Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Broken Scott Genius Parts?

who's broke what and why?

here's what i broke. 2009 genius 50 frame. the upper rear shock bolt broke in half and the spacers were junked. after pulling it out, i am appauled to find such a small bolt that is supposed to support 150mm of rear travel. i hope this was a fluke. i am of course waiting for my parts to arrive as i have 2 bike shops trying to work with scott to get the parts but no one is having any luck with them. i emailed them and even asked for a part number but they told me they don't do that and i have to go to a dealer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Stripped all those cable holder screws and a bent a bunch of RD hangers - Try Ace Hardware for that Bolt/Spacers

mtbr member
    Both the bearings cups, where the upper link is connected to the frame. (The bolts are hollow...on a 155mm travel bike... wtf?)

As expected, the Scott importer wont even inform the LBS if and when they will ever be available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by midas
    Both the bearings cups, where the upper link is connected to the frame. (The bolts are hollow...on a 155mm travel bike... wtf?)

As expected, the Scott importer wont even inform the LBS if and when they will ever be available.
    Here's what I'm gonna try on the pivots this winter - don't know for sure, doesn't say what year, these might be for a mc

http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/t...bearing/Detail

mtbr member
    Do you have some pictures of the broken parts? I can help you out if I can see what you actually need.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    Do you have some pictures of the broken parts? I can help you out if I can see what you actually need.
    Thanks for your offer to help

for me, on the cable holder, I already fixed with regular metric allen screws. Those are aluminum and if you strip the head on one tryin to remove, good luck, cause you'll never get a drill in there. and before you say it, yes I did use the right tool, 3mm allen w 1/4 drive

Checked my bolts on the equalizer and the upper is longer and takes a beating. I have already reassemble w locktite, so no pictures. The bolt could easily be replaced, but the bushings are some strange helm joint. I'm thinking that worst case scenario is swap out the upper helm joint with an aluminum bushing, similar to a standard fox setup. get some digital calipers

Rear pivot bushings seem to have some replacements available. It looks like Scott is trying to correct this situation, because they are listing univeral part numbers for bearings in the owners manual for the LT.

I love the genuis, especially the LT, and the concept of an all mountain bike that can be configured w 1 switch. granted the rear is not as plush as other steups. sure would be nice to start getting some cooperation from the vendors because between Scott, Fox, and the lbs there is about zero support

mtbr member
    Is your uppe shock mount the same as this one?
    http://scott-bikes.net/models/scott-...cott-genius-3/

I've made heim joint style shock hardware for a Scott Spark using the DT shock, I'm wondering how similar they are. It needed a 10mm pin through in 22mm width but was using a 6mm bolt. I don't know what the stock setup is, but they were happy with the replacements I manufactured.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like a good option for the op - only problem I can see is that the old bushing is a press fit and it would need to be removed to get the diameter. There's a steel ring with a rubber insert pressed into the shock. 2 aluminum halves ride on this insert, then the bolt goes through the halves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshdr
    Sounds like a good option for the op - only problem I can see is that the old bushing is a press fit and it would need to be removed to get the diameter. There's a steel ring with a rubber insert pressed into the shock. 2 aluminum halves ride on this insert, then the bolt goes through the halves.
    So is it basically fox style reducers but fitting the spherical bush inner diameter?
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Right

mtbr member
    Good to know. If you guys ever get stuck for shock mounts I can make some.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    good to know doug. thanks for the offer.

ya my bolt broke and the misalignment spacers were worn out. i finally got through to scott myself after waiting for 2 bike shops for a month to do it.

i got the parts and i am all good now, but they are awefully small. this bike fits me good and all but i don't know if i am up for keeping it if it is just going to brake again.

the rep at scott admitted that they have seen this bolt break before. he told me not to use the shock in HT mode over rough terrain. i don't do it anyways, but thats still stupid.

if the black bracket was thick enough, i would drill it out and put a larger bolt thru it.

asyax
    Apr 2009
    I have a 2007 Scott Genius MC20 and have broken at least four of these bolts since new. I weigh around 100kg, but with camelback etc would be around 107kg on the bike. I broke the original stainless bolt and collapsed the rear triangle into the (carbon) frame, which was pretty upsetting as it took a couple of large chunks out of the gel coat.

I am now running M6x50mm titanium bolts - see (www.racebolts.com) with better success, though broke the last doing something stupid - riding down a flight of concrete stairs with suspension in lockout. Having much better run, although I always carry a spare in my saddlebag. If you feel any slop in the suspension check the bolt torque out.

