Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got mine installed on my 2012 Spark 29 Team:

The pedaling platform is pretty damn amazing in all modes, even for out of the saddle efforts. The old M210 would wallow significantly when open, but not this shock.

It's a weird shock though with how it behaves. Like in climb mode it's stiffish until you hit a large bump then it opens up and rides plush.

Trail mode is kinda confusing. 3 seems ride better than 1. I'm thinking that 1 doesn't have enough compression and I run into the boostvalve too easily so it feels harsh when the boostvalve ramps up? It's hard to figure out what's going on as this shock also seems to 'open up' on a hit which changes how it is riding compared to whatever mode it is set to.

Slowing rebound seems to make it ride firmer, so that needs to be dialed just right.

Descend feels pretty good but still has a good platform to pedal on.

The other thing is that I wish it had more resistance to G-outs, even the little ones.

I don't know that this shock's tune is though, so I'm not sure if it is ideal for me.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp
    '9x Spec' Hardrock Cromo rigid

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Got mine installed on my 2012 Spark 29 Team:
    My antivirus say that the site http://www.xti9.com is virus infected and the browser dont show the photo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't know why it would say that...the home page is the default godaddy one as i never set it up lol. All i have on there are photos and a couple smaller sites.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I took the plunge as well. I have taken a ride yet but I am looking forward to it. Specs: 2013 Spark 940, frame size: large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CTD shock on Spark?-img_1815.jpg  

CTD shock on Spark?-img_1816.jpg  

CTD shock on Spark?-img_1819.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mwillits View Post
    I took the plunge as well. I have taken a ride yet but I am looking forward to it. Specs: 2013 Spark 940, frame size: large.
    Look well if you have enought clearance between shox plunger edge and frame link (shox on full stroke without air pressure)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ataro View Post
    Look well if you have enought clearance between shox plunger edge and frame link (shox on full stroke without air pressure)
    Just went out and verified this. There is enough room and the shock pluger does not touch the frame link on full stroke. Looking at your picture, you definitely have more clearance on the high bb setting. But there is enough clearance on the low bb setting on mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I also bought this:

CTD shock on Spark?-x-fusion02.jpg

A little gem I found for 135. I thought what the hey. If the fox needs service, or if I don't like it I have this. The other thing is I wanted to compare other shocks on it...

I have to say that O2 impressed me a lot more and faster than the Float did...
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also bought this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-fusion02.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	922682 A little gem I found for 135. I thought what the hey. If the fox needs service, or if I don't like it I have this. The other thing is I wanted to compare other shocks on it... I have to say that O2 impressed me a lot more and faster than the Float did...
    Could you explain why? (a comparison between Fox float (model?) and xfusion (O2 is top version?)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You would have to read this:

A tale of 2 shocks: Float CTD BV vs. X-Fusion O2 RL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I must also note that since neither of my new shocks use a remote, I still have to keep the twinlock on to dial in the unlocked compression on the Recon...otherwise that fork was a divey mess!

'12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    You would have to read this: A tale of 2 shocks: Float CTD BV vs. X-Fusion O2 RL Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah, I've just not been happy with it. Sometimes it feels like it rides good, sometimes I wonder why it feels like 'that'. And then I fiddle around with it, but never really know where it should be. It's kind of a firm feeling shock, and not completely consistent.

When I put the O2 RL on, it felt dampened in a really nice and controlled manner. It felt like it tracked better and was more consistent. It made me happy and made the bike fun. It's a very good unit even though it is a model that is a few years old.

I think ultimately I'd prefer an O2 with remote lockout. Or the RCX with the different platform options.

The problem is I need to replace the Recon because the twinloc is required to set the compression, unless i can remove the spring somehow in the compression dial. But that fork is making a tapping sound in the air spring side and I'm kinda getting tired of it anyways.

Ultimately I think it would be sweet to match a Slide RL2 (have one on my HT that I like) to the O2 RL.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For those that want to run LOW mode, it looked like there was plenty of clearance if u mounted it with the main body on the linkage side. I didn't actually try it but it looked like it should work fine.

I ran the Float again after riding the HT for a bit and I didn't mind it.

The float had more platform which the Spark needs for pedaling on middle and large rings. It definitely feels like it pedals better.

'12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    For those that want to run LOW mode, it looked like there was plenty of clearance if u mounted it with the main body on the linkage side. I didn't actually try it but it looked like it should work fine. I ran the Float again after riding the HT for a bit and I didn't mind it. The float had more platform which the Spark needs for pedaling on middle and large rings. It definitely feels like it pedals better. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    What u think about the Float CTD in climb position? It seems firm enought, but not as a DT Nude 2 in locked position.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I haven't really used Climb mode much. However yes, it does seem to open up a bit easily. I thought it opened up a bit too easily though which made the shock feel kinda inconsistent. It's like, you put it in climb mode, it's firm like it's supposed to be, then suddenly you hit something and it's not in climb mode anymore lol.

