mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Fox 36 Talas 160mm fork on a 2009 Scott Genius 20

Howdy,

Anyone here have any experience running a Fox 36 on a Genius? I realize that the extra 10mm of travel will change the geometry a bit but do you think it'd apply too much extra leverage on the head tube for AM riding? I'm not really looking to take any large hits with this bike but some extra stiffness through the tech would be welcome...

Thanks!

- Tim

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Timz73
    Howdy,

Anyone here have any experience running a Fox 36 on a Genius? I realize that the extra 10mm of travel will change the geometry a bit but do you think it'd apply too much extra leverage on the head tube for AM riding? I'm not really looking to take any large hits with this bike but some extra stiffness through the tech would be welcome...

Thanks!

- Tim
    Should be fine, 10mm wont make that much difference, but my 150mm feels like enough already but if it gives you confidence try it.
    Dazc

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Howdy,

Thanks!

- Tim

a big breakfast and/or large **** before you ride can make more difference in sag than the 10mm you might possibly gain with the TALAS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm not really looking to gain anything from the extra 10mm of travel. It's stiffness I'm after. The 32 Talas with QR is just so friggin' wobbly it's killing me. I went ahead and got the 36.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dazc
    Should be fine, 10mm wont make that much difference, but my 150mm feels like enough already but if it gives you confidence try it.
    Dazc

its more like 30mm, as the fork has a larger A2C. However, the boss ran a talas 36 on his genius 10 last summer, and really liked that combo for all day epic rides

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm not really looking to gain anything from the extra 10mm of travel. It's stiffness I'm after. The 32 Talas with QR is just so friggin' wobbly it's killing me. I went ahead and got the 36.

Thanks guys.

Timz73,

I have the same bike and am considering the 36. Now that you've ridden with it for a few months, what do you think?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey Segov,

I can't believe I waited so long to change forks. The 36 Talas completely changed my Genius for the better. I should note that I switched to a 45mm stem and 30" bars as well.

The increased axle to crown made the headtube more slack & basically eliminated all the pedal strikes I got when in full travel mode. I can still slam the fork and climb like a champ.

Most of the rides I do are long climbs to really long downhills. I could sincerely care less about the extra pound in weight because the performance is stellar when I point the bike down.

I definitely recommend it.

- Tim

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thank you Tim. The Talas 36 is my next upgrade!

mtbr member
    the 36 is way to much fork for a genius 20. the flex is coming from the qr. just get a revelation with the 20mm through axle.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Hi Tim,

I noticed you are running 45mm stem, 760mm bar, talas 36 160mm fork & I was wondering if you can post a pic of your genius. I plan on converting my 140mm RS revelation to 160mm talas 36 with a shorter stem lke 60-70 to have the bike feel more like an "AM". It is more for my confidence riding downhill than anything else.

Thank you in advance,
    Tjay