Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Genius 900 Series Thread

The bike shop I work at picked up Scott bikes a little over 6 months ago. At first I was very interested in the Genius 700 bikes. I have been on a SC Tallboy the past year and have loved it. I was pretty hooked on the 29ers and started thinking about the Genius 900. The geometry seems right for what I wanted in my next bike. So I sold the Tallboy and decided to build up the 900 SL. I built it up with Fox 34 Float remote, XX1 drivetrain, XTR trail brakes, ENVE AM wheels, KS Lev, etc. I went with the 28 t front ring since I am a big boy and not the best climber. It weights 26.3 lbs with pedals. First ride was yesterday, and I love it. It climbs great, and descends even better. It is just a fun bike. I can't wait for the next ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Genius 900 Series Thread-image.jpg  

Genius 900 Series Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice looking build.
    I'm looking into getting a 900 SL frameset. If you don't mind me asking, what size frame did you get, and how tall are you? I'm between a Large and X-Large and wonder if you find the frame feeling true to size.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TJohnson View Post
    Nice looking build.
    I'm looking into getting a 900 SL frameset. If you don't mind me asking, what size frame did you get, and how tall are you? I'm between a Large and X-Large and wonder if you find the frame feeling true to size.
    Thanks.
    I am 6'1" and got a Large frame. I have mostly been on Santa Cruz bikes and the Scott feels about the same to me as far as sizing goes. I slide my seats back on the rails, and use a 70mm stem with 720mm wide bars. The cockpit is a little on the smaller side which is how I like it. I hope that helps you. I took some better pics today and will post them later. Hope someone else posts up some pics of their 900's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just bought a Genuis 900 SL frame. It should be arriving in a few days, Just wondering what parts come with the frame from the fabric; I'm particularly interested in the Twinloc, chain-blocker and ISCG Mounts. I'm building the bike myself with XTR kit. Are there any additional parts that I need to consider? (besides the stem, fork, bar and wheels)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hvmathews View Post
    I just bought a Genuis 900 SL frame. It should be arriving in a few days, Just wondering what parts come with the frame from the fabric; I'm particularly interested in the Twinloc, chain-blocker and ISCG Mounts. I'm building the bike myself with XTR kit. Are there any additional parts that I need to consider? (besides the stem, fork, bar and wheels)
    My 900 SL frame came with the Twinloc set up, the chain blocker, ISCG mounts, and the Ritchey Pro Headset w/carbon steerer tube spacers. I only thing specific that I can think of that you will need other than the obvious is the BB92 bottom bracket for the crank you are using. I am really not a fan of the press in bottom brackets. My 900 is already creaking at the BB. They either need to make a way to keep the creaking away with the press fit BB's or stick with standard threaded BB's. If anyone knows any tricks to get the creaking away please let me know. Here are a few more pics of my bike. I absolutely love this bike other than the creaky BB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Genius 900 Series Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by neblackb View Post
    My 900 SL frame came with the Twinloc set up, the chain blocker, ISCG mounts, and the Ritchey Pro Headset w/carbon steerer tube spacers. I only thing specific that I can think of that you will need other than the obvious is the BB92 bottom bracket for the crank you are using. I am really not a fan of the press in bottom brackets. My 900 is already creaking at the BB. They either need to make a way to keep the creaking away with the press fit BB's or stick with standard threaded BB's. If anyone knows any tricks to get the creaking away please let me know. Here are a few more pics of my bike. I absolutely love this bike other than the creaky BB.
    Thanks for the info. Did you get a 120 or 140 Fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will use a Chrisking BB I will let you know that creaks or not.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I went with the Fox 34 Float Remote 140. I had Fox send a spacer with the fork, and I spaced it down to 130. It feels really good and is stiff. I think the rear is a little stiff, but I just need to play with it.

So you say your going with a King BB? I did not know that they make a Press fit GXP BB. I will have to look into that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went with the Fox 34 Float Remote 140. I had Fox send a spacer with the fork, and I spaced it down to 130. It feels really good and is stiff. I think the rear is a little stiff, but I just need to play with it.

So you say your going with a King BB? I did not know that they make a Press fit GXP BB. I will have to look into that one.
    I assume this is Press Fit Bottom Brackets | Chris King Precision Components going to work, they just launched.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I assume this is Press Fit Bottom Brackets | Chris King Precision Components going to work, they just launched.
    Yes, those will work. I saw the press release for the BB30, but I did not know that they were doing a 24mm Pressfit BB as well. That is awesome.