The interesting thing is that the Spark is naturally a very good climber in the small chain ring (especially with a 22t triple) due to the good anti-squat numbers for sitting and spinning. The big ring is where you really could use the Climb mode. I found Trail mode with the firmest setting to be pretty adequate.

I'm going to be leaving the Float on the Spark for a while for a more long term get to know ya.

Sadly I am in need of a fork for it bad though
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

scott spark team

I haven't really used Climb mode much. However yes, it does seem to open up a bit easily. I thought it opened up a bit too easily though which made the shock feel kinda inconsistent. It's like, you put it in climb mode, it's firm like it's supposed to be, then suddenly you hit something and it's not in climb mode anymore lol.

The interesting thing is that the Spark is naturally a very good climber in the small chain ring (especially with a 22t triple) due to the good anti-squat numbers for sitting and spinning. The big ring is where you really could use the Climb mode. I found Trail mode with the firmest setting to be pretty adequate.

I'm going to be leaving the Float on the Spark for a while for a more long term get to know ya.

Sadly I am in need of a fork for it bad though
    Thanks for the great info regarding the Team model. Zephxiii , You are a big help. Sorry for the sidetrack but I did the Manitou Tower Pro Taper Tube 15mm Axle with the Chris King oversize headset. Amazing difference. Cant wait to do the Fox shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I did use climb mode for quite a lot more after that post. I liked running it that way. I've left the CTD on the Spark since it has a much stronger platform and keeps the Spark pedaling efficiently. I've since gotten used to it.

I'm 2.5 weeks into a broken Clavicle though so i haven't been on the bike for at least that. I was actually planning on running the bike in a 62 mile gravel grinder just to be 'comfortable'. I was also considering running it in Iceman Cometh, both races I had to miss.

However looking at the conditions of Iceman, I don't think i'd want to run the Spark through all that lol.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Howdy. I have the 2013 Scott Spark 940. I'm going to do the fox shock conversion and was wondering about the fork. I don't use the remote switch very much and was thinking of removing it all together and going with more of a "set it and forget it" type set up. Can I just set the fork in the mode I want, open/descend, and then just remove the cable? Should I source a conversion kit that would give me the option to use the settings on the fork without a remote?

I have played and played and played with the settings and pressures and could never really get the small bump compliance I wanted in the "trail" setting. Talked to the shop I purchase from and he advised to run it in the open setting all the time and set my air pressures slightly higher and that would solve my issue. Well, doing that the bike feels too squishy, too flexy. I guess Wallowing is what you guys call it.

I see the exact same bike as mine above in mwillits post. Looks like he still had the remote on the fork but not the shock. I may go with set up but was wondering about the fork. Get a top cap conversion kit or can I just remove the cable and run it in the open setting?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi Durt,

I am still using the fork with the lockout. I actually investigated getting the parts through fox. You can call fox with your fork serial number and they will put a list together and ship the parts. I believe the parts were like $30 or so. If you have any more questions let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    UPDATE: Went with the 2014 Fox Float CTD with boost valve non-remote version.
    F'n love it! Works so much better than the DT Swiss Nude that was on there. Should've made this conversion long ago. I leave it set in the "trail" mode and fiddled with my pressures a bit and am just loving how it feel's/rides. I weight approx. 170, have approx. 155 lbs in the shock with the rebound just one or two clicks toward the 'fast' side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How is your shock tuned Durt?
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cws196 View Post
    In terms of the DT versus the Fox:

The Nude 2 never felt right to me, in only a month of use. With the travel in the mid setting it felt far too progressive - to my mind the primary air chamber is too small. To make it feel anywhere near like the shock was working, I was dropping air pressure. But when the secondary air chamber was opened (in the max travel setting), the shock/rear end then wallowed because the air pressure was too low.

In contrast the Fox CTD, the Fox works on damper changes rather than travel changes, and does it all much better. It feels far more supple and compliant, and I don't the miss the travel adjustment at all. It simply works better - the rear end tracks much better, doesn't wallow and never feels 'stunted' as the Nude 2 did.

I got the rear shock via ebay and had it re-tuned to as stated above. I'm 150kg and ride XC on my Spark.

In terms of the cable pull, as long as you are using a Scott TwinLoc lever that was previously used with a Nude2, it will work fine. I measure the pull as 7mm, but it could quite as easiley have been 7.5mm, allowing for cable flex etc.
    Do you think the shock would be better suited for a different suspension design? I think the travel adjust is a really cool idea, but obviously it doesn't seem to be a pleaser in this case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    In a word No! The problem with DT is their damper tech is several years behind everyone else. Add to that they give their service centres no provision at all to custom tune the rear shocks and you end up with a shock like the Nude 2.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well I hope they don't give up on the idea, I'd like to get good adjustable travel bike but I don't know how to get a Bionicon in the US.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I got a good deal on 2013 Spark 900 RC frame, and replaced the shock with 2014 Fox iCD and 2014 Fox iCD fork. Dont have the trail option in this setup, but other than that I love it.

