your other post lower down, I'm thinking you mean 11kg?
    Did you get to weigh it at all? Just curious...
    Francois just got the carbon 720 Genius for the 650 bike shootout. 29.65lbs in medium frame size

Although it's the lowest carbon model I thought it might be lighter than that.

bike rider
    My Genius LT is lighter than that. This had the promise to be an amazing bike but long chainstays and a heavy parts pick could kill it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The 730 is about 13kg, Dont have a scales, but i is a bit porkey! 1500grm wheels will help, antoher winter project.

I dont this there is scope for a stealth dropper, but there are guides for external. You can see them in the pics. There are a couple of plastic covers that you can pop out and pop in a guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    My Genius LT is lighter than that. This had the promise to be an amazing bike but long chainstays and a heavy parts pick could kill it.
    so swap some parts... id be suprised if my 910 doesnt come in under 25lbs

bike rider
    ^Just saying that's gonna be a turn-off to people buying a complete. Yeah, you could get just the frame and build it light and custom (what I did with my LT) but most buyers are comparing completes and overall weight will hurt sales. I gotta wonder how much the frame weighs though and it doesn't sound light. Still hurting it is that 650 promised shorter chainstays than 29 but at 17.3" these are gonna feel long to a 26 rider. Over 17" is DH only territory on 26ers.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    ^Just saying that's gonna be a turn-off to people buying a complete. Yeah, you could get just the frame and build it light and custom (what I did with my LT) but most buyers are comparing completes and overall weight will hurt sales. I gotta wonder how much the frame weighs though and it doesn't sound light. Still hurting it is that 650 promised shorter chainstays than 29 but at 17.3" these are gonna feel long to a 26 rider. Over 17" is DH only territory on 26ers.
    My Jamis Dakar B2 has...gulp...17.7" CS:

Does make it hard to get the front end up but it helps with climbing. Notice also at the top of the page only the Mojo HD 140 has a shorter WB than the Jamis. Kind of odd, short WB with really long stays but dam it rides nice on my trails.

bike rider
    ^A planted front end I suspect.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow....I just had my first spin on the 730 yesterday....f me! What a bike! Initial concerns about the long WB and big, awkward wheels disappeared pretty quickly! Iím not sure if it was the big wheels, the suspension, or the massive tyres but the bike just went were you asked!

Loved the twinloc, I used it all the time. I did most of the trials from the first 2012 gravity enduro (link below), so not too technical, more flowey. There were some really tight hairpins on one descent, and I thought I would struggle with the long WB and the bigger wheels, but no probs, railed around them.

I have the stem negative, but I will flip it to bring the bars up. The tallas in the lockdown position are actually very low, so I will get away with the higher position.

Now, all I need to do is get the weight down. Think Iíll get some light-bicycle carbon rims and build up some hope pro2 evo hubs, must try and find some big light tyres!

Trek Gravity Enduro Ireland Round 1 - Djouce Woods, Co Wicklow on Vimeo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast