mtbr member

First time buyer - Scott Aspect 950

Hello all!

Wanting to get into riding without breaking the bank, and I've been shopping around a lot.... But I always seem to come back to the 950.

I know this is the Scott sub forum, so you guys are likely partial haha, but I'd still love to have some sage advice on this purchase. My local shop has the 950 for $550.

What's the general consensus on this bike?

I'm 29 now... But up until I was 19 I rode BMX (rode Dyno before it was GT) a lot, and was pretty aggressive... Is this likely to carry over into mountain biking? If so... Would I be better looking for a 26er (for the maneuverability) rather than the 29's that the 950 offers? Or should I treat myself as a green nooby? It has been 10 years after all...

Lastly, with the 950 what is likely to be the first thing I'll need to invest in as far as upgrades? Wheels and tires seem to come up pretty regularly in discussion.

Thanks to anyone who may help me out!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    No input at all?

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Honestly, I'm not a bike snob, but not crazy about the specs (especially the fork, also brakes, drivetrain) on this bike. If you needed to stay close to that price, I'd look at the Airborne Guardian or one of the 29ers at BikesDirect.

If you're considering quick upgrades, perhaps consider paying a bit more for a bike to begin with -- it's cheaper to buy a nicer bike to start with than it is to get there by upgrades. Specifically, in the $500 to $1,000 price range I think you'd want a Rock Shox fork (probably XC28 or XC32 in this range) -- I think the Suntour Fork on the 950 would be the first thing you'd probably want to replace, and that gets pricey.

With your BMX background, there could be a single-speed 29er in your future!

Hope this helps!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    Honestly, I'm not a bike snob, but not crazy about the specs (especially the fork, also brakes, drivetrain) on this bike. If you needed to stay close to that price, I'd look at the Airborne Guardian or one of the 29ers at BikesDirect.

If you're considering quick upgrades, perhaps consider paying a bit more for a bike to begin with -- it's cheaper to buy a nicer bike to start with than it is to get there by upgrades. Specifically, in the $500 to $1,000 price range I think you'd want a Rock Shox fork (probably XC28 or XC32 in this range) -- I think the Suntour Fork on the 950 would be the first thing you'd probably want to replace, and that gets pricey.

With your BMX background, there could be a single-speed 29er in your future!

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for your input!

All that huh?

I haven't yet started researching individual parts so I'm not always sure what I'm looking at... It all "looks" cool... So it's hard to tell at times haha.

I'll take everything you said into consideration... Thanks a ton!

_edit_

Searching my local Craigslist... I found this for $400, I'll offer $300:

Specifications
    Model Year 2011
    Riding Type Cross-Country, Trail
    Sizes and Geometry
    17"
    Frame Material 6061 Aluminum 5" Travel Single Pivot Suspension MTB, w/Sealed Bearings
    Rear Travel 5"
    Rear Shock Marzocchi Coil F
    Fork RockShox Dart 2 120mm Travel
    Fork Travel 5"
    Head Tube Diameter 1 1/8"
    Headset Ahead Sealed Cartridge
    Handlebar Kalloy Alloy 31.8mm Dia., 640mm Wide, Mid-Rise
    Stem Kalloy Alloy 31.8 Clamp, +/- 7 Degree Rise
    Grips Generic
    Brakes Tektro Novela Sport
    Brake Levers Tektro Novela Sport
    Shifters SRAM X-5 Trigger 8spd
    Front Derailleur Shimano FD-C050
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-5
    Cranks FSA Alpha Drive
    Chainrings FSA 22/32/42t
    Bottom Bracket FSA Power Drive
    Pedals N/A
    Chain KMC X-9
    Cassette SRAM PG-820 13-32t 8spd
    Rims Alex DP17 Double Wall 32h Disk Specific PV
    Hubs 32h Alloy QR Disc Specific
    Spokes Black 14g Stainless
    Tires Kenda 2.1"
    Saddle WTB Speed V
    Seatpost Kalloy Alloy
    Seat Post Diameter 30.0mm
    Seatpost Clamp Generic single bolt
    Rear Dropout / Hub Dimensions 135mm
    Max. Tire Size N/A
    Bottle Cage Mounts Yup
    Colors Red
    Warranty
    Weight
    N/A
    Miscellaneous
    Price $599.95
    More Info Airborne website
    It's a full suspension bike.. On the cheap.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Full suspension bikes have more moving parts and therefore should be more expensive than somewhat equivalent hardtails.

Said differently: you should be able to get better components on a $___ hardtail than on the same priced full suspension (FS) bike. As a rule of thumb, you should probably be wary of any FS bike that retailed for less than $1,000 when new.

If you know you need a FS bike, then you'll want to up your budget, even if that means saving up for a while. Otherwise, you'll probably be better off with a hardtail with nice components.

Specifically on this bike, the Dart is a cheaper fork than the Rock Shox I mentioned, and doesn't have great reviews here on MTBR: RockShox Dart 2 2011 Forks Reviews

If you're interested in buying used, which city Craigslist is relevant for you? There are often good deals to be found on CL, if you are comfortable checking the bike out.

mtbr member
    Oh, forgot to mention that a FS bike tends to weigh a good bit more than hardtail bikes do. I believe that Airborne FS bike might be about 10 pounds heavier than hardtails in your price range.

That weight, and the extra play from the rear suspension, are reasons that FS bikes usually don't climb as well as hardtails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    Oh, forgot to mention that a FS bike tends to weigh a good bit more than hardtail bikes do. I believe that Airborne FS bike might be about 10 pounds heavier than hardtails in your price range.

That weight, and the extra play from the rear suspension, are reasons that FS bikes usually don't climb as well as hardtails.
    You've been great! Thanks for all of your input.

I ended up going to a local bike shop and picked up a 2013 Giant Revel 29er. Got the bike, and matching helmet, gloves, and skewer bike mount for $605 out the door. Seems like a hellacious deal.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good price -- hope you have a lot of fun riding it!