Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bike rider
    Hope hubs are pretty heavy. I usually stick to the tried and true (and light) DT240 rear, Pimplite front but to save some money I just used a Hope rear hub. It was heavier than advertised and about 100g heavier than a DT.

The only biggish 650 tire know is available now is the 2.35" Nevegal.
    Keep the Country country.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90mccall View Post
    The 730 is about 13kg, Dont have a scales, but i is a bit porkey! 1500grm wheels will help, antoher winter project..
    According to Skidad's post above, the stock 720 weighs about the same.

Hmmmm...So why pay $700 more than the 730 for a carbon frame? Yeah, carbon is stronger, stiffer, etc. etc., but it also should be lighter than comparable size alloy frame, no?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

bike rider
    Claimed weight for the carbon frame with shock is 5.04lb. I can't imagine the alloy model being under 6lb.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Claimed weight for the carbon frame with shock is 5.04lb. I can't imagine the alloy model being under 6lb.
    This is true. The components on the 720 and 730 are the same. The 720 theoretically therefore should be a pound lighter. Someone in this thread has a faulty scale?

Anyway, I have a 2010 Jamis B2 that weighs:
    New 700 Genius WB....long-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353524919.882533.jpg
    This bike does not have a weight weenie build by any stretch. For example an old school Joplin dropper post. I love the bike and it has another couple of seasons in it.

If I get a new 27.5" trail bike @ north of $5k, whatever frame material, I would hope for ~26lbs.

I suppose I'm dreaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bike rider
    Sub 26lb for a 650 full sus bike @ $5k should be possible with a smart parts pick. If none of the companies are doing a good enough job you'll have to do a custom build with carefully sourced deals and used parts. Being able to build your own wheels or trade beer for the labor saves big when going for a light/cheap setup. I think you could even sneak Chinese carbon rims in. A dropper post makes it harder but not too bad if you stick to a lighter one and you'll have to use a somewhat unburly tire like a 2.35" Racing Ralph.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Sub 26lb for a 650 full sus bike @ $5k should be possible with a smart parts pick. If none of the companies are doing a good enough job you'll have to do a custom build with carefully sourced deals and used parts. Being able to build your own wheels or trade beer for the labor saves big when going for a light/cheap setup. I think you could even sneak Chinese carbon rims in. A dropper post makes it harder but not too bad if you stick to a lighter one and you'll have to use a somewhat unburly tire like a 2.35" Racing Ralph.
    Always do my own labor and learning to build wheels 2 years ago was a smart move . Will buy the frame that sounds best and go from there. Hopefully Genius.

mtbr member
    Carbon frame models are not always that much lighter than the alloy ones.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSPOOK View Post
    Carbon frame models are not always that much lighter than the alloy ones.
    Right, there's plenty that are around 1/2lb difference and I bet this one is around 3/4. I bet my 6+lb guess for a medium alloy is closer to reality than their 5.06lb for a carbon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi,

I was guessing the weight of the bike, probably more like 13.5 kgs......only ridden the bike once since, I have been sick. Rode up some savage built steps on a mountain, and I got up it easier than my old 26"er, however, I think that was more to do with the monster tyres.

Being sick, I really felt the extra weight of the bike......ugghhhh......cant wait for summer dusty alpine trails!

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2