mtbr member
    Jun 2011

FOX RP23 on a 2011 Spark 50 advice

I have a 2011 Spark 50 and have been having issues with the rear lockout. I ride in South Fla wich is mostly XC so I have almost no use for the lock out system anyways. I want to replace the shock to an RP23 and there are some good prices on Ebay, but I want to make sure I am getting the right size and wanted some input before I make the leap.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm planning to do the same, so far I know I need size ETE 165mm (Spark), and the bushings from the old shock don't fit...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi los05.
    I believe it's not newest SPARK (2012rev), isn't it. Take firmest possible tune. The shock size 6.5" x 1.5" (165x38mm). Hardware is 6 x 22.2mm.

By the way lockout option is really nice. You can lock it out on fireroads, asphalt etc. Said this - went with monarch 4.2...

addicted
    ^^ correct. I'm using the Medium tune which is working well for me 140lbs with a Fox 100 RLC on the front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. From the little I've been able to find, I know that I need the
    165mm version of the shock, its the mounting hardware that I am more concerned about at this point. OSOBNY, I can see how the lockout can be useful but I've never use it other than just messing around with it and like I said been having issues with it for the second time now so I really don't want to deal with it anymore.

BTW.. I posted this on the Suspension board, here is the link if you want to follow it:

Thanks for the replies guys. From the little I've been able to find, I know that I need the
    165mm version of the shock, its the mountig hardware that I am more concerned about at this point.

addicted
    The mounting hardware is M6x22.2mm for the fox bushings, you can reuse the stock mounting bolts from scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome.. Now my only decision is whether I should just get the 2011 model with the Boost Valve or the new 2012 with the Kashima coat. Not sure it would be worth it though. I will let you guys know how it goes.. Thanks again for the help..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I was all gun ho on this RP23 swap and started reading a little about the RP23. It appears that people on this site have given it some pretty bad reviews. I am sure I should take it with a grain of salt, but several people have said the same things on here. It's now left me with second thoughts about it. Now I don't know if I should still do the RP23, or the Monarch RT3, or maybe just stick with the M210 and keep the lock out...

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by los05 View Post
    So I was all gun ho on this RP23 swap and started reading a little about the RP23. It appears that people on this site have given it some pretty bad reviews.
    Please put this in context. Do you mean people have given the RP23 shock bad reviews or People have given bad reviews using a RP23 to convert a spark with DT shock?

Sure lots of people dislike fox as some dislike sram products. Majority of Fox complaints are regarding thin stanchion coatings. This is why we now have lovely Kashima. If you maintain your suspension correctly. You should not have any problems.

Issue here is the spark frame and handling issues with the DT shock unit. I,m surprised Scott doesnt read and learn from sites like MTBR.

Maybe then the 2012 bikes might have 15QR,s and decent shocks. But fox doesnt make little lockout levers for their shocks..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    PB11,Yes Fox does make lockout levers for the rp23 and Sram has the Monarch xx with a H/B lever.
    I know! it's about time!

loso5, I have had the rp23 on my 09 bike and I would run that shock again. I am over here on the Scott forum reading as much as I can about the Sparks I'm a racer and I work at a shop and have been there for for four yrs and only seen one fox rear shock come in for repair and it was mine it went out from riding in -45f and that was the shock on my old 05 giant nrs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    [QUOTE=pb11;8637990]Please put this in context. Do you mean people have given the RP23 shock bad reviews or People have given bad reviews using a RP23 to convert a spark with DT shock?

@pb11, Not on that frame in particular, just iffy reviews about the shock in general. I think most of the reviews are for the 2011 model with the boost valve though.
    Fox Racing Shox Float RP23 Rear Shock Reviews
    In regards to that shock on a Spark frame, I have read the opposite actually. People have had very positive things to say about that set up and the difference in ride quality, but I also heard very good things about the Monarch RT3.

Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    loso5, I have had the rp23 on my 09 bike and I would run that shock again. I am over here on the Scott forum reading as much as I can about the Sparks I'm a racer and I work at a shop and have been there for for four yrs and only seen one fox rear shock come in for repair and it was mine it went out from riding in -45f and that was the shock on my old 05 giant nrs.
    I have nothing bad to say about the RP23. I know Fox makes a good product and I ride with dudes that swear by that shock, I am only stating what I read in the reviews forum. All that being said, I decided to go with the Monarch RT3 in a high tune setup. Very stiff at first and some adjustment period was needed, but I have it nicely dialed in now and it has transformed that bike. Nice and stiff on the flat stuff, but very responsive on drops and rocks, and a much better climber now. FYI, I did adjust the IFP pressure and set it to 210psi and that made a world of difference to me. Plus the bike looks cleaner and feels lighter with out all that added lockout hardware. I have been very pleased with the setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FOX RP23 on a 2011 Spark 50 advice-img_3132_2.jpg