mtbr member

Closeout 2013 Genius 930 questions

Looking to buy one, and it finally got into the LBS. The shifters on the bike are different than the ones listed on the spec sheet. The bike has Shimano SLX SL-M670 on it and is listed as coming with Shimano SLX SL-M670-I.

Anyone have a 2013 Genius 930 who can chime in on what theirs came with?
    Last edited by GR1822; 05-22-2014 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    just to clarify, the "I" designation indicates i-spec, which is the system shimano uses to attach shifting levers directly to the brake lever body, as opposed to clamping the two items separately. thus an i-spec setup will just have one mounting clamp, as can be seen HERE

are you specifically looking for something that uses i-spec? shimano made a switch in the i-spec (version A to B) for the 2014 model run which caused compatibility issues. If the Bike was at the end of the manufacturing run, and Scott had been using the i-spec A brakes, they may have run dry on i-spec A shifters, and just switched to the regular.

mtbr member
    I'm not looking for the i-spec specifically, just thought that's what as supposed to come on on the bike. I like the cleaner look of the i-spec shifter, since there is A LOT of things attached to the bars.

The guy at the lbs said he likes the regular ones better because it allows for different placement blah blah blah. Who knows, he may have been just giving me lip service. Either way, I bought the bike and loved my first ride on it. Too bad I saw the fork is part of Fox's recall and won't get it back until next week.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I'm not looking for the i-spec specifically, just thought that's what as supposed to come on on the bike. I like the cleaner look of the i-spec shifter, since there is A LOT of things attached to the bars.

The guy at the lbs said he likes the regular ones better because it allows for different placement blah blah blah. Who knows, he may have been just giving me lip service. Either way, I bought the bike and loved my first ride on it. Too bad I saw the fork is part of Fox's recall and won't get it back until next week.
    I have Zee shifters (like SLX), and they have a flat top which the brake lever can rest on. These are OK. I test rode a Rocky Mountain Soul 29 which had the I-spec. I didn't like it because the brake lever was literally on top of the shifters and was getting in the way of my shifting. You should be happy your bike didn't come with I-spec.
    As for the fork, too bad that Fox recalled it, but now you can look at some new RockShox Pike 140mm forks.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie