Dec 2012

EQUALIZER 2 maintenance

hello wanted to share this with you

EL PPT
    Equalizer 2
    El PDF
    https://rapidshare.com/#!download|77...0D7C68EFA69768

hope you like
    Last edited by naranzeta; 06-24-2013 at 06:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    no ANSWERS????

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great. thanks for the information post
    Performed a minor service today as the piston shaft was exposed about 7mm, I did it by simply removing the two small screws (valves) with a modified jewelers’ screwdriver and then via a very small syringe added approx. 4ml of new suspension oil, and bingo, the shaft now retracts fully back.. You should note that there is a small insert spring in each of the screws, so go gently.
    It would appear that when the oil migrates to either the (-) of (+) chambers it is the lack of oil in the main chamber that causes the piston to be exposed.
    Turned out to be an easy job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks, friend, but remember that you have more oil than you need in the -air chamber and it modifie your air presure

I want ivite you to the spanish Scott Genius forum were we write longer about Genius.

¿Cuantas SCOTT GENIUS recorren nuestras montañas? Censo de GENIUS - Página 923

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    naranzeta
    Thanks for the link
    What I did was to remove all air and cycle the shock with the (+) chamber valve compressed and the (-) chamber valve removed, and I got a little oil out. This time it seems that the oil migrated to the (+) chamber, but other times it has migrated to the (-) chamber.
    Yes the seals may be worn, but I have always had a little spray of oil come out when I adjusted the shock with the pump.
    It will be interesting now long this quick fix works

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Amazing! Thanks for posting this. So, am I correct in thinking that the EQ2 shock is not nitrogen-charged, like most rear shocks, but instead the 2 air spring chambers keep the oil volume constant?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yep air only and the oil transfers through to the (+) chambers when compressed. The shaft doesn't retract fully when the oil volume drops due to oil passing through either the (-) or (+) piston seals. By replacing a little of the oil I managed to get the shaft to retract fully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi,
    II own a scott genius 30. The rear shock has been a lemon since the day I bought it. I have had it replaced/serviced 3 times under warranty. It is now sagging again and I want a permanent fix. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can retro-fit another brands rear shock to replace the equiliser 2 shock. Scott advises you cannot but I question their motives for saying this. Has anyone had experience in doing this?

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can purchase an equiliser 2 or the next upgrade from for a decent price. I was quoted AUS$600 by the rep.

Any help would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Swbjam
    From what I understand the equiliser 2 shock is all you can use As far as a permanent fix is concerned this shock always needs to be serviced, currently I get about 6000 km's out of each full service (sent away for seals etc.) The quick refill method could prove to be great, I have only done 400 km's but the piston has remained fully retracted so far.
    Last edited by nickr; 01-16-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: error

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for your help.

I will check ut the quick fix and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Swbjam
    tread lightly there are 2 very small springs that fit inside the screws that you remove
    I have left my email address in the Visitor Messages of your profile as I do have a shock for sale