The good news for me is that it was not my BB that was creaking. My rear axle was not tight enough. Good thing the manager at my bike shop is a Bicycle Wizard. Since my Truvativ BB is doing fine, I will wait until it craps until I go with the King BB.

hvmathews- When do you plan on having your bike ready?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, those will work. I saw the press release for the BB30, but I did not know that they were doing a 24mm Pressfit BB as well. That is awesome.

The good news for me is that it was not my BB that was creaking. My rear axle was not tight enough. Good thing the manager at my bike shop is a Bicycle Wizard. Since my Truvativ BB is doing fine, I will wait until it craps until I go with the King BB.

hvmathews- When do you plan on having your bike ready?
    The frame should be arriving tomorrow. I have not decided which wheels I will get. Iím between I9 Torch Trail but they donít have the 142x12 end caps available yet. Next on the list are the DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline, but the engagement degree is 10 degrees, last on the list is Mavic Crossmax ST, but they seems to be Flexible. I have them on my Genuis 26Ē and I like them. Other than that I hope in 2 or 3 weeks. Any recommendations for the wheels will be nice, so I make up my mind faster.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The frame should be arriving tomorrow. I have not decided which wheels I will get. Iím between I9 Torch Trail but they donít have the 142x12 end caps available yet. Next on the list are the DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline, but the engagement degree is 10 degrees, last on the list is Mavic Crossmax ST, but they seems to be Flexible. I have them on my Genuis 26Ē and I like them. Other than that I hope in 2 or 3 weeks. Any recommendations for the wheels will be nice, so I make up my mind faster.
    If you have the money then throw down on a set of Enve AM wheels. I love mine, and they are super stiff. I also like the Roval Traverse wheelset. They are stiff.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Just picked this up yesterday

2013 Genius 940, while not nearly as impressive as the carbon fiber bikes here, it's my first full suspension bike. Tomorrow, I take it on it's shakedown cruise.I saw this bike marked down a significant amount and couldn't let it get away.All stock for now, only plan on going tubeless at some point down the road.

Genius 900 Series Thread-scott-genius.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Nice pics! Just got a Genius 930 a couple of months ago. I want to install a dropper seatpost, looking into the Reverb Stealth to hide the lines. I noticed yours look a bit different, lines are outside the frame. What kind is it? And what is your opinion of what you have, still installed utilizing routing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice. How diffrent is the 940 from the 930? I just got the 930, been riding it the past 3 weeks. Love it! I converted tubeless, rims I believe is not tubeless, had to install Stans yellow rim tape, removed stock rim tape. Tires are tubeless ready.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reh7777 View Post
    Nice pics! Just got a Genius 930 a couple of months ago. I want to install a dropper seatpost, looking into the Reverb Stealth to hide the lines. I noticed yours look a bit different, lines are outside the frame. What kind is it? And what is your opinion of what you have, still installed utilizing routing?
    I have the KS LEV. I love it so far. The only regret I have is I wish I would have bought the 150 mm rather than the 125 mm drop. I have my cable running down the back of the seattube into the frame, then it comes out the frame below the BB and runs up the downtube. It looks pretty good. I have had a couple Reverbs before the KS. The first one worked great and the second one gave me tons of issues. IMO the KS LEV is the best dropper out there right now. I think they will be doing a stealth in it soon. I don't have any experience with the Reverb stealth. It looks good though. Post some pics of your 930.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have the KS LEV. I love it so far. The only regret I have is I wish I would have bought the 150 mm rather than the 125 mm drop. I have my cable running down the back of the seattube into the frame, then it comes out the frame below the BB and runs up the downtube. It looks pretty good. I have had a couple Reverbs before the KS. The first one worked great and the second one gave me tons of issues. IMO the KS LEV is the best dropper out there right now. I think they will be doing a stealth in it soon. I don't have any experience with the Reverb stealth. It looks good though. Post some pics of your 930.

Thanks for the reply. Big help. At least this way, I can decide on my options better. I was studying the possible layout of the cable going the same route you chose, yours was done very neatly. I know the KS usually runs cable on the top tube, my guess is the cable is long enough to go under the BB and utilize the set 'cable brackets' for a well placed cabling system.

I'll take some pics later and post it here. It's still the basic 930, except for tubeless, replaced seat with one that knows my butt and the grips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reh7777 View Post
    I tried 3 different seat-posts, 2 reverbs and 1 KS 900 R.*
    I have been using seatposts since 2008, never went back to standard.
    The KS 900 is my spare that I use when the other are not working.
    I like the more reverb because the actuator is softer and if it is working well, no one beats it. My first Reverb had to be replaced 2 times due to failure on the seals, until I got one that has been working on my old Genuis for more than a 2 years. The last one is the Reverb stealth that is working well so far on the 900 (4 rides LOL).

mtbr member
    I looked at 940 today how do u like it, I cant find any reviews of it

mtbr member
    May 2013

My thoughts on my 940

First of all, please bear in mind I've been riding 4 months, I'm a total noob to the sport. Secondly, this is the first FS bike I've ridden on trails. Thirdly, I'm still learning about cockpit placement and all that other jazz.
    Before I bought the 940 the only other FS I had test ridden was a GT Sensor 9r Expert. I was convinced I was going to buy that bike but when I rode it , I didn't care for it that much, it felt like I was pedaling way to much to keep it at speed on the road.

