mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New 2013 Scale 900 SL Fork Setup Help Needed

I just bought a new 2013 Scale 900 SL. I took it on it's maiden voyage today and confirmed that the Furious Freds are best left for CX, road, or super smooth trails. I since switched to a Rocket Ron in the front and a Maxxis Ikon in the rear (both tubeless).

I noticed that my RS SID WC RLT3 was only using about 2.5 inches of travel. I'm sure that added to the super stiff and punishing ride I experienced today. I've scoured my manuals, CD, the RS website, and Google for setup instructions on the 2013 SID WC SoloAir. However, I haven't been able to find anything. To make things a big more difficult Scott Oem'd a special model from RS. It's a World Cup with the cheaper RLT3 damper and a mechanical remote lockout. I don't think I mind the differences, but it means that this model's setup will be different than the standard SID models. I need to know how to tune the thing and why I'm only getting 2.5 inches of travel out of it. BTW, I have the air spring set to the recommended PSI for my weight (115psi). The remote lockout is in the open position. The rebound is a 3 clicks away from Turtle dude.

Can anyone provide some tuning tips on this fork model or better yet point me to a setup guide?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Release all the air, start from scratch. DO NOT GO BY WEIGHT CHART, set sag.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the tip Pumaking. I tried it and when I compressed the fork after letting out all the air there was a very pronounced stop in the travel at a little over half the stroke. Then it released and went all the way down. I pumped it up to 20% sag which was about 15PSI less than what I had before.

I did a ride today and it definitely helped. The slow speed compliance was a bit too soft for my liking but that's OK. I miss the dual air chambers for tuning the slow speed compression. Anyway, I still wasn't getting much more travel. I then opened up the flood gate almost all the way. That seemed to help the platform and I was able to get a little over 80mm of travel. I'm not sure why I'm still not getting closer to the 100mm that I should. I definitively hit some hi speed g-outs that should have used up the travel. Instead the fork seems to stop in it's travel abruptly and then bounce off the obstacle.

I'm wondering if it Dual Air feature is what is causing the firm platform that is stopping the travel. Here is the explanation from the RS website: "A user-adjustable knob controls the beginning-stroke (small-hit) rebound, and a factory-set ending-stroke (big-hit)". The factory setting ending-stroke seems to be set way too firm but I don't know if there is a way to change it.

It's much better that it was yesterday so I can live with it. However, it's nowhere near a plush as my older Reba w/brain.