mtbr member
    Nov 2013

More travel for a genius 29

I am planning to replace my fork and I want something with more travel. I was thinking in a rock shock pike 140-150mm or fox but I am not sure if the bike is going to work well. Pros and cons, Someone has set up a longer fork to a genius? Which size is better 140 o 150? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Im searching for this type of information as well. I have a 2013 Genius 900 frame only. Thinking I will go with the Fox 36 TALAS 29 150 FIT RC2 that has 130 or 150 setting. Not much out there on changing out the standard 32mm Fox fork @ 130MM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

I have spoken to a pro and a mechanic and they told me , there was no trouble the pro strongly recommended the change,(this man is racing the EWS) but I am not sure about it. Even I have sent an email to Scott but they weren't clear on the matter . Let's wait and see

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I ran a Pike 140 on mine and it made for a great all around bike. As long as I ran the same size tires front and rear, I preferred the geometry chip in the low position. I had two Pikes, the first was a 46mm offset, and the second was a 51 mm offset. I strongly recommend the 51 mm offset, it better suited the bike with the extended axle to crown from the stock Fox 130.

Review here:
    Genius 900 SL Custom Review

I miss that bike, I kind of wish I had kept it longer.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Fantastic review brentos. I always go in low position. Just one thing, Did you notice it more difficult climbing and on flat terrain? I like the model with changing travel from 120 to 150 but I don't know if it can be too much travel or an extrem change of the geometry. What do you think about it? Regards

mtbr member
    I built the bike from the frame up, so never ran a Fox 130 on it for comparison.

I didn't have any issues with climbing or flats with this bike. No wandering of the front end. Even rode it to 3rd overall the True Grit NUE endurance race. I will caution that the bike has a looong wheelbase set up this way, and can be a bit uninspiring at lower speeds, there was not a whole lot of playfulness to it. It was plenty fast though, and was stable as can be at fast speeds, descended much faster than any other bike I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    @Brentos: very good Review of your Genius! thx...

But I am planning to replace the Fox Nude 900 190x50 against the Nude 700 with 200x57. Imho the Genius will become nearly 145mm rear travel. Is there anyone who tried this too and can recommend it?

mtbr member
    It's going to sit about 10 mm higher in the rear in the low setting than with the original shock in the high setting...so it'll be pretty steep. You may want to extend your fork to 150mm if you try it. It'll have a high bottom bracket, and may not handle great.

Also check to make sure you will have clearance at the extents of your travel, a good way to do this would be to remove the current shock, reinsert the hardware, then use a calipers to measure out an eye to eye of 200mm...look for clearance issues (the main one will likely be between the swing link and the seat tube). You won't have any clearance issues at bottom out as the new shock would be longer bottomed than the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by psisp View Post
    @Brentos: very good Review of your Genius! thx...

But I am planning to replace the Fox Nude 900 190x50 against the Nude 700 with 200x57. Imho the Genius will become nearly 145mm rear travel. Is there anyone who tried this too and can recommend it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi Brentos: Thanks for your very Reply!

I changed today the Rear Shock and also the Fork with 160mm Travel, maybe a 150mm Talas 36 will be more suitable for the Genius. I will take a test for a few Rides and will reply