The reason I decided to try the Genius was I saw it was marked down a significant amount at a local shop and and had seen a lot of people at my local trails on them.I liked the component group on the bike and was comfortable with what I was going to be spending on it.After riding it in the parking lot I was convinced about buying it. The HT I came from was a large frame and I was beginning to feel like I was stretched out just a bit to much on it. The 940 I bought was a medium and felt more comfortable riding.

I've put about 80 trail miles on it since I've had it and these are my impressions so far. I replaced the pedals with Crank Brothers 50/50 2's.I have never ridden clipless and the Shimano 505's that came on the bike were to small And I had a difficult time keeping my feet on the platform side of them. After putting the 50/50's on I felt much better on the bike. I slid the seat back on it's rails to open up the cockpit just a little more and now it feels " more roomy" for lack of a better way to explain it.Back to the seat, I can't stand it, I feel like I'm sitting on a concrete block when I'm riding. I ordered a WTB Pure V , which is on my HT and love it, that should be coming in the next few days.

The bike feels lighter than my HT and more flickable to me, this is a positive in my mind.The Twinloc feature seems nice , I mostly keep it in the middle position and it seems to work ok. I'm still experimenting with different pressures in the shock and fork . I had originally set the shock up the the "hard" setting on Scott's site but since have changed it to soft setting, maybe the new saddle will make a bigger difference. The Fox fork is much better than the RS XC 28 on my HT, probably no surprise to anyone huh. The bike shifts cleanly and I really like the brakes. Since buying it I have started doing more of the expert portions on the trails I ride and have had mostly success doing so. There are some "whoop de whoops" that I havent quite got the the point where I'm clearing the last hill but I'm getting closer than when I started.I had to buy a Camelback since the extra cage and water bottle I have didn't fit on the down tube. I didnt like that but havent bothered to find something that will fit yet.

All in all I'm rather happy with the bike, I believe it will serve me for the next few years while I continue to grow into the sport and increase my experience level. I'm going to go to a tubeless setup but probably not until I buy new tires.

So there are my impressions of the bike, again bear in mind I'm new to to sport and I am still learning stuff. I feel like the money I spent was well worth it and considering when I started in March I wouldn't even considered what I spent on this bike.I'll continue to post my impressions as get the bike set up the way I find it most comfortable.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member

Just built.

One ride and I'm impressed by the versatility of this bike, it is the perfect bike for all day rides in the mountains over any level of terrain. I loved my Spark, but this bike may be even more versatile. The remote shock control is perfect for mountain riding with long climbs, and long descents. I can see where it would be less useful in flat, yet rough terrain. 24.1 lb as pictured. I plan to race XC on this bike...we'll see how it works out.

My Build of Choice, looks a lot like the original post!

Frame: Genius 900 SL
    Fork: RockShox Pike 140mm, 46mm offset.
    Drivetrain: SRAM XX1
    Brakes: XTR Trail
    Wheels: ENVE AM Front, XC Rear
    Cockpit: ENVE (considering a Reverb post)
    Tires: Front-Schwalbe Rocket Ron Snake Skin; Rear-Schwalbe Racing Ralph SnakeSkin; Stans Sealant (2 scoops each tire)
    Saddle: WTB Silverado SLT
    Pedals: Eggbeater 2

Genius 900 Series Thread-genius-final.jpg

Genius 900 Series Thread-photo-9.jpg
    Last edited by brentos; 08-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I want a Genius 930 sooooooo bad.
    when I do buy a new bike in a few years, it will be a Scott Genius of some sort.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member

Great Ride this morning

Started in the dark, sun was coming up just as I came to the top...

Genius 900 Series Thread-lewis.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    brentos, I like your bike man. It's very similar to mine, just a few differences. I wish I had the Pike fork on mine. The Fox just does not impress me. It works ok, but I have heard great things about the Pike. Got to love the Enve wheels. I sure love mine. The Genius is a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks, they are remarkably similar!

The Pike is great, no regrets there. This bike continues to impress...I can be confident that I have the right bike for the job anywhere I go to ride. I'm still getting used to the dropper post, it's awesome when it gets steep or super technical, but that's the only time I use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast