Thread: going tubeless

mtbr member

going tubeless

I have a scale elite 29 Wana go tubeless dt swiss 485d rims are supposed to be tubeless ready,can anyone tell me what steps are needed to make this transition Thxs

mtbr member
    I am interested in this also. I just picked up my Elite last week. Love the bike so far but want to run a little lower pressures in the tires for even better traction.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Don't know my DT swiss rims model numbers that well, but.....on my 2010 Scott Scale 29'er (equivalent of this year's Elite) I used a Stan's conversion kit which included the rimstrips with built-in valvestems. The Schwalbes that came on the bike were very easy to air up and I could run 25 lbs comfortably.
    This year I got the RC and although it came with tubes in it, there was also a pair of screw in valvestems included. All I needed was to put those on the rims, add Stan's fluid, and air them up.

mtbr member
    Thxs

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Tubeless

To convert my 29er Elite I swapped the Rocket Ron to Racing Ralph EVO due to thicker sidewalls and the Rocket Ron's already had sidewall damage. Also recommend going with separate rim strip and stem system (bontrager, etc). If you ever need to put in a tube because of a sidewall slice you won't have to remove the existing rim strip and the stem. All you need to do is pull out the stem and throw it in your pocket. With one piece rim strip/stem's you will have to pull the rim strip/stem combo. I used quality electrical tape and wrapped around each wheel twice to cover the spoke holes (probably wasn't needed) Then put in the rim strip. Used a home brew mix of slime, mounted per Stan's website using compressor and haven't had to add any air in 8 weeks and about 10 rides totalling about 140 miles. The existing DT swiss 485D's are equivalent to DT Swiss X470 29er wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

485d tubless using Velotape

Quote Originally Posted by rocksolid View Post
    I have a scale elite 29 Wana go tubeless dt swiss 485d rims are supposed to be tubeless ready,can anyone tell me what steps are needed to make this transition Thxs
    Just bought a Scott Scale 29er pro with 485d rims. Took out the tubes, removed the existing green tape from the factory. Then purchased some "Velotape P35" rim tape with valve stems and pumped up with some stans - floor pump. Very easy and the Rocket Rons that came standard locked onto the rims just nicely (got that nice "snapping" sound that gives you some confidence that it isnt going to roll off on the first corner!)

Cost me about $40 Aussie. Much lighter and cheaper than going the full stans kit.

Ryan.

mtbr member
    When my bike gets here I might try the DT swiss kit. Looks light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

I'm confused, are they tubeless compatible?

So it is quite confusing, I bought a Rocky Mountain Vertex 950 recently and on Evans Cycles site, it states these wheels are tubeless compatible?

"Rims: DT Swiss 485D 29" Tubeless Compatible"

So is this extra work required to use tubless tyres? Is a tubless conversion kit required for these wheels?

Thanks in advance