How does the 2014/2015 Fox Nude shock compare to the Fox Float CTD?
    Last edited by snaxez; 05-21-2015 at 01:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Damper-wise, the Factory/Boost Valve CTD is still superior - Scott, in their wisdom, spec the Fox Nude with the Evolution-type damper on all but the very top-end Genius and Genius LT.

Scott's reasoning was that the Evolution damper gives a firmer lok-out.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well the Climb in CTD does suck for anyone who actually wants a lockout. The new shocks I think fix that though so Scott may be more interested in them.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Factory CTD shock isn't that great anyways lol. The new DPS shocks sound like they will be better.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have a spark 730 carbon 27.5..... Fox Rear Shock Float CTD Adj BV 2014 190x51mm , is this a better upgrade to the stock from the Fox Nude CTd stock one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It is, but CTD isn't the best shock out there plus you'll lose the lockout that the Nude has. I'd look at the newer DPS series.

TBH I wish i bought a Monarch RT3, but I guess the CTD works even though Climb leaves a little to be desired.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

DvB
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've gone through this thread completely but I'm not 100% clear on what my best option is for an aftermarket shock. Have a 2013 Scott Spark 930 with the Nude 2 CTD rear shock and Scott remote. I'd love to ditch the Nude 2 but preserve the remote function.

Is the Fox Float DPS 3-position remote (6.5 x 1.5) a straight swap on the 2013 bike? Does one need to change the remote's "disk" governing cable throw? Or change out the remote to a Fox-made one? Any other spacers/reducers necessary for the retrofit?

Thanks so much in advance for helping to clear this up for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You might call fox and ask them about the remote cable throw, they made both shocks so they should know. I would think them to be the same but who knows. When I bought my Float from Probikesupply they supplied the mounting hardware.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just to reiterate, the 6.5" x 1.5" Fox shocks fit into the 2012 Sparks, right?

Any thought on CTD vs DPS? CTD's are heavily discounted right now. Fox Float CTD for $250. I can get Monarch XX for same price. DPS for $380.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes 6.5" x 1.5" for 2012 29er Spark.

The CTD on the Spark has been what I would call OKAY. It's definitely not the best thing out there.

The DPS has some improvements like better small bump sensitivity, a little stronger mid stroke support, and LSC adjust in descend mode (full open). Those are all things that made a lot of sense in the DPS reviews I've read when I thought about my dislikes of the CTD.

Given my experience I think the DPS would be better on the Spark. I've sooo wanted to compare a DPS to my CTD.

I'd totally be down with a Monarch too...just for that sag gauge lol.

I also bought a 100 dollar X-Fusion O2 I scored off ebay for a backup shock. I thought it felt better and more consistent than the CTD but it just lacked (that particular model) platform that the Spark needs.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Another thing to consider is that the Climb mode on the CTD is pretty soft. It's not a lockout, it firms up the low speed a bit but will give in on hits pretty easily. I've ran races in 100% Climb mode just cuz it gave in enough to not beat me up yet keeping the bike peppy under power. I felt no need to have it in Trail.

Everything I've read on the DPS says the firmest setting is really FIRM. I'm not sure if it opens up like CTD does, but at least not so much as it seems.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Another thing to consider is that the Climb mode on the CTD is pretty soft. It's not a lockout, it firms up the low speed a bit but will give in on hits pretty easily. I've ran races in 100% Climb mode just cuz it gave in enough to not beat me up yet keeping the bike peppy under power. I felt no need to have it in Trail.

Everything I've read on the DPS says the firmest setting is really FIRM. I'm not sure if it opens up like CTD does, but at least not so much as it seems.
    I just picked up 2012 Spark Expert. I liked everything I read but the rear shock. I'll ride on it and see how it goes. If not the CTD rear, then what do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Whatever you get, it needs platform options.

DPS might be good.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What do u guys run for sag in the rear on CTD? and is this in low or high mode?
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    i was thinking DPS Factory series myself , Fox said it wont work and that the eyelet assembly is too big to fit the frame . and the only one that will is CTD SV

interested if anyone has tried or made it work

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    https://translate.google.com/transla...817&edit-text=

'12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not sure if one guy was not talking bout DPS specifically or not...seems odd it wouldn't fit.

If it doesn't then I guess buy an X-Fusion O2 or Monarch \O/.

TBH my Spark felt more normal with the random 100 dolla old XF O2 I score off eBay heheh

'12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I dont see any reason, why it should not fit.
    Here is 2014 Fox Float SV remote measurements: http://www.ridefox.com/img/help/page..._XV-EYELET.jpg
    Here are 2016 DPS SV remote measurements: http://www.ridefox.com/img/help/page...-Remote-SV.jpg

Both are exactly the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How much travel do you guys use on your CTDs? Seems like at 25% sag I only ever use 75% with my off the shelf tune... which is fine really as I prefer the lesser travel feel. I'm mostly in Trail mode in firmest position.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12