mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Looking to upgrade my Scale 29er Comp, suggestions?

Hey all, I've been riding the bike in stock form for the last year but am now ready to upgrade a few things.

First off I need a new fork. Bottom'd out this Suntour XCR last ride and threw myself over the bars cracking a few ribs. I'm new to this though. What's up with the different tube tapers and different geometries? Even if I found a fork that I like I'm not sure what spec it needs to be to fit my bike? What fork recommendations do you guys have around $350ish for an aggressive xc rider?

I just ordered a set of wellgo mg-1's and am looking in to converting to a single front derailleur.

Also, are there any budget friendly things I can do to put my bike on a diet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Your Best Friend
    Without looking at it (and I don't know your models specs), I can't tell you if you need a tapered or straight steerer tube fork. Figure that out and that is all you really need to know. I'd recommend finding a used Reba (09 or newer) to throw on there.

After that, bang for your buck in both performance and weight improvement...get some new wheels.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye out for a used Reba.

Any recommendations on a decent wheelset?

mtbr member
    I think the best bang for the buck wheelset in 29er format right now is the Blag Flag by Sun Ringle. You of course can't go wrong w/ Stans no tubes or American Classics either.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Aluminum Scale 29ers have a standard 1 1/8 headtube. A tapered head tube means it's 1 1/8 at the top and 1.5 in at the bottom.

I have a Scale 29 Team, which came with a Rockshox Tora TK 29 fork. If you aren't concerned about weight, I think this would be an ideal fork for you. It's coil, not air, sprung, so it is a little heavier but has a good feel. They aren't expensive either. I'm probably going to replace mine with a Reba though, since that drops about 1.5 lbs. IMO coil forks feel nicer than air forks.

I just converted to tubeless using Stan's. It was pretty easy even with regular rocket rons (not tubeless compatible) and I had never done the conversion before. That might cut a little weight but it'll make the bike feel faster from less rotating weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a scale comp with a marzocchi 44 on it. the cheap version is 389.99 new and has adjustable travel from 100mm to 140mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got the same bike and just started to do some upgrades. I was going to trade it in on a '12 Elite, but I've grown to kind of like the red and thought it might be more fun to upgrade piece by piece.

I just ordered a '12 Rockshox Recon Gold TK. It was $382 shipped which I thought was a pretty good deal from what I could tell. People seem to like the fork for the money. I got rid of the front derailleur and shifter tonight and when I get a chance I will remove the big and little cogs and run the front 32t with the 11-32 in the rear. I upgraded the seat last year and just scored a Thomson post on EBay pretty cheap. I'm torn whether or not to upgrade to 1x10 right away or ride the 1x9 for now as it is...

What can a guy spend on a decent set of wheels?

Your Best Friend
    How heavy are you?

Stans NoTubes wheels are popular and very reliable and most can be had for about $550. American Classic wheels are also nice and the different styles run between $500 and $1000.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 6'4" and 215'ish. I've heard good things about the Stan's wheelsets. What's the most expensive part of the wheel? There are a couple of sets of rims on eBay, is the hub the part that kills your pocket book?
    Last edited by Once Bitten; 04-04-2012 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Get rid of the awful seat. I traded mine for a Speed V.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    I'm 6'4" and 215'ish. I've heard good things about the Stan's wheelsets. What's the most expensive part of the wheel? There are a couple of sets of rims on eBay, is the hub the part that kills your pocket book?
    Rims can be found for +-$100 easily. The hubs run from $150-$350. Each.

At your weight I'd still highly recommend the AC All Mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hello guys..
    I am also trying to upgrade the fork on my scale comp 29 ... Any suggestions ? My budget is 200-300
    I ride Miami single tracks... My bike came with a rockshox xc28 but so far it feels like it needs an upgrade