Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

CTD shock on Spark?

The Fox suspension website has a picture of a Scott Spark with an iCD shock on it. There is also a video where Geoff Kabush talks about how much he loves it. Has anybody swapped the nude shock on the Spark for a Fox CTD (electronic or mechanical)? The reviews of the CTD have been very positive, just wondering how it compares to the nude shock.

mtbr member
    I would imagine it would feel good. I would contact Scott though for a recommendation of the exact model they would use.

Erik

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In the cyclingnews review of the Spark RC they mention swapping to a Fox and said it solved the DT shocks lack of small bump compliance. I just purchased a Spark RC frame and will consider going with a Fox CTD depending on how the DT serves me once spring comes. It looks like they run ~$400 new but have been watching the mtbr classifieds and people frequently post near new shocks in the $200 range.

Review is here: Scott Spark 29 RC Long-term Review | Cyclingnews.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I wonder if you could get a Fox CTD remote rear shock to work with the twinloc switch. I wouldn't mind swapping out my 5 year old DT nude for one of the new Fox shocks.

jju
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You can use fox remote lever, it will fork with fox fork and shock: CTD Explained | New for 2013 | Bike | FOX

mtbr member
    I consider about the same; swapping the stock Nude 2 shock on my 2012 29 Pro to a 2013 Fox Float CTD Rear MTB Shock Remote Lockout. I'm wondering as well if the standard Twinloc handle would suit the Fox Shock handling...
    If anybody can clear that up it would make me very happy.

i climb well 4 my weight
    Oct 2012
    I have just swapped my DT shock on my 2012 29er for my 6 year old Float RP2 off an old bike. The difference was night and day. I have chopped off the remote cables and will never use DT shocks again. Mine wouldnt lock out after a years use and had horrible feel. The fox with propedal on has no pedal bob yet still soaks up bumps, propedal off is plush plush plush descending. When I can afford a new Fox I will go for it, I wont worry about remotes again. This was my main gripe with the spark like many others. Problem solved at no cost=happy wife!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've looked into it enough to learn that Fox does not make a 6.5" long x 1.5" stroke CTD shock with Boost Valve. Apparently they may have been made for some OEM applications in this size but they are not available for purchase aftermarket. So the potential CTD shocks for the 2nd gen Spark are the base Float CTD model or the Float CTD Remote model. I didn't look into the iCTD any more than learning it costs mega bux ($1000+) and I don't think you can even buy one right now anyway.

I'm thinking of getting one of the two CTD options. I think I'd prefer the remote shock but I'm not all that interested in using the gargantuan Fox lockout lever. No word on if the twinlock lever will work for it and I doubt anyone can say if it will work without just trying it. I may just order the CTD Remote shock and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll return it and get the standard CTD shock. Price difference is $375 vs $395 so not much incentive there. The Fox lockout lever runs $80 though so if the twinlock lever doesn't work, you'd be spending $100 extra between the added shock cost and the lever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just put a CTD remote on the 2013 Spark. It sort of works with the Scott lever, but you have to change the small removable disc in the lever from the NUDE2 one to the FOX one which should be available from Scott. But, it takes a TON of force on the lever to switch it into the 3rd position. I talked to the service manager at fox and he said their Twinloc will work better than the Scott since it has a much longer lever and definitely pulls the correct amount of cable (He was dubious that the Scott lever had the correct pull radius even with the Fox inserts)

So, sounds like your best bet is to buy the Fox lever or to go with the standard CTD with the switch. An added bonus of the CTD shock is that it can be mounted upside-down which actually leaves room for a large water bottle in the cage! (gasp)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks man. Super helpful info. You just saved me a week of time and the hassle of having to pay shipping both ways. I think I'm just going to go with the std CTD shock and just deal with using the manual lever on the shock body.

I have yet to even get my bike out a single time, but slowkini's review has convinced me that the Nude2 shock is going to suck. I may as well just swap shocks now since I think that where I will end up anyway. Then I can truthfully list the DT for sale and say it's never seen use.

Were you able to transfer over the eyelet hardware from your DT shock or did Fox provide you with eyelet hardware that fit the Spark?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Actually, I have it set up now with the Scott lever (with the Fox inserts), and it seems to be working correctly. I will compare once the Fox lever comes in. You'll need the mounting hardware too, it's the 6x22.2 mm spacers on both sides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzman20 View Post
    Actually, I have it set up now with the Scott lever (with the Fox inserts), and it seems to be working correctly. I will compare once the Fox lever comes in. You'll need the mounting hardware too, it's the 6x22.2 mm spacers on both sides.
    Couple more questions. What "disc" did you swap? The one bolted to the bottom of the Twinlock and intended to be used for different forks (i.e. the one in the picture)? Or did you swap out the main lever that currently controls the rear shock?
     photo Twinlock_Lever_zpsfe5e1491.jpg

I contacted Scott and they knew nothing. Said they had no idea if you could control a Fox rear shock with their lever. Kind of odd since I'm sure it has been tried by them. Perhaps I just didn't get in touch with the right person.

So would you say that the Scott Twinlock works ok or not? Earlier you said it takes a ton of force. Is it still ok or would you say it is simply too much and it doesn't really work?

Are the spacers you mention for the shock the ones that come with the Fox shock? Or are they something you had to get independently?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Seems Scott has a longer Twinlock lever now. I got an early 2013 Spark 910 in September. Had to warranty the lever this month and it was a little different. Longer lever. I'm now seeing it on the Genius.definitely makes the throw easier. I clicked a lot before and feel like I'm using it more now. Maybe the new version will help you.

