mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Information on an 06 Ransom 40

Reliable? Specs? I have an opportunity to buy a demo from a local lbs. for a very very nice price

so, ive read some horror stories and some great things. I am looking for an all mountain ride that can handle the rocks, roots, and bottom bracket swallowing mud. Im looking for something that can handle the downs, an occasional FR skills class, and pedal up to the top in order to cruise back down. the trails i ride are technical mid atlantic area ones in wva and va.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    no one?

mtbr member
    I have a ransom 10 which is carbon. I think it's an awsome all-mountain bike. For bike specs check out bikepedia.com and go to complete bikes and then you can choose years and models from all years.

The ransom can handle it all but it's not for weight weenies. Mine is 31 lbs . I think the 40 is a couple of pounds more than that but they climb so well it feels much lighter.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Wonder if you ever bought that Ransom? I bought a 2006 Ransom 40 used last year specifically for WVA trails and some entry-level DH at Timberline and Wisp. It's quite a bike - really a bit of a beast. The Ransom basically devours technical terrain. I've never ridden anything quite like it. I swapped the crappy Scott tires for a set of fat Kenda's Excavators and have hit Plantation and Big Bear. I've never put it on a scale, but I believe mine weighs in around 32-34 pounds. It does climb pretty well - but not so great with sudden downhill to steep uphill transitions. That's when I really feel the weight. Spend a lot of time using the granny gear on this bike. I've recently changed out my DH tires for a pair of Maxxis Advantage 2.4s. I plan to be hitting the rock-fests in Davis for some XC action until the lifts at Timberline startup again in May. Here's a blog I wrote last summer about a ride down Plantation with my Ransom: http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/blog.php?b=247#comment704

Repo

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry, I've been neglecting my identity...
    Did you end up buying the Ransom demo????