New 700 Genius WB....long

Printable View

• 11-19-2012
    Lelandjt
    Hope hubs are pretty heavy. I usually stick to the tried and true (and light) DT240 rear, Pimplite front but to save some money I just used a Hope rear hub. It was heavier than advertised and about 100g heavier than a DT.

The only biggish 650 tire know is available now is the 2.35" Nevegal.
  • 11-20-2012
    dwt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joe90mccall View Post
    The 730 is about 13kg, Dont have a scales, but i is a bit porkey! 1500grm wheels will help, antoher winter project..

According to Skidad's post above, the stock 720 weighs about the same.

Hmmmm...So why pay $700 more than the 730 for a carbon frame? Yeah, carbon is stronger, stiffer, etc. etc., but it also should be lighter than comparable size alloy frame, no?
  • 11-20-2012
    Lelandjt
    Claimed weight for the carbon frame with shock is 5.04lb. I can't imagine the alloy model being under 6lb.
  • 11-21-2012
    dwt
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Claimed weight for the carbon frame with shock is 5.04lb. I can't imagine the alloy model being under 6lb.

This is true. The components on the 720 and 730 are the same. The 720 theoretically therefore should be a pound lighter. Someone in this thread has a faulty scale?

Anyway, I have a 2010 Jamis B2 that weighs:
    Attachment 739204
    This bike does not have a weight weenie build by any stretch. For example an old school Joplin dropper post. I love the bike and it has another couple of seasons in it.

If I get a new 27.5" trail bike @ north of $5k, whatever frame material, I would hope for ~26lbs.

I suppose I'm dreaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 11-21-2012
    Lelandjt
    Sub 26lb for a 650 full sus bike @ $5k should be possible with a smart parts pick. If none of the companies are doing a good enough job you'll have to do a custom build with carefully sourced deals and used parts. Being able to build your own wheels or trade beer for the labor saves big when going for a light/cheap setup. I think you could even sneak Chinese carbon rims in. A dropper post makes it harder but not too bad if you stick to a lighter one and you'll have to use a somewhat unburly tire like a 2.35" Racing Ralph.
  • 11-21-2012
    dwt
    Quote:

Sub 26lb for a 650 full sus bike @ $5k should be possible with a smart parts pick. If none of the companies are doing a good enough job you'll have to do a custom build with carefully sourced deals and used parts. Being able to build your own wheels or trade beer for the labor saves big when going for a light/cheap setup. I think you could even sneak Chinese carbon rims in. A dropper post makes it harder but not too bad if you stick to a lighter one and you'll have to use a somewhat unburly tire like a 2.35" Racing Ralph.

Always do my own labor and learning to build wheels 2 years ago was a smart move . Will buy the frame that sounds best and go from there. Hopefully Genius.
  • 11-26-2012
    LukeSPOOK
    Quote:

Carbon frame models are not always that much lighter than the alloy ones.
    :)
  • 11-26-2012
    Lelandjt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeSPOOK View Post
    Carbon frame models are not always that much lighter than the alloy ones.
    :)

Right, there's plenty that are around 1/2lb difference and I bet this one is around 3/4. I bet my 6+lb guess for a medium alloy is closer to reality than their 5.06lb for a carbon.
  • 11-28-2012
    joe90mccall
    Hi,

I was guessing the weight of the bike, probably more like 13.5 kgs......only ridden the bike once since, I have been sick. Rode up some savage built steps on a mountain, and I got up it easier than my old 26"er, however, I think that was more to do with the monster tyres.

Being sick, I really felt the extra weight of the bike......ugghhhh......cant wait for summer dusty alpine trails!

Joe