mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Dt Swiss Shock is SHRIEKING!

Sooo, The Dt Swiss shock on my 2013 Genius is really making some scary sounds when I put it in the traction mode (middle setting). The shock has always made a squeak while compressing when in the descend position and I recently tried adjusting the cable tension on the twin lock. It seems as though the noise kicks in if the cable is a little too tight. Anyone else find that their shock makes a loud shriek when compressed? Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Try opening the air can (let the air out first) and putting some grease or thick oil on the dynamic seals. This has worked for me on a couple of sparks with similar noises.

In some cases it can be the pivot hardware too, but from your description I would be surprised if that is the case on your bike.

mtbr member
    When I've experienced this, it was a result of the cable tension being a bit too tight or loose in the traction setting. Give the barrel adjuster a couple turns (even while riding) to see if it fixes the problem.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thx Brentos, that was the fix I believe. I think the lock ring on my barrel adjuster had become loose so the cable was back slipping. Did I mention that I FRACKING LOVE THIS BIKE! I put a 30t Race Face narrow/wide chain ring on and rode Black Mountain up in Pisgah. Climbed like a goat and pinned some crazy arse downhill section. Can't get it outta my head!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you guys flip the bike upside down, you'll see 2 lines near the cable portion of the shock where the turning wheel cable guide is. You have to adjust the cable tension where the line is in between those 2 lines. If its not in those lines you'll get those noises.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    If you guys flip the bike upside down, you'll see 2 lines near the cable portion of the shock where the turning wheel cable guide is. You have to adjust the cable tension where the line is in between those 2 lines. If its not in those lines you'll get those noises.
    Hi pumaking
    I have the same problem,but I can't understand what the procedure is. I can see the 2 lines , but I don't know how to do it
    I would be really grateful If you can explain it in detail.
    I can see the 2 lines it sais"trail" but the cable never gets there, it only approaches in open position. Is this wrong?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Step 1: Make sure all the cable slack is gone and tighten up the cinch bolt on the shock. Also make sure the barrel adjuster on the twin-lock lever is all the way in.

Step 2: Put the twin lock lever in Trail Mode so in the middle section.

Step 3: Flip bike upside, and look for the 2 lines. The silver circular disc where the cable is cinched onto has a line as well.

Step 4: Adjust the barrel adjuster on the Twin Lock lever so that the silver disc line is in between those 2 lines on the black portion of the shock. When its in between, you're done and check for cable snag.

Step 5: Run through the lever open, trail, closed to make sure the system does not bind.

Step 6: Buy some beer, enjoy the bike and send me a bottle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Step 1: Make sure all the cable slack is gone and tighten up the cinch bolt on the shock. Also make sure the barrel adjuster on the twin-lock lever is all the way in.

Step 2: Put the twin lock lever in Trail Mode so in the middle section.

Step 3: Flip bike upside, and look for the 2 lines. The silver circular disc where the cable is cinched onto has a line as well.

Step 4: Adjust the barrel adjuster on the Twin Lock lever so that the silver disc line is in between those 2 lines on the black portion of the shock. When its in between, you're done and check for cable snag.

Step 5: Run through the lever open, trail, closed to make sure the system does not bind.

Step 6: Buy some beer, enjoy the bike and send me a bottle.
    Jajaja. Thanks pumaking. I'll try it and I'll comment the result.
    If I d'ont have to go to the mechanic you 'll have a big beer for you in Catalonia waiting for you.
    Bye