mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Fox CTD vs. Scott Twinlock?

So I just heard about Fox's CTD (Climb, trail and descend) and thought to myself didn't Scott patent the technology with their twinlock remote? It's after all, what made Scott bikes so unique.

I know Scott works with Fox and they are partners and need to stay in good standing with each other but do you think Scott-Sports is going to complain?

Maybe Scott is getting some sort of royalty and it's all good?

Just wanted to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I believe they're completely different technologies. The Fox system doesn't change the travel. It's just different compression damping settings. Full-open, adjustable platform, and lockout (with blow-off). Twinlock's claim to fame was adjustable travel ranges.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    DLd:

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. So if I use the FOX CTD on a 150mm fork it stays at 150mm through out each modes?

So if I were to go to "descend" position the fork just becomes softer? That doesn't sound good...I clearly don't understand haha

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, lockout would obviously be less travel..., but same height, or even higher from no sag... But otherwise not so much softer as different, ie. no change to spring rate/pressure. Pedaling platform on Climb, better small-bump full plush on open(Descend), although some have complained about excessive brake dive on Descend mode for the bigger travel forks. Not as bad on the 120 and lower forks, as they're tuned a bit more progressive.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Curious if anyone can speak to the choice of using the Fox CTD Fork paired to the DT Swiss Nude2 shock on the new genius models. Why not just use a matched Fox Rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    DLd:

Ah, I see...so they do function differently. I still prefer the Scott Twinloc over the Fox CTD then.

Singletrack Slayer

here is a explanation..

Fox CTD mode on forks or rear shocks is just that, full open, Propedal, Lockout( with a blowoff valve)ie it is not Locked out completely. This is especially true on the rear shock. The DT Swiss Nude 2 is totally different. IE with the Spark: With the Twinloc on the rear of the shock; you go from Full open travel, 4inches, to Trail, 2.75inches, to FULL lock out. This is done by the DT Swiss Nude 2 shock design having 2 air chambers. So, full open has both air chambers open and full travel is achieved. Trail mode closes one air chamber and allows less travel and the lockout mode closes both air chambers. Total lockout! This is what makes the twinloc and DT swiss unique.. very cool. With the Genius it goes from 6 inches to 4 inches to full lock out! really cool. I got to demo a new Genius 650b with the Syncros Carbon wheels and other carbon goodies. Very nice, I am going to get one as soon as they are available!! I have been on a demo Spark 910 and it is really a gem. By far the best XC bike I've had the pleasure to ride. Here is a link to my review of the Spark 910 and I go over the rear shock and explain it in the video Enjoy

~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    DavidNeiles:

You explained it better then a rep at FOX Racing I emailed. His email didn't fully explain the difference which kinda bummed me out. I see now how they are truly different. I prefer the Twinloc because it does fully lock out the suspension so when I am climbing the steeper parts I don't lose any pedal stroke energy and I'm climbing more efficiently. Trust me, I need all the help I can get when going up hill haha

Love my Genius with the Twinloc