Lusus Naturae
    So has anyone replaced the Nude on a newer (2012) Spark? Trying to figure out which bushings I need for both the front and rear eyelets. Are they the same as the old Spark models?

I called Fox and they were actually mostly not knowledgeable so back to the forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi there, i'm also interested to change the m210 that came with my spark 60 2012, and i dont want the CTD, because i dont want to spend that much, but i want a rp23, and i want to know what tuning is the best for the spark geometry, i like to descend fast and on rough soil, and i'm a bit tired of the stiffness of the m210, and i want it more smooth and plush, but fox has so many options of tuning, velocity, rebound, boost valve...

Can someone tell me some tips for the right tunning for my needs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Isnt possible to replace the Dt Swiss for a Rear Fox Float with iCD to use the twinlock system ?

mtbr member
    Bumping this thread. I'm contacting Scott to see if we can get a retrofit 2014 Fox shock to replace the DT Swiss shock.

Erik

mtbr member
    Interested to contacted scott to see if I could change the nude 2 on my genius 2013 but didnt return my email has anyone done the change on the genius to fox ctd?
    the 2014 scott lineup all come with fox rear shock now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The 2014 Sparks will come with a "Special Edition" of Fox Shock, it will be called Fox NUDE. Ive contacted Scott and the Bike Shop that build my bike. They told me it will not be possible to buy this Fox NUDE as a Aftermarket product to install in 2013 Sparks for example. I dont know why.
    They also told me that if buying a Fox CTD 2013 Shock to install in 2013 Spark replacing the DT Nude Shock may not work with the Twinloc System because the cable pull of the Fox is different from the custom Dt Nude2 Shock.

I also wanted to replace the dt for a Fox CTD, but considering the information that i received, i guess the best option is stay with the Dt Nude 2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone ask them if is possible to put other shock and still use the chip in low position? It wont hit the link?

And someone can help me with the #15 post..?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Fox no longer makes the RP23, they are all rep,laced with CTD.

Fox offers an inexpensive rear shock which is just a simple CTD rear shock for $320 retail

When ordering, ask for 6.5"x1.5" rear shock. This is for 29ers only. Hardware mounts are 22mmx6mm.

mtbr member
    How about the genius what rear shock will fit? anyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    yes, any info on fox replacement for genius 710 would be much appreciated. thank you.

mtbr member
    My lbs said to me that maybee scott woulb be able to sell the fox for replacement

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I took the plunge and did it. For 2014 they are selling the 6.5 x 1.5 CTD with the Boost Valve and Trail Adjust features. I believe in 2013 you couldn't get either option in this size shock. I ordered through Pro Bike Supply and they supplied reducers with it. Unfortunately the packaging didn't label what size they were and so I can't give advice on that. But suffice it to say you will need the proper ones since the Nude 2 ones won't fit. Weight of the shock with the bushing reducers was 216 g.

photo IMG_0176_zpsc08984c5.jpg

photo IMG_0171_zps6e6d0e78.jpg

I went back and forth a lot on if I should get the remote version or not. I liked using the remote on the Nude 2 but didn't want the big honkin Fox lever if I went with the CTD. Sounded like maybe the Scott lever could be used with the Fox shock but it would be incredibly stiff. In the end I didn't get the remote version and I'm happy with that. I've got a much cleaner bar top as a result. I can say that with the CTD you just don't need the remote as much as with the Nude 2. With the DT shock I was using it quite a bit. With the CTD I just set it in the Trail position and that is good for the majority of the time.

Overall I like all 3 positions on the CTD shock better than the corresponding positions on the DT. The "lockout" on the CTD isn't locked out. It's just very stiff compression damping. It works better for typical offroad situations when I want things stiffened up. I felt like the lockout on the DT was intended for pavement or something. It was completely locked out which is just something I never really need. I'd lock it out when riding up a fireroad or when doing a 10 second uphill sprint but even a fireroad felt better with some compliance. And as for the 10 sec sprint, leaving the CTD in the middle position works fairly well anyway.

The middle position on the CTD is way more active than any position on the DT shock. It works very well for rocky uphill and it also works very well for rocky downhill. The D (third) position on the CTD is also better than the fully open position on the DT though I don't even bother with it unless I'm doing a lengthy downhill with almost no pedaling required. The whole DT shock just feels very crudely controlled in comparison to the Fox. It works, but the CTD feels superior virtually all the time.

I was really really really on the fence over getting the remote vs non-remote version. I loved the ability to use the remote on the DT shock with both my 1st gen Spark and my 2nd gen one. But the non-remote Fox shock is available with the trail adjust (3 sub settings when in T) while the remote version isn't. That hideous Fox remote lever is what pushed me over the edge to avoid the remote version and I'm happy with the decision. With this Fox shock, I just don't need the remote like I did with the DT. On a 1 hr loop around my house I maybe switched between positions every 3-5 min with the DT shock. With the Fox I maybe do it once. It just isn't needed since the shock seems to work so much better when in the middle position. Stiff when you want it to be, compliant when you don't. And for the most part, it does it all on its own.

The shock cost was a bundle ($450). Not sure if it was worth that much or not. But I can say it works better than the Nude 2 hands down. Now that I got it and the bill is paid, I'm glad I got it. I was really happy with my Spark before this change but now I like it even more. Hopefully this insight gives some of you the info you need to make a decision either way. If it were $250-300 I'd say the swap is a no brainer. Since it's above that cost, it completely depends. I can see going either way. The bike works well with the DT shock, it just works better with the CTD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast