mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Custom Scott Spark Jr

Hi All,

Just a quick post to show the Scott Spark jr 20 my Son and I have built over the past year. Let me know your thoughts/feedback and happy to answer any questions about it!

What we started with:

Custom Scott Spark Jr-img_4164.jpg

and this is where we are now!!

Custom Scott Spark Jr-img_4542.jpg
    Custom Scott Spark Jr-img_4541.jpg

Plus a little vid to show how he has progressed in his riding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZBv6xg5pag

mtbr member
    Whoa. Rebeccatheripper needs that. How old was he when he first got on the 20" hoops?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    We got the bike for him just before his 5th birthday so he's had it a while but the majority of the updates have been over the last year as his riding has improved - finished now though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's cool :-) well done paulm7508. Looks like he's loving it.

What was the total cost of the bike and the rebuild?

Was that Cannock chase in one of the scenes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I reckon total cost of the bike, (and this does not include a number of bits that were in my parts bin like front brakes) is probably in the region of £700 - first time ive probably worked that out because you don't notice when it's done over time (the plight of all bikers!!)

The video was made up of riding at QE park and Rogate, both in Hants - great places, (especially for building Oli's skills), have you been?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    no i havnt but looks good, i will have to try and get down there sometime. my boy is 5 in august, so hes still on a 12 inch wheel bike at the moment. i bought him a ridgeback rigid 20 inch bike but its way to big for him yet. im sure he'l have a growth spurt soon.

i like the project that you done, its great way to get him in to the bike scene at a young age :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I was about to ask the same question on locations.
    I've been meaning to get my 6yr old into jumping properly but struggling with location.

We usually go to Swinley but it's hard to find a decent starter jump that doesn't do a 90 with a tree directly ahead if you mess up. Google maps says its 40 mins to Rogate so I think we'll give it a try..... Any way of sharing good locations or will it be easy to find the right places?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Best place we found to start out, (mostly because it is our local) in QE Park just off the A3 - they have been doing lots of work on the blue and red trails and it is a great place to take the little ones to up their skill level, (nothing too serious but good fun). Rogate is a good place (GU31 5DL) but has some pretty serious lines. Oli likes riding this one so he can measure up against the pro's!! Stoughton is also really good and a great place to practice table tops and drop off's as there are a range of sizes, all well maintained, (PO18 9JG). Will upload a video of Oli at Stoughton DH later today so you can see a bit of what's there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Cheers Paul....
    A good mix would be best for us as I can't see him spending ages practicing rather than doing trails unless there are other kids in his age range ..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Paul, you're son is riding great. You must be proud. Gotta question about the fork you have on there...

In the video he still has the stock fork on the bike, even at the end of the video. Are you guys using the 24" fork or did you not like the handling?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi jochribs, the video I put up is a little out of date and the fork has been added since, should update the video really!
    Adding the 24" fork has been a great addition! the added travel has saved the little ones hands on the bigger stuff and the geo is now as good as it is going to get - the angles are now more in line with a modern gravity bike and has raised his confidence no end when going downhill!