Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Joining the Scott family - new Ransom 20

After a fair bit of consideration around a sturdier, longer travel bike I took the plunge on a 2008 Scott Ransom 20. It will be stock, except that I'm swaping the fork for a RockShox Lyrik 2-step based on the horrible reviews the stock Marzocchi 55 ATA2 gets.

Thought I might pull on the collective wisdom of other Ransom owners about any common issues, adjustments, etc that I might want be on aware of given this is my first experience with both this model and brand?

Thanks in advance!

Karl

mtbr member
    Welcome and you must be lying as I see no photos of the new ride

The 55 on them work OK but if you ride it hard you will see the flaws quickly so good idea to swap it out.

Nice bike, I have had my Ransom for about 1 1/2years now and have no issues with the frame or shock. I have mine set up as more a lt freeride/lt dh bike/heavy AM bike and it still climbs great, weighs in at a svelt 35lbs

Some things I was told by a major Scott dealer here in the States and some observations ...

1)When switching between the travel setting try and lighten the rear a bit, slightly lift the rear tire or put your weight over the front as much as possible. It takes the strain off the pins that control the travel and I have heard/seen a few riders who have had to send there shocks back for repairs because they had their full weight on the saddle when switching modes.

2) DO NOT JUMP OR DO DROPS in any setting other then the 6" mode. If you are locked out or in the 3" mode you will Fck the shock up if you hit hard enough. The shock does have a blow-by circuit (not sure what Scott calls it) that will allow the shock to move a bit more then what it is set at but a good hit WILL wreck it in the shorter settings. I use mine for some light DH and in the long travel mode it works great.

2a)When locked out or in the 3" mode you may hear a quick "hiss/pop" sound from the shock when you hit a small rock or lip, that is just the bow-by.

3)When adding air besure you are in the longe travel mode, put about 125psi in both chambers. Then adjust the sag to your liking using the positive chamber and then put about 20psi less in the negitive. Example; If you runn 200 in the positive then put 180 in the negitive. Other wise it feels like a pogo stick even with the rebound cranked. Just my preferances though.

4)Locked out will have you sitting over the bars like a XC bike, 3" mode is more of an Am rig and the 6" mode slacks the bike out enough that it feels like a full on dh rig. I tend to never use the 3" mode as I am either climbing or descending.

Enjoy

Thanks for those tips, much appreciated! No pictures of the bike yet as I'm having it shipped from a dealer out of town, should have it in a few days if all goes well. I'll probably make some additional changes once I receive it. I'm not a fan of trigger shifters so will change those to grip shift... pedals probably change to M545s... brakes... hmmm... Juicy 5s seem to get OK reviews but I have a line of Elixir Rs so might change them out too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalDBD
    Welcome and you must be lying as I see no photos of the new ride

The 55 on them work OK but if you ride it hard you will see the flaws quickly so good idea to swap it out.

Nice bike, I have had my Ransom for about 1 1/2years now and have no issues with the frame or shock. I have mine set up as more a lt freeride/lt dh bike/heavy AM bike and it still climbs great, weighs in at a svelt 35lbs

Some things I was told by a major Scott dealer here in the States and some observations ...

1)When switching between the travel setting try and lighten the rear a bit, slightly lift the rear tire or put your weight over the front as much as possible. It takes the strain off the pins that control the travel and I have heard/seen a few riders who have had to send there shocks back for repairs because they had their full weight on the saddle when switching modes.

2) DO NOT JUMP OR DO DROPS in any setting other then the 6" mode. If you are locked out or in the 3" mode you will Fck the shock up if you hit hard enough. The shock does have a blow-by circuit (not sure what Scott calls it) that will allow the shock to move a bit more then what it is set at but a good hit WILL wreck it in the shorter settings. I use mine for some light DH and in the long travel mode it works great.

2a)When locked out or in the 3" mode you may hear a quick "hiss/pop" sound from the shock when you hit a small rock or lip, that is just the bow-by.

3)When adding air besure you are in the longe travel mode, put about 125psi in both chambers. Then adjust the sag to your liking using the positive chamber and then put about 20psi less in the negitive. Example; If you runn 200 in the positive then put 180 in the negitive. Other wise it feels like a pogo stick even with the rebound cranked. Just my preferances though.

4)Locked out will have you sitting over the bars like a XC bike, 3" mode is more of an Am rig and the 6" mode slacks the bike out enough that it feels like a full on dh rig. I tend to never use the 3" mode as I am either climbing or descending.

Enjoy

I wouldn't worry about any of these cautions except for the inflation guidelines which are correct - when inflating the shock make sure both chambers are open (ie lever switched to fully open) for obvious reasons.

I switch my lever back and forth all the time without lifting up or de-weighting the rear wheel without any problems. I have also landed some big jumps in the 3" mode without any issues. It's a great shock and if you do have any issues Scott will back you up.

I'm going on 3 years now on mine. Love it! So versatile.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 03-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.

I made a few changes to the build. Since I ride SRAM grip shift, I swapped out the X.7 triggers and upgraded to X.0 rear and XTR front derailleur with an 8 speed XTR cassette. Also changed out the Avid Juicy 5s for Elixir Rs and the wheelset is now Easton AM Havoc. The shop swapped the Marzocchi 55ATA2 fork for a Lyrik 2 step.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Your Ransom looks great!

And your choice of upgrades is top notch, too

Don't forget to post your impressions of how she rides..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great choice of bike, welcome to the SCOTT family! I've ridden the Ransom a feww times, never owned one, but loved it when I rode. I went on a 6 hour, 70 mile, 1/2 pave, 1/2 dirt ride that had a bunch of single track climbing. The pave was ok in lock out, the climbs were surprisingly easy, and when we pointed the bikes down hill, it was STELLAR! Have fun!

mtbr member
    great looking bike how much does it weigh?

mtbr member
    Great looking bike! I bought a used 2006 Ransom 40 as a starter DH bike last summer. I've set it up more AM right now so I can ride XC on it this Spring to get in shape. Mine probably weighs 34-35 pounds as built with a pair of 2.4" Maxxis Advantage tires and ATAC-Z pedals. For DH I slap a set of wire bead Kenda Excavators on it and some platforms and it balloons close to 37lbs!

For a heavy bike it pedals very easy and in the 3" traction mode it climbs great. With a good set of tires it generates loads of uphill traction. Set the shock for 6" travel and it just eats up technical terrain. When I'm riding XC it can handle just about any line through technical terrain no problem. I love the adjustability and so far the equalizer shock is working as advertised!

Here's a picture of mine.

Repo