mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Help w- 2015 Spark frame size question

Iam new to full suspention mountain bikes . I have the chance to purchase a new 2015 Scott Spark 730 for 3000. This is my question the guy at the shop can only get it in a small frame . There are none at the shop I can try . I'm 5'9 170 the guy at the shop told me they run kind of big and a small would be alright for me . I think it's a great price and I wouldn't mind the extra clearance . Any help and imput would be greatly apriciated . Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 5'9 and I wouldn't ride a small.

Check out the size chart here:

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/...park-710-Bike/

Chart here:
    https://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net...original_1.jpg

69" = 175cm which puts you smack dab in the middle (and slightly to the right really) of a M size.

I ride a M spark 29er and it fits perfectly.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If it doesn't fit right, it isn't worth it. I doubt you'll ever be happy on it if it's wrong...

I know this cuz my first mtb a Spec' Hardrock 26er was a frame size too small, never felt comfy on it.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    That's what I thought , I was just hoping I might be able to fit it because it was such a good price . This is my first full suspention bike and I would really like a carbon bike but my limit is $3000. + Mabey 3300. A carbon bike is really hard to do at that price range .

mtbr member
    Nope. I'm also 5'9" and am squarely on a medium Spark. Wait until fall and see if you can find a demo. That's how I got my 920 for less than $3k.

mtbr member
    I'd also think about finding a new shop if he was trying to sell a bike so hard he'd put you on one that doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm 5'5, I ride a 2015 740 (same geometry) S size frame and it fits me perfectly. I also got a chance to ride the M size back when I was testing out the bikes. All I can say is that while the bigger M frame didn't hinder my abilities as much as I thought, I would definitely have to be taller in order to handle it correctly.

A lot of emphasis on that last thought.

Also, a friend of your similar height did a quick test ride with my bike and complained about top tube length making the cockpit crowded "towards" the rider, something a longer stem length might not necessarily fix. All in all, I can say that the S size is a tad bigger than most merely because of the 27.5" wheels, but nowhere near suitable for a rider of your height.

That being said, if you can get your hands on an M size 730 carbon frame don't look back! The 740 I ride bike is terribly well balanced for an aluminum frame, (rather heavy weighing in at 28lbs. without pedals) and a tremendously capable machine. I come from a hard tail background, (used to own a 2005 Scale) and just recently bought the Spark because I was hoping the "Nude" shock had evolved to be gnarly and reliable enough to handle more than it's oddball predecessor made by DT Swiss that powered the early Genius line of bikes and a few Sparks. This setup of Fox fork and rear shock is near flawless (sometimes I dream about low speed compression haha). 120mm of travel front and rear is really something man. Learn to ride it in XC and it will not disappoint, the Spark is a warrior; lower your seat and learn proper descending skills/tecnique and the spark gives back so much more than you would expect from it to the point where overconfidence kicks in and it still won't betray you. One thing to point out is that the 740 frame has better components than the 730 (2x10 transmission and everything is XT except front derrailleur/shifters which are SLX and the brake set/hubs are regular old Deore with a few good surprises left in them). I was going for the 730 I had been driven mad by carbon, but I got a "better" component set by bumping down to an aluminum model and I regret NOTHING.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You definitely need a medium. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and ride a medium Spark 910.

Old Fart Swamper
    I'm 5'11" 170 lbs, 32" Inseam and fit a Large perfectly, test rode an XL and could have made that work for me,,,
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi Osco, is that 27er or 29er?

I'm looking to get myself a Scott Spark 720 ... my Genius 60 '2010 is really a bit too "all mountain" for the tricky trails that I find myself riding most of the time around these parts.

Do you get a lot of pedal strikes with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    I'm 5'11" 170 lbs, 32" Inseam and fit a Large perfectly, test rode an XL and could have made that work for me,,,

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    bump

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by adamcrookedsmile View Post
    Hi Osco, is that 27er or 29er?

I'm looking to get myself a Scott Spark 720 ... my Genius 60 '2010 is really a bit too "all mountain" for the tricky trails that I find myself riding most of the time around these parts. Do you get a lot of pedal strikes with it?
    Mine is the 760 a 27.5.

Pedal strikes,, sure, every time a screw up :P

Pedal placement and timing is a skill, I am doing well at It as long as I pay attention.
    Never hit a chain ring yet.
    On Shimano Deore XT mountain pedals, they have no damage so far...

Help w- 2015 Spark frame size question-img_20150627_072304_177.jpg

Lost the dropper, Stripped to a 1X9 and love it :P
    I got a 28 pound bike now and I can feel It..

Old Fart Swamper
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcrookedsmile
    hi, I have a question for you
    If you have a minute I would be grateful for any pointers
    Adam, I updated In the thread :P

Pointers ? for this bike ?

Watch the neck, the head set on mine shipped with no grease, any play at all is very bad. I had to rough It up so the stem would clamp and hold better.
    SEE a bike shop IF you don't know how to set up a head set,,too tight is just as bad as loose, VERY critical here.