mtbr member
    Feb 2012

I'm looking at a Scale 29'er, is the Expert worth $850 more then the Elite?

I'm trying to narrow down my choices. The Expert busts the budget, but is not impossible. But is it worth $850'ish more then the Elite? I love the look, and like the XT crank, but forks look to be the same, and it's difficult to tell how much difference there is in the wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you go with the Expert, you'll be glad you did over time. I bought one last November and have built it up into a 21 pound cross country bike. I've been very pleased with the bike. Light but solid carbon frame, can't go wrong with the price either. Just do it. Eat ramen noodles and drink Budweiser for a month, you'll lose weight and have a nicer bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I second that - it is exactly what I did.

Tortured myself over the Elite and wondering whether to stretch to the extra. I rode them both side by side and decision was obvious.

Over time, you won't regret it. I kept mine stock for now except for my XT pedals and a bottle cage.

Loving it!

aw fiddlestix
    If you can honestly afford it, I say the carbon frame alone is worth the upgrade, better components are a nice bonus as well.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In terms of components it's almost identical. The drivetrain is the same except for the XT crank on the Expert, the wheels DT Swiss as opposed to the Alex and the saddle is the Selle Italia instead of Scott brand.

I really think you'll enjoy the ride quality of the carbon over the aluminum. Also the weight difference was like 2 lbs.

DaFaJa
    I was in the same boat, I was going to get the elite, But after looking @ all the up's I wanted to do, I sprung for the expert...Happy I did

mtbr member
    I just bought the Elite. I was going through the same process. I first started looking at the Team, then the Elite and my LBS had the Expert too. I couldn't justify the extra money for the carbon frame. I have been very happy with the Elite. Besides, I'm not a little guy, 6 ft tall ~235 lbs, I feel much better with the aluminum frame and feel that long term it will handle my weight better.

my .02

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by jtemple42000 View Post
    I just bought the Elite. I was going through the same process. I first started looking at the Team, then the Elite and my LBS had the Expert too. I couldn't justify the extra money for the carbon frame. I have been very happy with the Elite. Besides, I'm not a little guy, 6 ft tall ~235 lbs, I feel much better with the aluminum frame and feel that long term it will handle my weight better.

my .02
    Both are great bikes, I have a friend who is going to get the elite after riding mine...its more in his budget...I am sure I would have been happy with the elite as well.I was able to get the carbon when it was on sale 20% off plus got a $122 gift card...
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA