mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Help me feel better about this impluse buy. Thanks

I just bought this for 900:

Scott Scale 70 29er XTR XT Disc Brakes 26er Rigid Carbon Fork Carbon Bars XLNT | eBay

I've only ever owned GT hardtails, and wanted to get into something newer than my 96 Ricochet. I'm looking to you guys who know the Scott line better than I do to help me figure out whether or not I got ripped off.

I'm mostly a singletack/trail rider, and I'm afraid of a couple of things:

1. I think that I paid too much for this bike. The XT/XTR drivetrain is beautiful but the frame and the rest of the components have to be awful close to new in order to make it worth the money.

2. What's up with the spelling of SCLAE on the top tube. Really, WTF?

If I decide to keep it, my plan is to upgrade the fork and get a nice 29" wheelset. Other wise, I'l strip it down to the frame and use the components to build up a 98 Zaskar frame that I'v been trying to build up for a while...

Did I just waste a bunch of cash?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, I think that is a counterfeit frame. The Scale has always been spelled right AFAIK. Also, road pedals?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It doesn't look right to me, but im far from an expert. I did a quick google search and it doesn't look like scott ever made a 2011 "scale 70" in a 29. Its available all over as a 26, white in color, not black.

It looks like there is a 2011 scale comp, in 29. That is red in color.

good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That is 100% a fake - having owned quite a few of these from 2009 I can tell you there is no way that is a genuine Scott frame. You got done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kojarena View Post
    That is 100% a fake - having owned quite a few of these from 2009 I can tell you there is no way that is a genuine Scott frame. You got done.
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I guess that we'll see how good the Ebay buyer protection program is...

I'll keep you guys posted and let you know. Thanks for chiming in.

mtbr member
    That bike/frame definitely isnt on Bikepedia, so that may be a problem. Also, i am almost positive that is a 26" wheeled frame that the seller installed 700c wheels on. Some 26" mountain bikes can take 700c wheels with low profile road/hybrid tires, but i seriously doubt that frame can take 29er wheels AND tires.

I would guess the seller bought at least that frame and fork on ebay, and he may or may not be aware of it's authenticity.

mtbr member
    That bar may also be a counterfeit. I bought one and then read about all the FSA clones being sold cheap on eBay. I had a feeling it was too good to be true but bought one anyway and now it's on my wall. Definitely not going to trust it with the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That sucks. Yeah it's definitely a fake. Scott Scales are expensive especially the carbon fiber versions. No Scott Scale comes with a rigid fork, unless the original owner swapped it out for one. Ebay will pay you back your money but it's going to take a while so be patient and good luck!

Also, remember to give the person who sold you the bike a negative review.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    That sucks. Yeah it's definitely a fake. Scott Scales are expensive especially the carbon fiber versions. No Scott Scale comes with a rigid fork, unless the original owner swapped it out for one. Ebay will pay you back your money but it's going to take a while so be patient and good luck!

Also, remember to give the person who sold you the bike a negative review.
    The seller claims that he bought the frame overseas and built it up himself. That explains the rigid fork. I received the bike yesterday and I'm running the serial number through Scott Sports to see if anything comes up.

Anyone here crack the code to these Scott serial numbers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhamm View Post
    The seller claims that he bought the frame overseas and built it up himself. That explains the rigid fork. I received the bike yesterday and I'm running the serial number through Scott Sports to see if anything comes up.

Anyone here crack the code to these Scott serial numbers?
    It's not only the frame that is wrong. The shimano XTR gears are also not real. They are some cheap stuff.

I would definitely contact ebay and try to get your money back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    The shimano XTR gears are also not real.
    Idk about that, but it doesnt much matter b/c there are enough reason previously mentioned to claim false advertising;
    - counterfeit frame
    - advertised as "29er", NOT a 29er (has improper wheels installed)

There are some decent parts on in the mix... but not $900 worth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to give you guys an update.

Thanks for everyone who took a look and weighed in. In retrospect, it was pretty simple to figure out that this was a fake and I never should have made an offer to begin with.

I took up a buyer protection case and got a full refund short of the cost for me to ship the bike back to the seller.

In order to do this, I needed to get an assist from the product folks at Scott. I cannot say enough good things about their customer service. They were very responsive and accommodating even though I was not a Scott customer. Kudos to them.

I learned a valuable lesson.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhamm View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to give you guys an update.

Thanks for everyone who took a look and weighed in. In retrospect, it was pretty simple to figure out that this was a fake and I never should have made an offer to begin with.

I took up a buyer protection case and got a full refund short of the cost for me to ship the bike back to the seller.

In order to do this, I needed to get an assist from the product folks at Scott. I cannot say enough good things about their customer service. They were very responsive and accommodating even though I was not a Scott customer. Kudos to them.

I learned a valuable lesson.
    Thank goodness!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Glad it turned out ok! What are you gonna do with the fake bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Glad it turned out ok! What are you gonna do with the fake bike?
    I returned it to the seller. I take a look from time to time to see if it ends up back on Ebay...

mtbr member
    That seller should be banned from ebay if he knew what he was selling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    They really want you to return it and not destroy it? Do you live in China?

Redcoat
    ahhhhhh this was the trhead!

here's a post that i started regarding this:
    Scott frames from China - fake or real?