mtbr member
    Jun 2012

First bike in 14 years... 2011 Scott aspect 40 any Mod/Upgrade Suggestions

Well I quit riding when I moved to Kansas from Colorado back in 1998. Decided it was time to start riding again so I traded a Bow last night for a 2011 Aspect 40. Mostly around here its cross country, trail rides, and dirt jumps, not much in the way of downhill!

So I have been out of mountain bikes for a long time and I know technology has changed greatly. Just kind of wondering what suggestions you guys have in regards to mod's, things I should change, and or upgrades that might make my riding more enjoyable so to speak and also any thing to watch out for (weaknesses prone to damage and so on) with this particular bike.

If it matters i am 6'3" (yeah I know its a bit on the small size for me) and 235 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First bike in 14 years... 2011 Scott aspect 40 any Mod/Upgrade Suggestions-new-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    What kind of bow??????............anyway, nice bike. I suggest riding it for awhile. If its not the right fit, why upgrade it? Sell it or trade it for something that fits..........then worry about upgrades. If it peddles now, ride it and enjoy!!!!!

Huckin' trails
    Yeah, what kind of bow ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    traded my old Mathews conquest 3 for it. I was planning on upgrading this fall anyway so it worked out well. As for the bike rode it before we traded and again today and really like the way it rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I my self have a 2011 Scott aspect 40 that I bought new. I love the bike and it can handle the single tracks here in Germany like a champ. As far as up grades I have done on my 40. I've swapped every stock component out besides the handle bars and seat post. But the one upgrade that I can tell the most gain would have to be upgrading the drive train from the 8 speed to the new shimano slx 10 speed. The forks were next becouse the stock ones are really heavy. whats your price range?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I picked up a used scale 29 comp had an upgraded saddle (Cobb DRT, amazing), from what I read that's the weakest part about the bike. Since then I've gone 1x9, taken 1.5 inches from the seat post and adjusted bars, brakes, shifters to my liking. At 26-27 (estimate) lbs not much to complain about. Spent $0 on upgrades, $120 on repairs.

Ditch the reflectors!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice wheels btw, you will love it. Ride it.