mtbr member

DT Swiss shock issue?

On my ride this morning my DT Swiss rear shock started really moaning and squeaking. I clean and lube after every ride. Any ideas why/what this is, how to fix it?

Before anybody says replace the shock with a Fox CTD, its on my to do list....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Maybe it time for some shock service.....before i swap my was squeaking so I sent it for service and it helped but never had the plush filling I wanted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeQueyar View Post
    Maybe it time for some shock service.....before i swap my was squeaking so I sent it for service and it helped but never had the plush filling I wanted.
    Thanks Mike for the reply but I guess I should have said in my post that the bike is only 3 months old. I would hope my shock doesn't need service after only 3 months....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well I gave services after 8 month if Im not mistaking and there was one time that the bearing was getting loose (only happened once) but you check the bike after every ride.

I friend got the genius 930 the same week I did and he told me that his shock started giving problem after 3 or 4 month took it to the LBS and they service it.....after that he had no problem....

So maybe you should take it to the LBS
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeQueyar View Post
    Well I gave services after 8 month if Im not mistaking and there was one time that the bearing was getting loose (only happened once) but you check the bike after every ride.

I friend got the genius 930 the same week I did and he told me that his shock started giving problem after 3 or 4 month took it to the LBS and they service it.....after that he had no problem....

So maybe you should take it to the LBS
    Good luck.
    Oh wow. That seems quick. Well it's going in to have the front shock dampners replaced due to the FOX recall so I guess I'll have them take a look...

mtbr member
    Check the cable tension on the remote. Make sure that the little dot on the shock remote pulley is between the two lines on the shock body when in the middle position. Reference the owners manual.

My guess is it needs a couple turns to tighten the cable tension and make up for any stretch that has occurred in the first couple months.

If that doesn't fix it, it needs to be serviced.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There was/is an on-going issue with the Nude2 shocks - a component which is part of the damper assembly, cracks over time (as I recall) and leads to a 'honking' noise on compression. DT were working on a solution, but as of the end of the 2013, hadn't yet come up with a fix.

Having just got a 2013 Spark 900 with a Nude2, I can see why people have a love/hate relationship with this shock...and first impressions show (to me) how/why it was totally unsuited to the longer travel Genius.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cws196 View Post
    There was/is an on-going issue with the Nude2 shocks - a component which is part of the damper assembly, cracks over time (as I recall) and leads to a 'honking' noise on compression. DT were working on a solution, but as of the end of the 2013, hadn't yet come up with a fix.

Having just got a 2013 Spark 900 with a Nude2, I can see why people have a love/hate relationship with this shock...and first impressions show (to me) how/why it was totally unsuited to the longer travel Genius.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. I'll make some adjustments to see if that helps, but sounds like I may need service. I was riding the shock with a lot of sag because of the harshness of it. I use the bike maybe a bit more all-mountain than maybe it is intended for. I really like the bike, but hate that low volume shock when I'm pointed downhill. Maybe it's time to upgrade.... Now how to figure out sneaking a $600 new shock past the wife! Maybe a new thread on that is in order...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    check out the FOX shock on 2013 Genius thread as one guy has just coverted to a CTD REMOTE version with twinloc and it works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My 2013 Genius has a chirping noise when I have it in the open position. It would become a shriek whenever the cable would loosen (due to the locking nut backing off from vibration). I would have to spin the barrel back down a bit and reset the locking nut. Figured out after a bit to put a spot of lock-tite on the nut and problem seems solved. Regardless, I'm going to swap out to that CTD as soon as I can afford it. But for the record, my DT has worked very well for the past 15 months of weekly rides. Hope it holds up until I replace it so I'll have a back up!

mtbr member
    In all honesty thought the Dt Swiss shock was fine on the Genius 740. I've own Orange five's, Giant Trance 2008, Specialized Pitch Pro 2010, All had Fox RP or RP23 shock and all very good rides. The Scott Genius was a good ride, But now with the Fox CTD and the twinloc, This bike is amazing, truly AWESOME.