The M6 is a pretty lightweight bolt given the shear stress it is under - would love to change it to an M8 although not game. I think I may be at the weight limit on this rig, especially over rough terrain. Try the Ti bolts - they are much stronger and not that expensive when you consider it is a key component in the suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith View Post
    good to know doug. thanks for the offer.

ya my bolt broke and the misalignment spacers were worn out. i finally got through to scott myself after waiting for 2 bike shops for a month to do it.

i got the parts and i am all good now, but they are awefully small. this bike fits me good and all but i don't know if i am up for keeping it if it is just going to brake again.

the rep at scott admitted that they have seen this bolt break before. he told me not to use the shock in HT mode over rough terrain. i don't do it anyways, but thats still stupid.

if the black bracket was thick enough, i would drill it out and put a larger bolt thru it.
    Same thing just happened to me last weekend. top bolt ripped out of the rocker arm. damaged the reducer bolts, bushing. I'm a little worried that this happened on such tame terrain.

mtbr member
    I have an 09 Genius 40, and same thing happened this morning- really tame terrain, wasn't even landing anything crazy. Looks like they will warranty it, but I'm hoping they send something that can hold up better than the stock bolt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi I have the 2007 MC10 - and my upper shock bolt has snapped, the thread part is still stuck in one side, how did you mange to get this part out? Also can you just put the new bolt in with the shock on the bike, or do you need to remove any other parts?

mtbr member
    I went to the local Ace hardware for a replacement-bring in the pieces and they can help you make sure you get the right one... The lower pivot MAY use the same bolt as well. As for removing the threaded part, just buy a simple screw extractor.. you can get those at any hardware store. All you need is a power drill, and it will come right out. On mine, I didn't have to remove the shock, but mine was a 2009. I ended up selling the genius, but I always had a few extra suspension pivot bolts on hand just in case..

asyax
    Apr 2009
    I removed the rocker arm from the right hand side of the shock and unscrewed the broken bolt with multi-grips. Replaced with a 50mmxM6 titanium. Still broken a couple since. Keep one in my saddle bag. You have to check the torque regularly. If the break was catastrophic, ie you didn't expect it and the rocker arms collapsed into the frame you may need to check nothing twisted, else new bolt should go in. Probably worth letting your Scott dealer know though. I tend not to locktite the bolts in because I may need to remove it out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cheers guys, didn't break suddenly just went over time, so everything else should still be okay. i'll keep you posted on how it goes.
    Last edited by Rozer; 08-27-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    all these stories about the rear suspension bold breaking makes me a little nervous. Hopefully it never happens to me...maybe the 2012 models have improved?

mtbr member
    Broken upper bolt which kept shock on my Genius MC-10 2006. Yet I'd like to notice that is happened since 3 years of banging it all around. I was thinking about to get original hardware kit but dealer in my country can't even tell me if one exists (yet I know it is!).
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3023
Size:  9.6 KB
    Thus I bought regular steel bolt from nearest hardware shop with needed length; will see how long it'll last.

While broke that bolt, bent upper linkage badly; got new links for 30

Attachment 778091Attachment 778090
    Attachment 778092

Also about a year ago had an issue with bottom eyelets on front triangle. Yet triangle is carbon, aluminium eyelets started to develop cracks and I got triangle replacement covered by the warranty.

Attachment 778086

Now something similar seems to be happening with chain stays, not sure about the warranty thus trying to purchase spare yet unsuccessfully by now SCOTT doesn't deal with customers directly.

Attachment 778095Attachment 778096

The worst in all this that local dealer (and the only one for whole country) cannot deliver me spare parts for more than a few month, even for money I'm ready to pay.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith View Post
    who's broke what and why?

here's what i broke. 2009 genius 50 frame. the upper rear shock bolt broke in half and the spacers were junked. after pulling it out, i am appauled to find such a small bolt that is supposed to support 150mm of rear travel. i hope this was a fluke. i am of course waiting for my parts to arrive as i have 2 bike shops trying to work with scott to get the parts but no one is having any luck with them. i emailed them and even asked for a part number but they told me they don't do that and i have to go to a dealer.
    Hi. i know this is an old thread but did you work anything out to this problem? the same thing has just happened to mine and wanted to see if i could fix it myself before paying a fortune. thanks in advance, Lee

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks v helpful thread!
    I broke the same bolt and have "spent a fortune" on ebay (not quote the 100 rrp) hopefuly getting the complete new bearing & bolt set ( for expediency) though I really like the idea of upgrading the bolt to titanium as this is the second time this has hapended to me in 8 yrs of scott bike riding - and it is "rather suprising" when it happens!
    Does anyone know a good titanium bolt suplier (Superstar componets?) ? how di I specify to get the right one?
    THANK YOU!
    Richard

mtbr member
    May 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by surfschnoz View Post
    thanks v helpful thread!
    I broke the same bolt and have "spent a fortune" on ebay (not quote the 100 rrp) hopefuly getting the complete new bearing & bolt set ( for expediency) though I really like the idea of upgrading the bolt to titanium as this is the second time this has hapended to me in 8 yrs of scott bike riding - and it is "rather suprising" when it happens!
    Does anyone know a good titanium bolt suplier (Superstar componets?) ? how di I specify to get the right one?
    THANK YOU!
    Richard
    Hi, Richard. Would it be possible for you to send me the link for the kit you got on eBay. Thanks in advance, lee

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lee murray View Post
    Hi, Richard. Would it be possible for you to send me the link for the kit you got on eBay. Thanks in advance, lee
    sure

Scott genius 2009 swing arm bearing hardware kit mountain bike | eBay

if you like I will let you know how I get on with it! :-)

cheers

Richard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast