mtbr member

down tube protection for carbon frame? scale 29er

What are you guys using to protect your fancy carbon frames from stray rocks? I just got my Scale 29er RC and want to prevent damage to the down tube from rocks.

mtbr member
    Crank Skinz sells thick clear tape I put on the down tube, chain stays, and seat stays. I also added a two layers of Gorilla tape right at the BB area (make sure you puncture the tape for the bb drainage hole) for extra protection. You can also get similar type of tape on amazon under the name of "helicopter tape" or "racers tape".
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

bi-winning
    I ordered from Crankskins. DOWNTUBE & FRAME PROTECTION

I was not super paranoid, so I just got the thin stuff.

I've been happy with my purchase. I've used it for over a year.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Your Best Friend
    I've been using helicopter tape on my RC for almost a year now with zero damage. I'd also recommend using it as a chain slap protector (it wipes clean from the grease super easy!) and put several layers on the top tube where your brake levers will gouge it in a crash. This is where I've seen several carbon bikes get damaged. The tape works great.

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    3M paint protection tape on amazon.....you'll have to cut it unlike a bike specific kit...but you'll save roughly $30

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I've been using helicopter tape on my RC for almost a year now with zero damage. I'd also recommend using it as a chain slap protector (it wipes clean from the grease super easy!) and put several layers on the top tube where your brake levers will gouge it in a crash. This is where I've seen several carbon bikes get damaged. The tape works great.
    My new RC came with a rubber/plastic chain stay protector, is that a new addition? It also came with quick release seat post collar in addition to the normal one, which I wasn't expecting.

I think I will go with the 3M protection film route, thanks for info guys!

Also What do you guy recommend for bb92 cups? It looks like there is both plastic and aluminum ones. thinking of just going with enduro bb92 setup.
    Last edited by willymcd; 12-26-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Your Best Friend
    Yes, my RC also came with a piece of S$%T chainstay protector. I wasn't going to replace it but on the first serious ride, it kept migrating along the stay enough that the crank arms were rubbing it constantly. I put two layers of the tape on the chainstay and it has been perfect ever since. It's nice to just wipe off whenever I want. Not really sure I needed two layers or even needed to cover the other areas on the bike but I was playing it safe. It peels off nicely if you ever need to change it out but mine isn't showing any wear. Enjoy your new bike!