mtbr member
    Jun 2009

My New Toy!!! 2012 Scott Spark Expert

Here it is completely stock out of the box with tubes, came it at 26.3lbs It is getting torn down and hopefully put on a 3-4 pound diet in the next week. I have a 29er Scott Scale RC frame ordered as well.

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice bike! I've got one of these ordered as well. I would be interested in what changes you make to shed some weight. I'm looking to make some budget concious weight reductions to mine when it gets here. Probably just some Crest wheels to start.

I will probably change the tires to IKON EXO, as the sidewalls on those rocket rons will be toast on the terrain around here.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's a size large. Just changing it to tubeless with drop almost a lb. going tubeless with some crests will drop it almost 2 lbs I would suspect. As far as the rest of the weight, it will be getting a full XX drivetrain, formula r1 brakes and a few light weight adjustments, I already started tearing it down and recording weights of the stock stuff so I'll post it up when I'm done.

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    going from the pro's wheelset to crest shaves more than a pound. going to crests from those wheels should be almost 2 pounds, if not more!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ok I broke everything down and weighed it, at least for the most part. I didn't feel like taking the fork off so I weighed the Fork/Frame/Headset/BB/Seat collar/Rear Shock remote all together. So here you go.

Fork/Frame/Headset/BB/Seat collar/Rear Shock remote...4370g
    Grips...115g
    Front Brake...285g
    Front Rotor 180mm...133g
    Rear Brake...285g
    Rear Rotor 160mm...90g
    Handle Bars...281g
    Stem...141g
    Front Shifter + Cable...144g
    Rear Shifter + Cable...153g
    Total Cable Housing...70g
    Chain...270g
    Rear Derailleur...229g
    Front Derailleur...150g
    Crank(No BB)...771
    Cassette...348g
    Seat Post...315g
    Seat...267g
    Tubes(X2)...155g Each
    Tires(X2)...530g Each
    Front Wheel(Skewer+Rotor Bolts)...970g
    Rear Wheel(Skewer+Rotor Bolts)...1225g

Total...11982g ( 26.3lbs )

Just to give everyone an idea of where you can loose weight easily. The wheels are an easy spot can almost loose 2lbs just right there with a nice upgrade and going tubeless. Hope this helps.

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wow, thanks! This list will come in very hand for me.

Those wheels are definitely boat anchors. Also can lose close to 100g with foam grips..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ok so I broke it down even further. Fork was 1604g the frame w/ shock/remote/BB is 2450g. What sucks is after weighing everything if everything would hit its claimed weight then this bike would be a pound lighter out of the box. But mostly everything Ive been able to find is over claimed weight!!!

Chris

mtbr member
    Beautiful! I think thats what I'm going to go with. Maybe the Pro version

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Alright the tear down is complete and it's almost all together, just finished for the night thought I would throw up a teaser.

Weighed in at 20.4 lbs, still waiting on a few things

EC90 Seat Post
    Thomson Seat Post Collar
    Thomson Stem
    XX Cassette

This is going to be it's race weight, wheels will come off for regular riding, weight should come in around 21.5 lbs. This beauty lost 5 lbs!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good job Chris, I am liking this bike, I almost pulled the triger on a Spearfish 1 frame but I can't get one now anyways so I'm going to just keep reading stuff like this. I was wanting the Spark Pro because of the rear shock 3 stage that it has, I don't like Shimano to much but I could get this bike and sell the RD,Shifters,and swap out all the xo 9spd stuff from my Mamasita and then slowly get some another Sram xo 9spd RD,Shifters for the Mamasita. I already have two Stans wheelsets 355's and some xt and Sram 990 cassettes here. I also do endurance racing and I think I want two bikes the HT and a light weight FS. wow again! good job! you have me thinking! I also think that Scott bikes has something going with this twinloc thing I like it some people say all the cables bother them as for myself I don't look down there I look out in the front on the front tire..

Also could you keep us posted on how you like the rear shock and how it is on standing climbs.
    Thanks Dino.

Your Best Friend
    Don't forget pedals and a saddle! I'd love to see your final weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man comparing those weights along with my upgraded components. My bike is estimated to weigh in at 20.6 lbs when I get it finished.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ok it's finished for the most part. Don't have a final weight yet because a few things will be changing. Decided to go with a Thomson Masterpiece seat post and I am picking up my XX cassette tomorrow and the rear titanium skewer I got didn't fit. With my heavy pedals as is right now it weighs 22.8lbs. With the other changes and light pedals it should be right around 22.1/22.2. I didn't go super light weight on anything could probably get it close to 21lbs even with a little effort but this is going to be my trail bike, wheels will only go on for races. Now hopefully I can get my RC frame next week and start building that.

And last but not least you cant forget the Mojo!!!

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Why didn't you like the EC90 and if you are selling it pm me and good on the bike.

mtbr member
    sorry, didn't want to jack your thread
    Nice looking build, I almost went the same way but didn't want to hold out for one, they are never in stock!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    wow, that looks pretty hot. i don't even like black and red and i think this is a pretty sexy bike.
    If you have a chiropractic question, don't hesitate to PM me and ask

The best chiropractor in Chesterfield, MO

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks very nice! I think that the 2012 Spark is one of the most good looking bikes this year!

mtbr member
    Nice transformation & thanks for documenting the component weights.

Recommend putting in bar plugs though! You don't want your bars to impale you if you crash!
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Curious..what grips are you using. Look real comfortable!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They are the Bontrager RXL Foam grips. I run them on everything now.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by zixxerian View Post
    Curious..what grips are you using. Look real comfortable!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet looking bike!!!!!! I bought a new Spark 29 Pro today. The bike is awesome. It's my first Scott and my first 29er. I hope to get in some great riding tomorrow. I'm running tubeless and with XT pedals the bike weighs around 25.5 pounds. I also bought a Scott Cr1 Pro. I guess I'll have to change my name to "Scottbikedude." I'll post a ride report soon. TB

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Definitely jealous. Wish I had to loot to get one too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very nice!