mtbr member
    Dec 2007

More on my Genius LT

I posted a few days ago on my initial impressions of the bike which were very positive. I spent more time on the suspension, and more time in the saddle and have to say I am very impressed with this rig.

By reducing the front shock pressure to the point where I can get full travel in 7" mode I have a bike that is the most solid handling ride in the roughest terrain than any other bike I have ridden. It is amazing having 7" of travel to eat up roots, rocks, and large baby heads. For super rough rides, I would take this bike over the S-Works Enduro.

The downside is that in order to get balanced suspension in 7" mode the front shock goes quickly through its travel in 5" mode. By this I mean that if you will likely need to have 30% sag to get full travel in 7" mode. With this much sag, your ride in 5" mode is not that plush.

For a ride that is really quite hard with significant jumps, drops, and basic trail misery, go with 30% sag and you will be happy.

That out of the way, I spent four hours on the bike today and climbed over 5700 feet. It was a great ride. The bike's lack of noise is remarkable. (Although with the suspension locked out on a 45 minute dusty climb it started to chirp - opening up the sus fixed the chirp).

The bike is easy to get in the air, brakes are amazing, and in general goes where you want it to.

Having ridden it for ten hours now in total, I can't say enough positive things. To be fair, here are the three negatives:
    1. The weight: this bike is 28 pounds. Unless you want to drop a few grand on carbon wheels, there is no way to make it lighter.
    2. You have to stay seated on climbs. As compared to the S-Works Enduro, this bike doesn't hook up if you stand up on loose climbs.
    3. Having to run 30% sag to get full tavel in 7" mode degrades the bikes 5" mode.

All in all I am very happy with this ride and look forward to beating the daylights of this ride on some very rough terrain in the near future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Great review....I really wanted (but the 710 maybe) this bike but had to decide on getting a bike or start my MBA study so I had to upgrade my genius.

Hope I can get it for 2015 and I would love a Pike 170mm fork and a fox float X on this bike it would be a beast just my opinion.

Enjoy that bike, have you taken any video on the trail??

Regards, keep ripping that bike....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    hi,

finding my "regular" Genius too sticky to the ground,
    if just won't jump,
    I'm really wondering how you compare the LT to other bikes on that point: does it really get airborne easily?

for Enduro (for the US: super-D) I use a Cube Stereo and have ordered a Kona Process
    but my "preferred brand" is Scott, so I'd like a 2015 LT IF IT JUMPS more eagerly than my Genius
    (raced a 700SL in the BCBR)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

More on my Genius LT

The other bikes I ride are all 29ers. So that is the comparison. The huge travel on this rig take away most of the mental inhibitions. The travel also aids in preloading.

I can't say how it would compare to a twenty six inch bike.