mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Need help on bike choice

To the point:

Option 1: Keep Scott Scale 910 (2014) and add Scott Spark 730.
    Option 2: Sell Scale 910 and buy 2015 Scott Spark 910 (this will be my only mtb bike).

Longer version:

My focus is xc racing (Cat 1. - fighting for podium) and I want to keep a 29 inch xc-race orientated bike. However, I would like to add a full-suspension for non-race rides and maybe for longer and/or more technical races.

Based on my budget, my two options are above. I currently have a Scott Scale 910 which I love for 80% of the races, but it is not as fun on all-mountain trails. If I keep the Scale, the most bike I could afford is a 730. My thinking is to get a 27.5 for the increased travel and set it up a bit more all-mountain. I may race it so I do want to have it xc orientated. I could go for the Spark 910 but would it be as fast as my Scale? I know the lockouts are pretty good, but I love the hardtail for climbing which is my strength.

So, which option would you choose? Thanks for any advice..
    Last edited by tominbend; 10-13-2014 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Option 3: Keep Scale, get Genius 7x0? If you want all-mountain, that would be more appropriate than the Spark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks dje31. Something to ponder. But I would like a full-suspension I can race on for 100 miles and technical xc racing so I am not sure the Genius would work..

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Well, it's going to be a compromise any way you look at it. Ideally, with unlimited funds, you'd have one of each...who wouldn't?

Maybe work out the percentage of time you spend between XC racing, trail riding, training, and all-mountain, and importance to you. Weigh each usage option accordingly...then you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks dj31. Sound advice; always a trade off. Based on my riding style, location, and money, I am leaning towards the Spark 910 option. Keeping the Scale (HT) and getting a Spark 730 would be about $1500 more when it is all said and done.

Any other opinions out there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    No problem...happy to help. That's probably the best all-around compromise, honestly, and really, not that much of a compromise. If you can only swing a one-bike quiver, you could certainly do (much) worse.

As an aside, the Syncros components are, IMHO, much better than most other house brands. For me, I've had my eye on the Spark 900 Premium or the 910 for a while now. I could actually take either one, straight-out-of-the-box, and not feel compelled to swap anything, with the possible exception of the saddle, depending on how it fit my rear.

With all the bikes I've owned in my life, that's never been the case. I've always felt the need to fiddle with or swap something.

Though if I did feel like swapping stuff, I'd probably do the 900 Premium frame, fork, and Syncros gear, with the 910's full XT brakes and transmission, and the carbon wheels from the 900SL...maybe the previous gen XTR cranks...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If it's not too late, have a look at the Yeti ASR Carbon.. I was in a very similar situation coming from a 5" travel 26'er and looking at a Scott Spark for XC racing/Endurance racing but not wanting to sacrifice the fun factor.

For me, the ASR Carbon was that happy medium. It's lighter than a comparably specced Spark, but has 20mm more travel in the fork. The geometry is very race oriented pedaling platform is very stable. The chainstays are .1 inches shorter on the Yeti vs. the Scott and the HT angle is a bit slacker: 69.1 on the Yeti vs 69.5 on the Scott in the low BB setting. The Scott does have a lower BB even in the long setting (12.8" vs 13")

While the remote lockout on the Scott is a neat feature I found the cockpit crowded and sometimes ended up pushing the wrong lever in the heat of the moment. The Yeti on the other hand I just set to Trail mode and don't touch unless there's extended climbing ahead in which case a quick reach down takes but a split second.

I ultimately decided on the Yeti because I expect the more forgiving geometry to pay off on 100-mile race days. In terms of speed, the Scott's geometry is arguably faster on paper but the weight difference all but makes up for that and the Yeti descends significantly better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dje31 View Post
    Option 3: Keep Scale, get Genius 7x0? If you want all-mountain, that would be more appropriate than the Spark.
    This is what my husband did. He has a hard tail for less technical races and the Genius for fun riding and he's done a few races too. It's pretty close in weight to a Spark, just less of a racing geometry and more travel. It's got the same twinlock as the Spark.

But I also have a Spark 910 that I really like and is my only MTB. It does everything I need/want it to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dje31 View Post
    Though if I did feel like swapping stuff, I'd probably do the 900 Premium frame, fork, and Syncros gear, with the 910's full XT brakes and transmission, and the carbon wheels from the 900SL...maybe the previous gen XTR cranks...
    As it turns out, this is pretty close to what I ended up doing. While on a business trip, I found a leftover '14 900SL closeout and the shop was willing to work with me.

Removed the XX1 drivetrain, because, sorry, no matter how good it is, I can't see a cassette---made and intended to wear out and be replaced---costing nearly $400 US.

Put an XT cassette, rear mech and rear shifter, last gen XTR crank in a 1x10 setup, and it's freakin' sweet! Everything else is stock. So far, even the Syncros saddle is working for my rear.

The only weak link is the engine...