mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Genius LT 700 First Ride Impressions

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This is easily the quietest bike I have ever ridden, by not even close. The thought that went into the design is really quite good - the cable routing is excellent. Unlike my Niner Jet 9 RDO there is zero internal cable slap. There is also almost no chance for the cables to rub against the frame as the cable ends are intelligently designed.

The only downside, if you can call it a downside, is that the XO1, XTR, Reverb concoction does not play well. I move the reverb to the left side and whamo, problem solved. It worked so well I am going to run all my right hand Reverb setups under the handlebar on the left side.

OK - other thoughts: Tubeless is a snap - fastest tubeless conversion ever, and the Schwalbes are definitely heavy duty. Seat is surprisingly light and comfortable. I chose to run my lockout cable for the front fork in front of the head tube - just seemed a better cable run. But all in all this bike went together very easily. Nothing was difficult.

So out on the trail: things that I notice: no noise. It is amazing, but this bike is just quiet. Climbing: Scott has terrible marketing because the lock out shifter is amazing. I did a 1000 foot climb. Locked out the fork and shock. It was terrific. Climbed very well. The large tires hooked up every time I got out of the saddle. It was truly remarkable. I thought this was a gimmick but I found myself shifting the suspension with remarkable frequency.

Descending: Felt pretty good. The rear seemed bottomless, the front end was stiff. Unfortunately I did not have the air pressure set correctly because while I probably used 95% of the rear travel, I used only 80% of the forks travel. I need to lower the pressure and get out again.

If you are interested this bike you know it has three modes: locked out, 5" and 7". Not surprisingly, given the over pressure in my fork, the 5" set up felt very balanced. More surprising was the lack of noticeable bob in 5" mode when climbing. Really, really good.

In the tight stuff the limit on this machine is the pilot. It descended very well. The day before I rode the same course on an S-Works 29er Enduro. I had virtually the same time on the Genius LT. I would say the Enduro was smoother, but there i had the Suspension dialed. Once I get the suspension dialed on this I expect that it will be equally as smooth.

Closing thoughts: I can't tell the difference between XO1 or XX1. The black cassette on the XO1 looks great. XTR trail brakes are amazing. And I can't believe that Scott put aluminum cranks on this bike. They work fine, and you can't tell when riding. But half of this bike is appearances - which are very good - and putting some POS crank on it is just a shame.

All in all I was extremely happy with this ride. Can't wait to get the sus dialed and take it out again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice write-up. I'm pretty much a pure XC guy, but if money were no object and I lived closer to ski resorts, I'd have one of these in the quiver, though the Genius LT 710 would more than suffice.

Interesting comment about the quietness. I rode a first generation Spark carbon that I borrowed years ago, and nary a squeak or creak to be heard. It was almost eerie. Ditto for their carbon road bikes.

Looking forward to updates when you have both ends dialed-in and more miles in, post-honeymoon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Nice review enjoy the bike.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes. Nice review.

I was thinking to buy the previus version of the LT with the equalizer rear shock but I didn't want to be limited by it since there are no after market options available if something goes wrong. The new model not only looks great but also doesn't have a proprietary shock. OK twinlock could be considered as proprietary but if necessary you can live without it.

The only problem now is the high price and the fact that I just bought a Reign SX but who knows what will happen in the future?

Anyway. Nice bike. Enjoy!